ATC

Thread: ATC

ATC

Searching for ATC didn't return anything so here's a topic for starters.

Any thoughts about it ?....

There's an entry in the key assignment listing that says "ATC Window 1,2,3,etc, 9" . It doesn't seem to do anything. I was hoping we can have a much smaller ATC window than the current default.

This morning i thought i'd take the ultimate performance test and fly around NYC (!9-9900K,RTX2080Ti). Not sure what i've been doing before for about 30 years but i am certainly sure now it wasn't flying, not even virtually (hint for people that think they are virtually flying with FSX or P3D..). Silky smooth as a baby's bottom and i have to see a first stutter or even micro-stutter yet (everything at Ultra, FRL at 65). (to say i didn't experience something utterly flabbergasting like this before is an understatement as ever there was ).

Anyway, while doing my fifth NYC circuit i got the urge to try ATC for the first time. A choice was ILS to JFK starting at 11000 feet so skipped that. Tuned in Westchester County Tower asking for full stop landing which was acknowledged. As i was still in shock by the almost unreal experience i just had i did not have the presence of mind to just hit the top screen and call up a map. So i didn't know where the hell i was so asked KHPN Tower for directions to the airfield. Did that a couple of times until the KHPN sign turned up at the horizon.

Left circuit for Runway 34 was the order, noticed ATC did not clear me for landing while on the upwind leg as it always used to do. Next time they called in was to turn off at next taxiway. Found how to activate taxi guidance (that's pretty nasty, hopefully gets changed sooner or later). Nice touch is the marshaller.

Life traffic was activated but i didn't hear any traffic call in what so ever. (learned later that the server was inop...)

Not sure if we have a choice of voice to represent ourselve. Anybody knows ?..

With this little ATC experience sofar i think this looks like a pretty good start.

Any ATC experience welcome !
    Last edited by Javis; August 22nd, 2020 at 02:26.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Searching for ATC didn't return anything so here's a topic for starters.

Any thoughts about it ?....

There's an entry in the key assignment listing that says "ATC Window 1,2,3,etc, 9" . It doesn't seem to do anything. I was hoping we can have a much smaller ATC window than the current default.

This morning i thought i'd take the ultimate performance test and fly around NYC (!9-9900K,RTX2080Ti). Not sure what i've been doing before for about 30 years but i am certainly sure now it wasn't flying, not even virtually (hint for people that think they are virtually flying with FSX or P3D..). Silky smooth as a baby's bottom and i have to see a first stutter or even micro-stutter yet (everything at Ultra, FRL at 65). (to say i didn't experience something utterly flabbergasting like this before is an understatement as ever there was ).

Anyway, while doing my fifth NYC circuit i got the urge to try ATC for the first time. A choice was ILS to JFK starting at 11000 feet so skipped that. Tuned in Westchester County Tower asking for full stop landing which was acknowledged. As i was still in shock by the almost unreal experience i just had i did not have the presence of mind to just hit the top screen and call up a map. So i didn't know where the hell i was so asked KHPN Tower for directions to the airfield. Did that a couple of times until the KHPN sign turned up at the horizon.

Left circuit for Runway 34 was the order, noticed ATC did not clear me for landing while on the upwind leg as it always used to do. Next time they called in was to turn off at next taxiway. Found how to activate taxi guidance (that's pretty nasty, hopefully gets changed sooner or later). Nice touch is the marshaller.

Life traffic was activated but i didn't hear any traffic call in what so ever. (learned later that the server was inop...)

Not sure if we have a choice of voice to represent ourselve. Anybody knows ?..

With this little ATC experience sofar i think this looks like a pretty good start.

Any ATC experience welcome !
    You can select your pilot from 20 + avatars in the Custom screens. I assume the voice of each one is different. I don't have voice sound and haven't spent the time to get it working, yet. I am not sure which one? It may be General?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Where exactly may one find these avatar things in custom screens ?..

Thanks!

Ok, found it (options/general/misc/pilot avatar set). Apparently only 1 voice available for now. Changing avatar doesn't change voice (although someone at avsim complains about having a female voice while i have a male voice, i think...)

