Legacy Aircraft
Contribute Now
Goal amount for this year: 10000 USD, Received: 5,960.00 USD (60%)
Welcome Back, Unregistered     Today's Date:       Current Time: 

Please Support the SOH "2021 Charter Membership Drive"




Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 396

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

  1. #1

    Legacy Aircraft

    Has anyone converted over a legacy aircraft and with what success..?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Has anyone converted over a legacy aircraft and with what success..?
    Tried last night, but failed, even with msfs style configs.

  3. #3
    Unless this is impossible, this flightsim will not enter my rig
    Best regards, Manfred.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Unless this is impossible, this flightsim will not enter my rig
    You don't know what you're missing, I mean, you REALLY don't know.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    You don't know what you're missing, I mean, you REALLY don't know.
    I'll second that!

    I am also disappointed by the complexity of converting ore even remaking my sceneries for the new sim but I will learn, in time...

    For the moment I am just enjoying simply flying over the world, and I don't mean just sightseeing, real GA flying with all the realism and fantastic flight dynamics.

    True, nothing military or fast jet yet but it will come for sure.

  6. #6
    Have a chat with Dean from DC Designs. He's converting his Eagle to this sim!

    Priller
    Intel i7 9700K
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard
    Asus RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I'll second that!

    I am also disappointed by the complexity of converting ore even remaking my sceneries for the new sim but I will learn, in time...

    For the moment I am just enjoying simply flying over the world, and I don't mean just sightseeing, real GA flying with all the realism and fantastic flight dynamics.

    True, nothing military or fast jet yet but it will come for sure.
    I will thrid that! Missing all of my wonderful FSX classic biplanes, but the GA experience in world expoloration is very good. Not a fan of the ICON, MS needed a Cessna float at least. This launch is less than a week old however. The future looks very bright indeed.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

  8. #8
    I've been using this sim since early May, daily, and I'm still not feeling like needing any extra planes or scenery. I've been really having a great experience with the default/stock aircraft (unlike any we've seen in a flight sim out of the box), and of course the world and weather are absolutely stunning. For me to be interested in adding a new aircraft to the sim it is going to have to be at least on par with the default aircraft (visually, sound-wise, and flight dynamics), and that is no easy task. The few payware P3D straight port-overs I've seen in some previews look terrible in this sim compared to the default aircraft (easy to see the lower polygon count of the FSX/P3D models and the flat/lifeless textures). The developers doing it right have or are in the process of completely rebuilding their product aircraft from the ground-up to make use of the increased modeled detail (higher polygon counts) now supported and the PBR materials.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I'll second that!

    I am also disappointed by the complexity of converting ore even remaking my sceneries for the new sim but I will learn, in time...

    For the moment I am just enjoying simply flying over the world, and I don't mean just sightseeing, real GA flying with all the realism and fantastic flight dynamics.

    True, nothing military or fast jet yet but it will come for sure.
    I found the same to be true with XPlane. Had great hopes of converting all my scenery to work in XP and found it was impossible and I was looking at completely rebuilding everything. . .this appears to be a similar case so my scenery building will stop with FSX/P3D. . ."If" my current system allows me to enjoy this new Sim at a level (standard version) that looks better than my current FSX/P3D world. If I have to dumb down 2020 to fly then it's a no brainer where I'll stay.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

    Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

  10. #10
    Completely agree with Bomber_12th here.

    From what I can tell, polygon limits have increased somewhat (the MSFS 747 has something like 500,000 polygons, and the DA62 twin interior model file summary alone has 360,000 (although in the viewport it says 634,00 triangles!)- the FR B-24 Liberator maxed out at approx. 450,000), and as John says, mastering the new materials and sound production will be essential. The SDK is far from complete right now, however.

