Legacy Aircraft - Page 17
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    So I have a question. I tried imported a few aircraft and everything seemed to be OK but every time I went to switch to VR, the sim crashed. Do these legacy aircraft not work in VR mode?

Thanks,
    LouP
    Correct, sadly an interior model file of MDL format will crash the game as soon as you enter VR mode.

It seems like an arbitrary decision on Asobo's part, because exterior mdl files render just fine in VR. In fact, I've been told that if you remove the interior model from the model.cfg you can use the aircraft in VR, but you will be stuck with whatever cockpit is included in the external model - usually a low-res panel with no gauges.
    Last edited by SeeRyFly; March 4th, 2021 at 12:05.

So I have a question. I tried imported a few aircraft and everything seemed to be OK but every time I went to switch to VR, the sim crashed. Do these legacy aircraft not work in VR mode?

Thanks,
    LouP
    No Lou they don't unfortunately
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Thanks guys, thought I was doing something wrong.

LouP

There is a work around to get the converted aircraft to work in VR.

1. Copy the model folder of the aircraft and name it model.vr
    2. Go into the new model folder. Delete the exterior model
    3. Go into the model .cfg remove the exterior model and rename the interior=(insert model name) to normal=(insert model name)
    4. Go into the aircraft.cfg and copy the [fltsim.] entry of the aircraft you want and make another one and rename the title=(insert aircraft name) vr
    5. Change the model entry in the new flight sim entry to model=vr

Results may vary and make backups of your files but it has worked for me every time. I can fly legacy aircraft in VR without it crashing.

Thanks, first stab was a failure. Will try again tomorrow. Do the [fltsim] for a single paint need to be consecutive?

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    There is a work around to get the converted aircraft to work in VR.

1. Copy the model folder of the aircraft and name it model.vr
    2. Go into the new model folder. Delete the exterior model
    3. Go into the model .cfg remove the exterior model and rename the interior=(insert model name) to normal=(insert model name)
    4. Go into the aircraft.cfg and copy the [fltsim.] entry of the aircraft you want and make another one and rename the title=(insert aircraft name) vr
    5. Change the model entry in the new flight sim entry to model=vr

Results may vary and make backups of your files but it has worked for me every time. I can fly legacy aircraft in VR without it crashing.
    Hi unfortunately I couldn’t get this to work. It loads normally but crashes when switching to vr.

My god it works.
    There's a couple of missing steps in the instruction though but I manager to figure it out.

6. Change the ui_variation = line and add VR to the end
    7. restart the Legacy Imported and choose "Select MSFS aircraft legacy or native", Browse to the imported plane and "rescan aircraft files".

When you select the plane in MSFS make sure to choose the livery with VR in the name.

I've tried two planes so far.
    First I tried the GAS Travel Air Magic One but that didn't work, both the external and internal views were invisible.
    Then I tried the Real Air Spitfire and it worked perfectly.

The only caveat is that as the plane only has a partial external model in the VC when you try and view the outside in sim it looks really odd, parts of the plane are missing, but I'm not fussed about that as I fly from inside the cockpit.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Various WWII warbirds and a beautiful sunset over Sicily!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    My god it works.
    There's a couple of missing steps in the instruction though but I manager to figure it out.

6. Change the ui_variation = line and add VR to the end
    7. restart the Legacy Imported and choose "Select MSFS aircraft legacy or native", Browse to the imported plane and "rescan aircraft files".

When you select the plane in MSFS make sure to choose the livery with VR in the name.

I've tried two planes so far.
    First I tried the GAS Travel Air Magic One but that didn't work, both the external and internal views were invisible.
    Then I tried the Real Air Spitfire and it worked perfectly.

The only caveat is that as the plane only has a partial external model in the VC when you try and view the outside in sim it looks really odd, parts of the plane are missing, but I'm not fussed about that as I fly from inside the cockpit.
    Yes I forgot those two steps. I was just trying to go from memory. Thank you.

