Legacy Aircraft - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 810111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by SeeRyFly View Post
    I believe what you're seeing is essentially a stall where when you pull too hard there is not enough lift to keep it pitching so it just mushes. A rough fix would be to increase the cruise_lift_scalar in the [flight tuning] section. Of course this will have ripple effects so you may then need to adjust the elevator effectiveness or angle to be a bit lower
    It hadn't even occurred to me that it was a stall but now you say it that makes perfect sense.
    Thanks, time to start experimenting.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Re Ant's Tiger Moth Pro
    Roll and yaw work fine but in the pitch if I pitch down that's fine but if I pitch up I can pull the stick back about 3/4 and its fine any further than that it behaves like I've centered the stick.
    I have the problem in Modern FM too - watch the horizon sideways as you pull gently back on the stick and at around 2/3rds deflection the nose drops, relax the pull a little and it comes back up.
    In normal flight it's not much of a problem but (eg) you can't do a loop, it won't come back past the vertical. You can do a nice stall turn or chandelle though
    A bunt (half outside loop) is possible - but you can't complete the full outside loop.
    A clue is that the stick doesn't move back and forth (just side to side) and neither rudder nor elevator move in outside view.
    I guess Ant has some custom stuff somewhere that's lost in the import, or maybe the aerodynamics of the elevator are in the air file?

Use the legacy flight model and elevator works normally and you can loop OK, but the aerodynamic edges get messy and strange things happen.

It's a shame because the Tiger Moth is otherwise really nice in MSFS, I think Ant has commented on the Moth before, maybe he will again.

Cheers
    Keith

AH_Fairchild_C119

English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Out of curiosity if for example you have the CH yoke setup in FSX can those Controls be copied over to MSFS?

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Classic Wings Curtiss-Reid Rambler Mk III
    Flies really nicely with the modern FM, no pilot in external view as its set up for VR so only using the VC model.
    Still needs a little tweaking but mostly done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rambler.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	543.8 KB 
ID:	82331
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Ants Tiger Moth MSFS 2020 REPAINTS?

Hello All,

Are there any repaints for the above version if so can anyone advise Link/s

Thanks
    Charlie McEwan
    Best Regards
    Charlie

Is it just me, or has today's MSFS update 1.60.2.0 completely destroyed most Legacy Importer converted aircraft, to the point where they are unflyable? So far, most aircraft I have imported just gyrate impossibly and wreck as soon as the throttle is advanced.

August

RealAir and AH Spitfires behave like you describe, but Ant's Tiger Moth is fine, as is the Flight Replicas Bf109.
    I'm thinking it's something in the .FLT files, need to compare those that work with those that don't...

I haven't had that on any of the planes I've tried so far, mostly GAS planes.
    I have noticed that taildraggers seem to need a lot less rudder juggling on takeoff and landing than before, even the Carenado WACO seems better to me.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Legacy Planes Broken by 5/25/21 Update

Thanks. Well, as a community, I guess it's up to us to fix this. I have tried some more of my planes, and found that some work and some don't. Some of the broken ones are: Iris P-40E, RealAir Spitfire, AH Hurricane, Warbirdsim Mustangs. Some that appear to be OK include: AH P-47, A2A P-47, Wozza's T-6, GAS planes, Flight Replicas P-40N, Milviz P-38. I haven't seen the problem on any jets yet, but I don't have many of those.

The broken ones all seem to have the same issue. The engine generates about a million horsepower, and burns through all of its fuel in about 10 seconds. If you spawn the plane in the air and have airframe stress damage turned off, you can survive long enough to exhaust the fuel. Once the power quits, the plane otherwise seems to behave okay. But if you add fuel so the engine starts up again, you get the same problem as originally.

I believe the issue is in the AIR file. I just copied the AIR file from a plane that still works (Flight Replicas P-40N) into one that doesn't (Iris P-40E), and it solved the problem.

AIR files are not something I have tinkered with in the past. Hopefully someone here can troubleshoot this.