Btw, also notice complaints about MSFS ATC being as bad as default FSX/P3D, no change at all. I never thought FSX/P3D was exactly bad, it could've been much better but i have always kinda liked it anyway and never flew without it. I have only used ATC for a couple VFR flights now and it's clear that it has deffinately been upgraded compared to FSX/P3D ATC. I'll try a first IFR flight soon with ATC guide. Interesting to see what's up.

Anyone tried that yet ?...

One of the things I like the most about the new ATC is that you don't have to open the ATC window to use it. If you already know by heart what selection from the ATC window is numbered, you can just hit that number on the keyboard and it will work, even without opening the ATC window. For instance, when the tower radios you, to answer back in the affirmative is always number 1. When flying a touch-and-go pattern at a specific airport, the pattern callouts are always the same number for that particular airport, so if you have them memorized you can just hit the number on the keyboard (for instance, just by pressing 5 you will state that you're on downwind without opening the ATC window).

There is also at least triple the amount of ATC frequencies at the major international airports now compared to FSX/P3D. KMSP alone, for instance, has 17 different related and usable frequencies in the sim (multiple tower frequencies, multiple ground frequencies, two different ATIS frequencies, ASOS, unicom, etc., all just for KMSP and all the same as used in reality). Also, when flying from some of the local airports near KMSP, such as KSTP and KFCM, where it's provided, there is also a new option in the ATC window just for clearance delivery at those outlying airports.

I've done a few IFR flights (letting the World Map "IFR Low Altitude Airways" option automatically map the flight plan), with ATC the whole way, and it has worked like a charm for me, evening using the A320 autopilot which is working just fine on my end.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 22nd, 2020 at 12:59.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Ok, found it (options/general/misc/pilot avatar set). Apparently only 1 voice available for now. Changing avatar doesn't change voice (although someone at avsim complains about having a female voice while i have a male voice, i think...)

Btw, also notice complaints about MSFS ATC being as bad as default FSX/P3D, no change at all. I never thought FSX/P3D was exactly bad, it could've been much better but i have always kinda liked it anyway and never flew without it. I have only used ATC for a couple VFR flights now and it's clear that it has deffinately been upgraded compared to FSX/P3D ATC. I'll try a first IFR flight soon with ATC guide. Interesting to see what's up.

Anyone tried that yet ?...
    I am glad you found it. I just saw this. Yes, regardless of the avatar, the voice is the same. I guess EditVoicePack has a bright future with the new MSFS.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    One of the things I like the most about the new ATC is that you don't have to open the ATC window to use it. If you already know by heart what selection from the ATC window is numbered, you can just hit that number on the keyboard and it will work, even without opening the ATC window. For instance, when the tower radios you, to answer back in the affirmative is always number 1. When flying a touch-and-go pattern at a specific airport, the pattern callouts are always the same number for that particular airport, so if you have them memorized you can just hit the number on the keyboard (for instance, just by pressing 5 you will state that you're on downwind without opening the ATC window).

There is also at least triple the amount of ATC frequencies at the major international airports now compared to FSX/P3D. KMSP alone, for instance, has 17 different related and usable frequencies in the sim (multiple tower frequencies, multiple ground frequencies, two different ATIS frequencies, ASOS, unicom, etc., all just for KMSP and all the same as used in reality). Also, when flying from some of the local airports near KMSP, such as KSTP and KFCM, where it's provided, there is also a new option in the ATC window just for clearance delivery at those outlying airports.
    Thanks, John, that's some great information. Lots to learn !

I've done a few IFR flights (letting the World Map "IFR Low Altitude Airways" option automatically map the flight plan), with ATC the whole way, and it has worked like a charm for me, evening using the A320 autopilot which is working just fine on my end.
    Good news! Looking forward to try that out myself (a 737 would be welcome but i will say nothing negative about Asobo )

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I am glad you found it. I just saw this. Yes, regardless of the avatar, the voice is the same. I guess EditVoicePack has a bright future with the new MSFS.
    Really loved that with FSX/P3D. But, well, i'm not sure, somehow i have a feeling that it will peek Asobo's pride to have a third party take-over what they've started. I wouldn't be surprised if ATC will be significantly upgraded even with the first big MSFS boost already. (f.i. there's this mysterious 'ATC Window 1,2,3,->,9' that does nothing at the moment)

Asobo/MS made this truly magical flightsimulator surely they must be able to get a good and realisticly believable ATC off the ground as well. If there's one thing the've proved it is that when they stick their minds and abillities together the sky is the limit !