  11. #11
    I do understand all your arguments very well. Every videos I watch are simply amazing and yes, if other planes or sceneries than the MSFS default aircraft are indifferent to you, you might be in seventh heaven (hihi, what a pun ).
    But let me explain. I had been a big fan of the Harrier and in 2009, my dreams come true to find it in FS2004. Also in FSX and P3Dv4. I started to build RAF Gutersloh for FS2004 and had a lot of fun with all other Royal Air Force aircraft since then. Flightsim means bringing back all those days, the memories and - especially - gives me the opportunity to create own air bases and abandon airfields of those days. So all these options are gone abruptly.

    But my perfect sim means to get all in one - not yet and at same time, but sometimes.

    Being not a friend of MSFS is not the sims mistake, is mine. I also don't like smartphones very much because I don't catch the real point of it. So much stuff inside, but so much more stuff I don't need. Oh my god, you can watch flims with it - but hey, I do prefere watching films in HD on my big TV screen at home! Not everything that is new and - admittedly - awesome is useful to me, same with MSFS.
    But maybe in 2 or 3 years it will catch my interest, and I will hark back to it when hopefully many of those aircraft or sceneries will find their way into MSFS - and when I will understand the SDK to get my own modest sceneries into it (still sooo damn tempering with Brüggen...)

    My sims world is having all aircraft inside I am grow up with and most of the sceneries they can fly into - but even abandoned air bases are simply hidden in MSFS! So just because there are no military options inside it currently, I will have to wait for....patiently.
    Hope this can explain my current reluctance, for now, but nor forever certainly...
    Best regards, Manfred.

  12. #12

    Update

    From the August 20th Development update. for what its worth.

    "For complex aircraft, WebAssembly is still undergoing active development. We are working on some much-needed features and providing code to help port existing C++ aircraft."

  13. #13
    I fully get that FSX/P3D planes are not going to look as good or fly as well in MSFS.

    At the same time, there are hundreds of planes available for those sims that will likely not be created for MSFS for years, if ever. I'd rather fly around MSFS Hawaii in Piglet's ported FS9 Kingfisher for a couple of years than have no Kingfisher at all. Ditto niche planes like the X-24, T-34, C-141, etc.

    I hope someone creates a utility that will allow a portover of FSX/P3D planes that have XML gauges. I don't want to see these sold as payware, or billed as native MSFS planes as often happens with sloppy transfers of FS9 planes to FSX on certain download sites. But it'd be nice to have the option if you have a favorite niche plane you love.

    Particularly given how much work it's going to take to make top-quality MSFS planes.

    The stuff included in the box with MSFS is amazing and awesome But as a fan of 40-60's aircraft, realistically, it's going to be a long time if ever before we see a wide selection of those, it'd be nice to have a "stopgap" option.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I fully get that FSX/P3D planes are not going to look as good or fly as well in MSFS.

    At the same time, there are hundreds of planes available for those sims that will likely not be created for MSFS for years, if ever. I'd rather fly around MSFS Hawaii in Piglet's ported FS9 Kingfisher for a couple of years than have no Kingfisher at all. Ditto niche planes like the X-24, T-34, C-141, etc.

    I hope someone creates a utility that will allow a portover of FSX/P3D planes that have XML gauges. I don't want to see these sold as payware, or billed as native MSFS planes as often happens with sloppy transfers of FS9 planes to FSX on certain download sites. But it'd be nice to have the option if you have a favorite niche plane you love.

    Particularly given how much work it's going to take to make top-quality MSFS planes.

    The stuff included in the box with MSFS is amazing and awesome But as a fan of 40-60's aircraft, realistically, it's going to be a long time if ever before we see a wide selection of those, it'd be nice to have a "stopgap" option.
    +1 My intention...but cold war airplanes...Stopgap would be enough to me to explore the new world with.
    Best regards, Manfred.

  15. #15
    SOH-CM-2021 jmig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,335
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I fully get that FSX/P3D planes are not going to look as good or fly as well in MSFS.

    At the same time, there are hundreds of planes available for those sims that will likely not be created for MSFS for years, if ever. I'd rather fly around MSFS Hawaii in Piglet's ported FS9 Kingfisher for a couple of years than have no Kingfisher at all. Ditto niche planes like the X-24, T-34, C-141, etc.

