This will be the demise of P3D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This will be the demise of P3D

Blog Entries

This will be the demise of P3D

I have not used P3D since the day MSFS 2020 came out. The last time I used it was for a beta product with Milviz. It worked just fine. Since then I have been going thought the learning curve of MSFS.

Well today, I loaded up a new beta product to test. P3D loaded up through the splash screen then told me my brand new RTX 2070 GPS wasn't working for UNKNOWN reasons. Nothing has changed with my P3D setup since I last used it. I didn't even get to try and load the new beta.This happens way too often with P3D. Now, I will have to go through the trouble shooting process of deleting files and allowing P3D to rebuild them. I may have to run Repair and generally throw my hands up in frustration before I get it to work again.

I have been using MSFS daily since August 18th. Not once, has it crashed or balked. It just runs. Now, many of the planes suck, in my opinion, but that will be rectified when 3rd party aircraft hit the sim. I never flew FS9, FSX, or P3D default aircraft either.

If MSFS continues to work with all the hassle of P3D, that in my opinion will be the defining factor, not the pretty graphics. P3D will become the sim of the commercial outfits and military who can hire people to keep it running. The rest of us will migrate back into the loving arms of MS. Well, "loving" might be pushing it.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Sorry to hear about this issue. Apart from an occassional OOM - usually because I have been running the sim for hours/days and switching views, gauges, aircraft in and out excessively all the while - my P3D v4.5 is mostly error free, certainly when compared with FSX for example.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I've had the opposite, although some crashes caused by tinkering with the file structure in MSFS, but P3D V5 runs very smoothly for me. I have had MSFS crash for seemingly no reason a few times.

I'm putting it down to old hardware, but we'll see. MSFS is leaps and bounds more impressive than P3D, but P3D does have many features you will never get in MSFS - like the IR cameras, weapons, submersibles etc

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    I've had the opposite, although some crashes caused by tinkering with the file structure in MSFS, but P3D V5 runs very smoothly for me. I have had MSFS crash for seemingly no reason a few times.

I'm putting it down to old hardware, but we'll see. MSFS is leaps and bounds more impressive than P3D, but P3D does have many features you will never get in MSFS - like the IR cameras, weapons, submersibles etc
    Im the same msfs just locks up the whole pc, after getting a rtx2080ti p3d is smooth as silk

Talking to a few devs msfs lacks the coding to do military systems, so for now ive got interest in it

Not to mention the lack of rotary and some ugly ground terrian

Sometimes its better the devil you know

I see myself eventually uninstalling V4.5. But not for a long time. My GTX 1080 has run it without issue. Although now that I've built it up considerably, It does lag out every once and awhile, but it's not crashed on me but maybe a handful of times in the 2 years I've had v4. I decided against jumping on the initial bandwagon of FS2020 knowing full well a sim as advanced as FS2020 is, there were bound to be things they were going to need to get worked out first. So I'm patiently waiting to see if I need to upgrade hardware to run it better than what they suggest etc. My initial thoughts were to get it installed on it's own SSD. So I'm holding off for now. I'm also still developing stuff for P3D in the meantime. 4.5 has always been stable for me. I was happy enough with it I didn't see the need to upgrade to V5.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

I'm not moving into another Microcrud 'Game' until the dust settles and we see just how (if at all) it handles decent add-ons.
    Running both P3Dv4+ and P3Dv5 without any problems and plenty of decent additions at 4K with very satisfactory settings.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    The rest of us will migrate back into the loving arms of MS. Well, "loving" might be pushing it.
    "Loving" arms is indeed pushing it.

But indeed, MSFS is a whole new story. And on my rig, it works beautifully.

Then again, I also have P3Dv4.5, P3Dv5 and Il-2 CloD running on it. But I do think that MSFS will be the future. I don't see Lockheed-Martin continuing with P3D as a "commercial" sim. (I'm not using the word entertainment!!) I think they'll return to the flight training market.

This is of course just MHO.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I'm wondering how long it will take people to realise exactly what MSFS is. It is a game. A very, very good game. The mere fact that XBox has a massive presence in the MSFS franchise now should tell you something. That is where MS would like you to go, not your PC.

Ever wondered why you can't and won't get P3D for XBox?

LM are not stupid people. They will hone that sim into something that shines. There are too many major players in the sim world invested in it, not to.

It is far too early to see where all of this will go but it will certainly not be the death of P3D.

Flight Simulator 2020 is expected to generate 3 billion in PC hardware sales!

Not going to happen with P3D.