NP and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
    I had given up on the idea of imports as I fly exclusively in VR now.
    Once you've tried VR it's really hard to go back to pancake mode
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I got a couple working in vr by using the method of getting rid of the vc entirely as the regular models had pretty good virtual cockpits built in but I wound up trashing them anyway as both flight models were just too squirrelly. A slight breeze from the side and you're doing a ground loop. :-(

LouP

I bought the Travel Air pack from GAS today especially so I could convert them for VR.
    They work great and because they have full 3D models built into the VC they even look good in external view, they fly really nice too.

Had to edit the screen texture settings in MCX to get rid of the milky look and the coolant temp gauge doesn't work in the watercooled 2000, the only one thats not 3d modeled. All other gauges are full 3d so work great.
    Not sure if there's a fix for the coolant temp, anyone have any ideas ?

I'm really happy with them, I needed some more biplanes, the Carenado WACO's a lovely model but the it's still to much of a handful on the ground whereas the Travel Air's are a joy.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

GAS Travel Air's, VR compatible.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	81934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	341.8 KB 
ID:	81935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	81936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	81937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	355.7 KB 
ID:	81938
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Eurofighter over Bahamas

No external mods. Enabled certain A2A weapons.

GENHUD only mod. MFD mods next.

I'm have a problem trying to port the Vertigo Stearman.

The initial conversion went well using the latest version of the legacy importer.
    it looks good in sim, no transparency issues or anything but the engine wont start. It cranks over for a few seconds and then stops, both on the runway or parked.
    I'v been all the way back through this thread and see some have converted it OK so it must be doable.
    I've tried editing the runway.FLT mainly using the default C152 as a template so all switches etc. should be on but it still just cranks but never starts.

Anyone have any ideas ?
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

The initial conversion went well using the latest version of the legacy importer.
    it looks good in sim, no transparency issues or anything but the engine wont start. It cranks over for a few seconds and then stops, both on the runway or parked.
    I'v been all the way back through this thread and see some have converted it OK so it must be doable.
    I've tried editing the runway.FLT mainly using the default C152 as a template so all switches etc. should be on but it still just cranks but never starts.

Anyone have any ideas ?
    Engines are cranky in MSFS If systems.cfg file and engines.cfg file don't agree in some way, you're not starting anything. Check your fuel also, some aircraft load up with empty tanks. As a last resort, slew up to altitude, that normally fires up engines if they're able to work.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Engines are cranky in MSFS If systems.cfg file and engines.cfg file don't agree in some way, you're not starting anything. Check your fuel also, some aircraft load up with empty tanks. As a last resort, slew up to altitude, that normally fires up engines if they're able to work.
    Thanks for the suggestions DC but that wasn't it, plenty of fuel in the tank and airstarting it didn't work.

I have however fixed it

I had been testing the N2S/PT-17 variant and hadn't yet tried the Model 75 so I did and it fired up just fine, so now I had something to check against.
    First I compared the engine and systems as per your suggestion, Systems where the same but the engines where different, they do have different engines though so that wasn't a total surprise.
    However the N2S lists the max_design_mp and min_design_mp as 0 which can't be right. I tried both copying the numbers from the Model 75 over and copying the whole engine.cfg over but still no go so that wasn't it.

Those numbers can't be right set at 0 in the N2S though, anyone know the correct numbers and would it make a difference how it performs ?

Then out of curiosity I compared the flight_model.cfg, although I didn't think there would be anything in it that would stop the engine from working, I was wrong. There's a [FUEL] section and in there is
    electric_pump = 0 ;
    engine_driven_pump = 1 ;
    manual_pump = 0 ;
    In the N2S they were all set to 0 so I set the engine_driven_pump to 1 and it fired right up.

Success now I just have to test fly them.

A couple of the gauges dont seem to work correctly, the fuel gauge sits at just over zero and the engine temp gauge is stuck at 40, they maybe fixable in MCX so I'll look into that later.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I have the same issue with Nigel's Tutor.... has anyone been able to bring it into MSFS yet? No gauges working and the same engine issue here. I've tried emailing Nigel but no joy... hope he's well...