    I hope someone creates a utility that will allow a portover of FSX/P3D planes that have XML gauges. I don't want to see these sold as payware, or billed as native MSFS planes as often happens with sloppy transfers of FS9 planes to FSX on certain download sites. But it'd be nice to have the option if you have a favorite niche plane you love.

    Particularly given how much work it's going to take to make top-quality MSFS planes.

    The stuff included in the box with MSFS is amazing and awesome But as a fan of 40-60's aircraft, realistically, it's going to be a long time if ever before we see a wide selection of those, it'd be nice to have a "stopgap" option.
    I fully agree. Since I fly inside the cockpit, shiny aircraft skins and reflections aren't as important to me. I am more interested in flight dynamics and accurate systems that allow me to do most of the functions found in the real airplane. I do not believe that is currently attainable in the MSFS default aircraft.

    The ones I have flown, most notable the Bonanza have horrible flight dynamics. The only time I have seen 170 kts is when I look away and the airplane heads straight down to the ground. I have yet to get one of these aircraft trimmed correctly. (which could be me) I am still trying to get my controllers to work correctly with the program.

    If someone can get a good P3D aircraft working correctly in the sim, I will try it. Maybe afterwards I won't like the missing eye-candy, we will see however, I imagine.

    The point is, I see MSFS default as shinny new toys. They are pretty to look at and the simple ones nice to use sight-seeing. They are a good harbinger of what is to come. However, I don't think they are yet mature.
    John

    ***************************
    My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II


    Intel Six Core i7 8700 @ 5.0 GHz
    16 GB DDR4 RAM
    2 Intel SSD 500 GB SATA 3 Drives and 1 950 GB SSD for PD3 V4
    GTX 2070 Super 8GB VRAM, GTX 970 4 GB VRAM Video Cards
    IR Track 5
    Currently using single Optoma 1040P beamer and two touch screen monitors for instruments.

  16. #16
    I have only flown and still flying Cessnas (172 and 152) and Supercubs in real life. My opinion of their flight dynamics in MSFS is that they are very very accurate, including the "feel". My controllers are tuned with abt -20 in sensitivity which helped a lot.

  17. #17
    SOH-CM-2021 jmig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,335
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I have only flown and still flying Cessnas (172 and 152) and Supercubs in real life. My opinion of their flight dynamics in MSFS is that they are very very accurate, including the "feel". My controllers are tuned with abt -20 in sensitivity which helped a lot.
    I learned to fly in a C-152 back in 1965. I have several hundred hours in the C-172/182 series. I haven't tried them in MSFS. From reading on the MSFS site it seems the Cesnna's, with possible exception of the 208, are accurate.

    The Bonanza is one of the aircraft many people are deriding. When ever I have flown it, It seems to stay between 125-135 kts and is always searching for the correct altitude. Every time it tries to climb on the autopilot, it slows down to the point the nose drops to try and regain airspeed. I have never flown a Bonanza (above my pocketbook) in RL but I KNOW it goes faster than 130kt average. It will also climb higher than 3500 feet.
    John

    ***************************
    My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II


    Intel Six Core i7 8700 @ 5.0 GHz
    16 GB DDR4 RAM
    2 Intel SSD 500 GB SATA 3 Drives and 1 950 GB SSD for PD3 V4
    GTX 2070 Super 8GB VRAM, GTX 970 4 GB VRAM Video Cards
    IR Track 5
    Currently using single Optoma 1040P beamer and two touch screen monitors for instruments.

  18. #18
    Might I take a moment to remind all that this what?
    Roughly one week of the Sim being released into the wild........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".
    Commodore 64

  19. #19
    I haven't seen anyone discuss turbulence? Might this be the issue with the hunting?