John that's great news! I didn't know...I was in the pattern constantly opening the window! ha! I had the keys memorized after 2 patterns....good to know!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I've been using the ATC in MSFS for four days now and have some observations.

On first brush it seems to be the same as FSX/P3D as the menus are similar. But it has some improvements - as well as some new bugs. But even in this initial release it's usable for IFR, although I have seen and heard of strange altitude assignments during climb and descent.

Subtle fixes you may not notice:

- ATC no longer vectors you back and forth on approach. Vectors are much more realistic and reasonable.
    - ATC no longer constantly hands you over to different controllers enroute.
    - Tower controllers will clear you for takeoff even if they have cleared another aircraft to land, if there's time. No more holding interminably for a slow Cub to land.
    - Aircraft taxiing behind you will no longer be told to "hold position...resume taxi" constantly.

Also, for those that don't have it yet, SIDs and STARs are now an integral part of flight plans. Although they are not quite realistic: ATC won't assign a SID as a part of clearance, you hard wire it in during planning.

And, in most default aircraft, the flight management system allows input or alteration of the flight plan in flight. Unlike the default GPS of FSX/P3D.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    I've been using the ATC in MSFS for four days now and have some observations.

On first brush it seems to be the same as FSX/P3D as the menus are similar. But it has some improvements - as well as some new bugs. But even in this initial release it's usable for IFR, although I have seen and heard of strange altitude assignments during climb and descent.

Subtle fixes you may not notice:

- ATC no longer vectors you back and forth on approach. Vectors are much more realistic and reasonable.
    - ATC no longer constantly hands you over to different controllers enroute.
    - Tower controllers will clear you for takeoff even if they have cleared another aircraft to land, if there's time. No more holding interminably for a slow Cub to land.
    - Aircraft taxiing behind you will no longer be told to "hold position...resume taxi" constantly.

Also, for those that don't have it yet, SIDs and STARs are now an integral part of flight plans. Although they are not quite realistic: ATC won't assign a SID as a part of clearance, you hard wire it in during planning.

And, in most default aircraft, the flight management system allows input or alteration of the flight plan in flight. Unlike the default GPS of FSX/P3D.

Dutch
    That is encouraging news! Sounds like they took care of most of the issues with previous versions of the default ATC.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    That is encouraging news! Sounds like they took care of most of the issues with previous versions of the default ATC.
    I'd say it's more like a good start. I'd estimate it'll be the beginning of next year before it's really where it needs to be to not require an add-on for realistic ATC.

But it's clear they are working on it and didn't just leave it alone like LM did with P3D.

Dutch

It is incredible everything that Asobo and their partners have poured into this sim. Most of us are coming from a position where the sim experiences we know are due to having spent years paying for, downloading and installing a crap load of addons to make FSX, P3D, X-Plane acceptable and worthwhile sims. Here now, straight out of the box default, is a sim that needs almost none of that, and is, even post-launch, going to continue to only get better as Asobo continues working on it, developing more free features, content, and updates for years to come (their development roadmap for this sims extends 10 years into the future, and they're hopeful for much longer). There are a great many features of this sim that in the past could only have been had as addons - the intricate flight planning, the variety and depth of avionics and autopilot systems (both still in development), the weather system, the air/wind system, the camera systems, the additions to ATC (still in development), the variety of ground services and related models/animations, the world scenery with complete autogen coverage (undergoing constant updates), the 37,000+ realistic airport sceneries (undergoing constant updates), and on top of all that the most realistic lighting and graphics engine ever to be had in a flight sim to-date.

Members who have read this thread: 0