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    I have the same issue with Nigel's Tutor.... has anyone been able to bring it into MSFS yet? No gauges working and the same engine issue here. I've tried emailing Nigel but no joy... hope he's well...

C
    I just tried it and didn't have any problem with the engine starting.

Unfortunately the gauges are all 2D XML so they don't work, they have to be 3d gauges built into the model to work.
    The easiest way to see if they will work or not is to load the interior model into MCX and zoom in on the panel, if you can see the gauges and the needles all work when you move the animation slider then your good to go.
    If the gauges all show as a black and white checkerboard pattern then your SOL.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Anyone have any ideas ?
    Had this issue until I left it in the basic format when converted and use the legacy model in MSFS. Works perfectly! Using this Stearman to fly the route of the Cannibol Queen.

LouP

Had this issue until I left it in the basic format when converted and use the legacy model in MSFS. Works perfectly! Using this Stearman to fly the route of the Cannibol Queen.

LouP
    Sounds like a cool adventure.

I'm happy with it now seeing as it just took a basic cfg tweak to fix and it flys fine in the modern flight model in MSFS.
    Engine sounds are a bit rough but that should be easy enough to fix and it could really do with some higher res textures, there very noticable in VR.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I put some payware stearman sounds in it ( simMarket: IMMERSIVE AUDIO - BOEING STEARMAN PT-17 SOUNDPACK HD FSX P3D ) and they seem to have come over and work fine in msfs. I don't suppose you could share the tweak. Also, anyway to fix the previews in msfs?

LouP

I put some payware stearman sounds in it ( simMarket: IMMERSIVE AUDIO - BOEING STEARMAN PT-17 SOUNDPACK HD FSX P3D ) and they seem to have come over and work fine in msfs. I don't suppose you could share the tweak. Also, anyway to fix the previews in msfs?

LouP
    Its all in my post above but basically open the flight_model.cfg and in the [FUEL] section look for
    electric_pump = 0 ;
    engine_driven_pump = 0 ;
    manual_pump = 0 ;
    and change engine_driven_pump = 0 to engine_driven_pump = 1
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Another plane, another problem.

This time its with Ant's Tiger Moth, another one I've seen that some here have ported.
    I've tried with both the Tiger Moth Pro and with the older non pro version and I get same thing.

Roll and yaw work fine but in the pitch if I pitch down that's fine but if I pitch up I can pull the stick back about 3/4 and its fine any further than that it behaves like I've centered the stick.
    It's not a controller problem, all other plane behave as they should. I've also tried copying over the flight_model.cfg from another biplane that I know works and the problem goes away. That's not a permanent solution though as it's not the right flight model.

I really don't know what I'm doing with flight models but can usually get my head around thing if someone nudges me in the right direction

Anyone have any ideas ?
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Another plane, another problem.

This time its with Ant's Tiger Moth, another one I've seen that some here have ported.
    I've tried with both the Tiger Moth Pro and with the older non pro version and I get same thing.

Roll and yaw work fine but in the pitch if I pitch down that's fine but if I pitch up I can pull the stick back about 3/4 and its fine any further than that it behaves like I've centered the stick.
    It's not a controller problem, all other plane behave as they should. I've also tried copying over the flight_model.cfg from another biplane that I know works and the problem goes away. That's not a permanent solution though as it's not the right flight model.

I really don't know what I'm doing with flight models but can usually get my head around thing if someone nudges me in the right direction

Anyone have any ideas ?
    I believe what you're seeing is essentially a stall where when you pull too hard there is not enough lift to keep it pitching so it just mushes. A rough fix would be to increase the cruise_lift_scalar in the [flight tuning] section. Of course this will have ripple effects so you may then need to adjust the elevator effectiveness or angle to be a bit lower

Members who have read this thread: 10