    I just installed it last night, so it will be quite some time before I get it set up to my liking I imagine, but, first impression flying around New England from Southern NH to KACK in the Cirrus, the turbulence model is blown way out of proportion. I had to go in and turn it off (which you can't, you can only turn it way down). I've got a couple hundred hours flying in this region, and I had real weather turned on and the air was really smooth last night from ground level anyway (2 knot wind late at night), and my plane was being tossed all over the place. With turbulence like that it would be impossible to trim the plane no matter how hard you tried for level flight. Turning the turbulence down helped, but, I've never experienced turbulence like that (I don't tend to fly in thunderstorm weather, haha). Bumps when you fly under a cloud or over a hot highway, bumpy ride, but not such that the plane is porpoising +/-200 ft at a time each second (not a controller thing).

    Turning on the Altitude Hold with the autopilot smoothed the flight right out, but the plane had this slight roll/lean to the left that I couldn't get out. Of course, I'm not much of an autopilot guy, and I have no real understanding of the details of using it, so that could be my issue.

    Anyway, I'm going to investigate this weather thing, see what I can do about it. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips on setting weather?

    Otherwise I'm super happy with it. Everything looks REALLY close to what it's like to fly around my area. Except for the town hall in the center, my neighborhood looks really close to what it is, including my house and the dirt parking lot next door. I mean, my house doesn't look at all like my house in detail, but all the homes, close enough. Pretty awesome. And just flying around Mt. Monadnock (too much trees on top, but, close enough), landing and taking off from KAFN Silver Lake (yep, exactly like I remember it)(well, a bit too busy, haha, but it's just fun). The Bourne and Sagamore bridges need to be replaced, half of KASH looks ok, the other half, eh; but, as was said above, wow, I don't need to think about the scenery, I hopped in, and I could concentrate on flying and the airplane, like, really flying. So cool, I can see I'm going to spend a lot of time here.

  20. #20
    Agreed about the turbulence effect. The basis imho is good. I was able to identify areas where turbulence was expected from thermals like when crossing over a shore or near ridges. I was happily surprised to see this. the intensity however may be a bit too much. If there is a slider for it I will try it out.

  21. #21
    Don't get me wrong, I basically agree with what had been said, but, I don't think the flight dynamics of all the aircraft are accurate. For example I have about 250 hours in Diamond aircraft IRL, DA42, DA40, DV20-C1, and I can tell you that the DA62 with very much much the same configuration as the 42, lacks the adverse yaw if the real thing. In fact most aircraft in this sim lack any realistic adverse yaw. In fact, vertical stability, would be the thing that I would would pick on as needing to be improved. This part of all the flight models, feels like it's on rails to me. That's not stopping me from having a blast. I'm just saying in terms of "realism" it's lacking. IMHO of course.
    Commercial AS/MEL & Instrument
    Certified Airplane Nut
    Gigabyte AORUS Master X570 MB, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X,
    Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15, 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600, RTX 2080 Super, WD 1TB SN750 NVME, Win 10 Pro 64, SeaSonic Focus Gold 850W, Fractal Meshify S2.

  22. #22
    From FB and DC Designs.

    SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DC Designs freeware is coming to MSFS!

    I'm just working some things out at the moment, but fingers crossed, the P-61C Black Widow and the RF-61C Reporter will feature in MSFS soon. These are direct FSX ports and will not be as flashy and beautiful as native models, but they look surprisingly good in MSFS and are fun to fly - they also work well with the modern flight model system too!

    More info as it comes in - I'm working on this process in the background with another developer who is the real talent in developing this workflow.






    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 118388450_2747196088934706_3176382298237620440_o.jpg   118404143_2747196155601366_5920776459356076644_o.jpg  

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    From FB and DC Designs.

    SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DC Designs freeware is coming to MSFS!

    I'm just working some things out at the moment, but fingers crossed, the P-61C Black Widow and the RF-61C Reporter will feature in MSFS soon. These are direct FSX ports and will not be as flashy and beautiful as native models, but they look surprisingly good in MSFS and are fun to fly - they also work well with the modern flight model system too!