The challenge of running the game in high quality should stimulate hardware sales and move around $3 billion worth of hardware in three years, according to market research firm Jon Peddie Research (JPR). The company made an estimate of how players will spend to run the game based on different user-profiles and also on the possibilities offered by the simulator. According to JPR, simulation enthusiasts tend to spend more and so the movement of money around the new Flight Simulator should be impressive.

Over the next three years, the company predicts that approximately $ 2.6 billion will be spent on specific hardware to run Flight Simulator to enhance the gaming experience. The bet takes into account the game's estimated sales of 2.7 million units of the simulator in the same period.

The company notes, however, that the value moved by Flight Simulator should be even higher over the entire product lifecycle. JPR also does not consider the numbers of the Xbox Game Pass, a PC subscription service. According to Ted Pollak, analyst at JPR, the reason for so much investment in Flight Simulator with the requirements of the simulator, where we will need a more powerful PC.

In addition to the fact that the basic components of PCs have to be more powerful and consequently more expensive, the company analyst also takes into account the additional hardware. According to Pollak, simulation enthusiasts often invest in additional equipment, including monitors and other devices, to ensure a more immersive experience.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ga...are-sales.html

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

We'll see...

Flow-on effect... P3D will also run better with improved hardware. Thanks MS.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    It is far too early to see where all of this will go but it will certainly not be the death of P3D.
    And I intent to stay on P3D a very long time....

So we can still expect new aircrafts from you for P3D ? Caravelle may be, one day

Gérard

Reply with quote function isnt working.

Gaab : Caravelle is coming. It's a case of do we wait for fs2020 to settle down or release into the current maelstrom.

To everyone else

What this new game will do is increase the amount of people looking for something else. and that can only be ( at present ) provided by p3d/fsx in any form of quantity, choice, price point and topics. Will we see a split in the community. Of course we will. I suspect we'll see the OP come back to P3D.

I cant wait until the xbox crowd get onto the servers and you find your leisurely flight interrupted by 14 year old xXx69M0f1_420_xXx flying into your plane screaming racist obscenities into the microphone with the crinkle of dorito chips and mountain dew bottles in the background.

I joke... or am I?

Lucky me I don't have P3Dv4 or v5 thanks to MSFS! Will not spend a dime on anything related to LM either.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Each to their own. That is the beauty of this hobby.

Hi,
    As long as there are no carrier operations available in MSFS, I will stay on P3DV5 which satisfies me. I just bought it after being a fan of V4.5!
    More, as an amateur (and aged) modeler, I prefer the continuity of the SDK with the incremental improvements rather than having to relearn everything
    JMC

I am sure LM will keep developing and as long as the developers keep supplying planes etc for the sim, I certainly will not be uninstalling P3D V5, as I need my military aircraft fix.

Milviz is getting closer to release of their A-1H Skyraider for Prepar3D v4.5 and v5 as it has now entered beta testing.
    VRS TacPack will be supported for those who use that product. A release date has not yet been set.
    Indeed it looks as if P3D is not on the way out!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    In reading these posts, I cannot help but remember the FS9 vs. FSX debate. So many simmers, like I believe I detect here, swore they would never go to FSX. FS9 worked, they were happy with it, and they didn't want to repay for aircraft they already had.

For the record, I am not getting rid of P3D. I am frustrated and tired of always having to fiddle with it to keep it running. It reminds me of my MGB that I bought while in college. I learned auto mechanics on that car. Since I couldn't afford to pay someone else to fix it, I did all the work.

FSX was a challenge and fun to tweak. I enjoyed squeezing another FPS or two out of it. Not so now. I no longer desire to always be tweaking and fiddling. I just want the damn thing to work like my TV. I turn it on select the program and watch. Not so with P3D.

I agree with bazzar that MSFS is currently a game. So was FSX when it first came out. It was people like bazzar and other developers, both freeware and payware that helped turn it into a sim.

MSFS has the potential to become a sim, at least in the civilian world. I got into flight-simming back in the early 1990s when I saw its potential as an IFR procedural trainer. Those of you who have actually flown an approach in IMC know how busy and time compressed it can get in the cockpit. Having flown the procedure in a sim makes you familiar with what it to come, allowing you to stay in front of the airplane.

MSFS will offer developers a much larger customer base than P3D or X-Plane. I believe Flight-1 will eventually port their GNT and GTX 500-600 series over. They may even build a working G1000. Wouldn't that be refreshing. Others will jump on board as the unit sales climb. Little by little MSFS will go from just being a game to becoming a sim.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    In reading these posts, I cannot help but remember the FS9 vs. FSX debate. So many simmers, like I believe I detect here, swore they would never go to FSX. FS9 worked, they were happy with it, and they didn't want to repay for aircraft they already had.

For the record, I am not getting rid of P3D. I am frustrated and tired of always having to fiddle with it to keep it running. It reminds me of my MGB that I bought while in college. I learned auto mechanics on that car. Since I couldn't afford to pay someone else to fix it, I did all the work.

FSX was a challenge and fun to tweak. I enjoyed squeezing another FPS or two out of it. Not so now. I no longer desire to always be tweaking and fiddling. I just want the damn thing to work like my TV. I turn it on select the program and watch. Not so with P3D.

I agree with bazzar that MSFS is currently a game. So was FSX when it first came out. It was people like bazzar and other developers, both freeware and payware that helped turn it into a sim.

MSFS has the potential to become a sim, at least in the civilian world. I got into flight-simming back in the early 1990s when I saw its potential as an IFR procedural trainer. Those of you who have actually flown an approach in IMC know how busy and time compressed it can get in the cockpit. Having flown the procedure in a sim makes you familiar with what it to come, allowing you to stay in front of the airplane.

MSFS will offer developers a much larger customer base than P3D or X-Plane. I believe Flight-1 will eventually port their GNT and GTX 500-600 series over. They may even build a working G1000. Wouldn't that be refreshing. Others will jump on board as the unit sales climb. Little by little MSFS will go from just being a game to becoming a sim.
    You are probably right, but do you think P3DV5 can be compared to MSFS like FS9 to FSX? I believe that technically you are underestimating P3DV5 which uses DX12 while MSFS uses DX11 and I'm sure there are other little treats out there.
    Will MSFS supplant P3DV5 and all other simulators, the future will tell ?

JMC

Sorry to stray a bit OT here, but anyone else getting BSOD's while running P3D 4.5? The error message of course is cryptic giving little clue what's causing this.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    You are probably right, but do you think P3DV5 can be compared to MSFS like FS9 to FSX? I believe that technically you are underestimating P3DV5 which uses DX12 while MSFS uses DX11 and I'm sure there are other little treats out there.
    Will MSFS supplant P3DV5 and all other simulators, the future will tell ?

JMC
    In an upcoming update, MSFS will use DX12.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I was an "early adapter" buying MSFS on day #1. No question, the scenery is absolutely awesome right out of the box. Frankly, other than that, I have found everything else to be pretty much "Hmmmmmfpt.....". Happened to jump back on P3D last night (V5), and it was like getting together with an old friend again, flying the airplanes I like (JF Fokker F-27 last night). Like John, I'll continue to fly both sims. I recognize MSFS is in it's infancy, and it will improve as time goes on (and I get a better video card!). But I will need to do a TON of tweaking to MSFS to get it feeling as comfortable to me as P3D. For the foreseeable future, P3D will remain my "go to" for military flying (which is most of what I do), and I'll continue trying to get smarter on MSFS.

Kent

A major factor in the longer term success (or otherwise) of MSFS as a simulator will be the degree of complexity/difficulty for developers to make new content. Airports and sceneries will indeed come pouring in because the effort is lower. Aircraft, however, and I mean native not portovers, are a different story. So far the SDK is still incomplete, preventing those that do not have direct access to Asobo from delivering projects that are truly native. The development process is way more complex than P3d/FSX. Payware developers will need to lift their game as well to market products that are at least, comparative in quality to the stock content. With all due respect, it was not difficult to achieve much better models in FSX from day 1. Now, we have top quality, high-end modeling and materials/textures technologies in the stock items. The benchmark for the quality of offerings is therefore much higher if publishers want to see reasonable sales results.

This, of course, can only be good for customers. The quality of add-ons should (and must in my opinion) be of a much higher quality than the average fare in P3D. The issue will be just how many can realistically be produced by favoured developers and in what time. In the meantime, P3D could well see further improvements and multi-sim products coming on the market will be of higher standards due to the extra effort required for MSFS.

I sincerely hope MSFS does become more than a game. I enjoy it and will continue to explore it. We will develop for it as well as for P3D. But I believe you will see a lot of "multi-sim"product being first released for P3D. Cashflow is king in the business of development.

Blog Entries
    For what it is worth, I still don't have P3D V5 running again. I removed my second card, thinking maybe it was a heat or power issue. No change. I followed LM's recommended troubleshooting for graphic cards, no change.

V4.5 and MSFS2020 work just fine. V5 dies before it starts. I am sick of this $hit!
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    As a RW HC27J, MH65D Pilot, Im staying with Lockheed Pro+ 4.5 and 5. MSFS2020 isnt a Lic Commercial Academic nor Study Level. It's just Entertainment and Gaming, unless they go like XP and have a separate Commercial Lic Version. I also favor leaving MSFS2020 in the Civilian Aircraft, Warbirds and Non Combatant Military AC.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0