August

Noticed the fuel thing too...can glide in for a dead-stick landing OK once fuel exhausted (VERY quickly) or refuel for more craziness.
    Don't think it's the FLT files.
    The FR Halifax works but the B-24 doesn't (with same runway.flt), so following your tip I copied and renamed the Halifax AIR file to the B24...initially crazy as before, but on refuelling engines are OK.
    Hmmm...

Two more observations.

1. I opened some AIR files with AIRED. So far, all the broken models have AIR files with a lot of entries that say [UNUSED] or [OBSOLETE]. The ones that work don't have those entries. Does that mean that some of the planes have old junk from past sims, like FS2004 or whatever, in their AIR files that could be causing the problem? Is it possible/safe to delete the unused and obsolete parts of an AIR file? Some of the [OBSOLETE] parts include manifold pressure scalars which I think might be the source of the problem, see below.

2. I tried setting the power_scalar of a broken plane (Iris P-40E) to 0.001 in the aircraft.cfg. That value turned out to be a little low, but it does (over)correct the power output and fuel consumption, and give me time to look around the cockpit for other issues. What i noticed is that the manifold pressure gauge jumps right to the peg as soon as I advance the throttle beyond idle. So I think this bug is increasing engine manifold pressure, maybe not by 1000x, but by a lot.

Maybe we can fix this in the aircraft.cfg file somehow. I was reading Yves Guillaume's Flight Dynamics guide, and it says:

OBSOLETE_AIR. When an aircraft is (re)loaded MSFS always checks if all required parameters in the aircraft.cfg exist. If this is not the case it will first try to look up the values from the AIR-file (OBSOLETE_AIR_*) and if found will add the equivalent lines and values to the aircraft.cfg. If the obsolete AIR-file records do not exist, MSFS will add a default value (normally 0 resp. 1 for scalars). This applies to mandatory lines in aircraft.cfg only. Optional parameters are not transferred from the AIR-file.Example:If wing area does not exist when the aircraft is loaded, MSFS will look for R1204_1 and will add the line and the value to aircraft.cfg. If R1204 is not present, wing area is set to 0.

So maybe MSFS is not finding something in aircraft.cfg and is going to the AIR file to replace it with an obsolete value, which is way off. On planes that don't have obsolete values in their AIR files, it just uses a default value which is reasonable and works. This suggests we could fix this bug either by stripping the obsolete values from the AIR files, or by adding the missing value to the CFG file.

August

Okay, I just tried my own suggestion and it looks like it works. I have the RealAir Spitfires, Iris P-40E and AF Corsairs working again, and they seem all right.

Here is what you do to get your legacy plane working again.

Go to https://www.aero.sors.fr/fsairfile.html, download and unpack AirEd 1.52 and the updated ini file.

Backup your plane's AIR file, load the original into AirEd. Right-click and pick REMOVE RECORD for every record that says UNUSED or OBSOLETE. Save the file.

Rebuild your JSON and delete that plane's CVT folder. (Not sure this is necessary but just to be safe.)

We probably don't need to delete all of those records, the problematic one seems to have to do with piston engine characteristics so if you want to be surgical you could experiment with which ones need to be deleted, but there doesn't seem to be any harm in deleting them all. Most of them are redundant with entries in aircraft.cfg, you can tell just by looking at them.

August

Good work!
    Wonder if it's something to do with supercharging?

Tried on the RA Spit and FR B-24, just taking out obsolete engine and propeller entries and both now work fine

Thanks. And, whew! Yesterday evening I thought Asobo/MS had really screwed us over. I've invested quite a bit of time in tweaking these port-overs. So it's a relief that this seems to be an easy fix. Of course, for anyone who doesn't read this forum -- well, I pity the fool, as a great man used to say.

This does make me wonder whether some of the funky behavior we observed in some planes we tried to port was already caused by this obsolete stuff in the AIR file. I'll be paying close attention to see if the handling of some of my more marginal planes has improved for the better, relative to before the update. It might be worth revisiting some of my earlier conversion attempts that looked all right, but didn't fly properly.

I don't think it was supercharging. The Vertigo Stearman was one of the broken planes.

Before fixing this, I did have the accidental fun of doing a 700+ knot vertical climb to the edge of space in an Iris P-40E. I reckon I topped out around 100,000 feet or so, could see stars in the black sky. The plane flopped around quite a bit on re-entry, there being not much air to stabilize the plane with. I was in a hurry to try to find a fix, so I didn't take the time to glide down and land, space shuttle style. Maybe later I'll restore the old AIR file and try it.

August

I ran into a new problem that turned out to be linked to the above problems.

Some of my portovers that worked just fine before the update would no longer start, they would just crank for a few seconds and then stop.
    After trying a few other things I deleted the obsolete and unused entries in the airfile's and they started working again

Thanks August for finding the aired fix for the other problems I would never have thought of trying it for this one otherwise.

If this truly doesn't have any other side effects, and I haven't noticed any so far after a couple of test flights it looks like we have a new step to perform in porting over to do.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

A little delirium

I created this aircraft (totaly fictionnal) in 2013 from parts taken from other models (float, wings, etc).

A little French delirium in a way that allowed me to understand how to get my digital displays accepted by MSFS among other compatibility problems.
    It also allowed me to manage the textures using MCX so as to get the brightnesses etc.

The upper box indicates the DME and ETE of the next waypoint of the flight plan (or the final destination in the case of direct flight), the selection of the next waypoint is made during the passage on the current waypoint.
    This replaces the FsX GPS which is no longer operating under MSFS and allows you to move from POI to POI without having to search for them.

Download link:http://frenchvfr.free.fr/download.ph...=786&tconfig=0

Details pictures:

Looks like a really cool aircraft, but my password required for the French-VR site apparently is different from the one to actually download the file?? It will not work. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Looks like a really cool aircraft, but my password required for the French-VR site apparently is different from the one to actually download the file?? It will not work. NC

The Username and Password are done for every file to download with bold characters (black or red) on the yellow line.

Here :

Username= captain

Pwd= alderaban

Quote Originally Posted by beercan View Post
    The Username and Password are done for every file to download with bold characters (black or red) on the yellow line.

Here :

Username= captain
    Thank you! Had I read the instructions, I wouldn't have had a problem! NC

Link's much appreciated - I'll have to do a few circuits around PHNL later!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

A couple of questions on some porting problems I'm having with some GAS planes

1st, Chrome. For instance the Stearman C3B has a lovely chrome prop spinner but when ported to MSFS it's a dull grey.
    I figure its either a texture problem, maybe the alpha or more likely a Material Editor setting in MCX needs tweaking but I can't figure it out what.

2nd, float planes wildly bouncing around, I get this only with the Stearman S76D1 from the Super Stearman pack and the WACO UBF-2 float plane.
    I know that in FSX/P3D this would usually be a contact point problem but they work fine in FSX & P3D and no amount of messing with the contact points in MSFS fixes it.
    I have found that swapping out the air file from another float plane that doesn't bounce around does fix it but I only consider that as a temporary solution as other air file settings probably affect the flight dynamics.
    I have stripped out all the obsolete and unused entries in the air files but it did it before doing that too.
    So it must be something in the air file but I have no idea what.

Anyone have any ideas on either of these problems ?
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Legacy Aircraft - port over of B-26

Thanks for the pointers on how to import legacy aircraft. I was able to start the import of Milton's B-26 Marauder. It flies okay with the default parameters (a bit underpowered) but I will tweak it to more realistic parameters a bit later. The exterior looks great but the cockpit needs working instruments. Very good start and certainly a work in progress. Here it is flying out of Martin State (KMTN) on a stormy night (7/1).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milton_s_B26.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	893.1 KB 
ID:	83474

Members who have read this thread: 10