    More info as it comes in - I'm working on this process in the background with another developer who is the real talent in developing this workflow.







    Awesome!
    I was checking out the file layout and formats, holy cow there's a lot of files that will be needed going forward.

    While you're at it, we need more sea planes, I'll take a Beaver (amphibious), a U206, a Goose, and a Cub on floats.

    And for straight up, of course a T-6, Beech D-18, a Cherokee ('73 Challenger would be awesome!), a Ryan PT-22 would be sooo awesome, a Stearman, A Skyraider (since Piglet's plane is so nice!), a Corsair and P-38 would be really cool to start with for Warbirds... a Soptwith Pup to round out the early planes... All those and I'd be good for at least a year

    But, really thanks so much!! Can't wait. It'll be so nice to hear those radials churning again in here!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I haven't seen anyone discuss turbulence? Might this be the issue with the hunting?

    I just installed it last night, so it will be quite some time before I get it set up to my liking I imagine, but, first impression flying around New England from Southern NH to KACK in the Cirrus, the turbulence model is blown way out of proportion. I had to go in and turn it off (which you can't, you can only turn it way down). I've got a couple hundred hours flying in this region, and I had real weather turned on and the air was really smooth last night from ground level anyway (2 knot wind late at night), and my plane was being tossed all over the place. With turbulence like that it would be impossible to trim the plane no matter how hard you tried for level flight. Turning the turbulence down helped, but, I've never experienced turbulence like that (I don't tend to fly in thunderstorm weather, haha). Bumps when you fly under a cloud or over a hot highway, bumpy ride, but not such that the plane is porpoising +/-200 ft at a time each second (not a controller thing).

    Turning on the Altitude Hold with the autopilot smoothed the flight right out, but the plane had this slight roll/lean to the left that I couldn't get out. Of course, I'm not much of an autopilot guy, and I have no real understanding of the details of using it, so that could be my issue.

    Anyway, I'm going to investigate this weather thing, see what I can do about it. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips on setting weather?

    Otherwise I'm super happy with it. Everything looks REALLY close to what it's like to fly around my area. Except for the town hall in the center, my neighborhood looks really close to what it is, including my house and the dirt parking lot next door. I mean, my house doesn't look at all like my house in detail, but all the homes, close enough. Pretty awesome. And just flying around Mt. Monadnock (too much trees on top, but, close enough), landing and taking off from KAFN Silver Lake (yep, exactly like I remember it)(well, a bit too busy, haha, but it's just fun). The Bourne and Sagamore bridges need to be replaced, half of KASH looks ok, the other half, eh; but, as was said above, wow, I don't need to think about the scenery, I hopped in, and I could concentrate on flying and the airplane, like, really flying. So cool, I can see I'm going to spend a lot of time here.
    Hmm, maybe that was just the SR22... Just flew the Icon, and it's much more stable in the air, none of the constant jerks up and down (no change in controller settings... I really don't think the issue was my controller. Could be wrong, but it didn't feel like it, as control inputs felt normal to me in response.).

  25. #25
    On the topic of turbulence/bumpy flight - some of it might just be one's controller sensitivity setting. By default, the sensitivity setting for controller axes in the sim is too high for most controllers. For instance, if I leave it at the default setting, the planes with the most sensitive flight handling will be having constant up/down movements (due to my joystick controller never being perfectly steady - at rest, it always makes the most minute/tiny movements). I have my joystick and rudder pedal axes sensitivities set at -25 and it feels perfect to me, leaving the deadzones at 0.

    Also on the topic of turbulence, I love that when flying over dense forests they seem to generate their own thermal effects, as they should, and the air can get quite bumpy flying over lots of trees. It is especially fun experiencing up and down drafts flying over mountain ranges and down low through big city skyscrapers. Flying over the Yosemite Valley, about a month ago during testing, I experienced some very powerful drafts that was like riding an elevator up and down.

Members who have read this thread: 462

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •