Legacy Aircraft - Page 14
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

Guys,

Just wanted post a heads-up that the new FSX native Junkers Ju 52, posted to the library a few days ago, ports semi-decently into MSFS via Legacy Importer with the usual settings.

The exterior and interior models look fine. The converted XML gauges mostly look okay, but pretty much none of them show accurate readings. So you'll have to fly seat-of-the-pants. Not too difficult with this bird.

Flight characteristics seem okay on Modern with whatever controller setup you use for most other planes. It will weathervane like crazy into a crosswind when on the ground, like other MSFS planes.

Visibility from the cockpit is excellent and it is fun to go sightseeing around Europe with.

August

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Flight Simulator 1_20_2021 1_32_32 PM.jpg  

I am loving the Virtavia Phantom in MSFS. If only the VC had gauges and the option for VR view. That would be awesome. The canopy looks like caca, but I don't know how to use MCX yet. NC

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.01.20 - 14.34.59.75 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.01.20 - 14.40.58.08 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.01.20 - 14.45.10.94 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Oh NC you are making MSFS tempting seeing my old favorites in (A-7, A-6) the game. Boca Chica looks real inviting. May re-look when the Iris F-18 drops or HELOS!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Meteor 3 converts quite well, a bit shiny though.
    Here is a new interior model without the annoying 2D panels.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/oh0p6b

Rob

Meteor 3 converts quite well, a bit shiny though.
    One of my favourites when I was doing FSX imports
    Don't suppose there is any chance of a VR-compatible version?
    That would be amazing...
    Cheers
    Keith

I was wondering, possibly any updates on these 3 port-overs ?...

T-28: a mixed bag, looks good, gear flaps anims work, gauges work and look good but you sit inside the pilot figure in the VC, lots of wireframe objects both inside and out and no sound (yet). Anybody any better luck ?..

Stearman : no luck (yet) with replacing the sound suite.( freeware Stearman soundset for FS9/FSX by SkySong) Anybody any luck ?

Ant's TigerMoth Pro : imports very well, removed clickspotarea's (both inside and out) by deleting [VCockpit02] in panel.cfg. Replaced soundsuite with Ant's freeware Tiggie soundsuite to get sound back. Works fine. Bummer no anims and seems elev-trim doesn't work while it does in the freeware version. Does anybody have an idea possibly to get the pilot figure back in the back seat ? ( it must be the Tiggie config menu here that prevents it ?... No chance to get it to work ?...)

Any hints, tips welcome !

My new favorite FSX conversion. The Mirage 2000. Ported without a problem. Afterburner works right out of box. Only thing missing is the HUD. I need to figure out how to get the GENHUD working.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (230).jpg   Screenshot (231).jpg  

Which Stearman is that and what problem are you having with the sounds?

August

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I was wondering, possibly any updates on these 3 port-overs ?...

T-28: a mixed bag, looks good, gear flaps anims work, gauges work and look good but you sit inside the pilot figure in the VC, lots of wireframe objects both inside and out and no sound (yet). Anybody any better luck ?..

Stearman : no luck (yet) with replacing the sound suite.( freeware Stearman soundset for FS9/FSX by SkySong) Anybody any luck ?

Ant's TigerMoth Pro : imports very well, removed clickspotarea's (both inside and out) by deleting [VCockpit02] in panel.cfg. Replaced soundsuite with Ant's freeware Tiggie soundsuite to get sound back. Works fine. Bummer no anims and seems elev-trim doesn't work while it does in the freeware version. Does anybody have an idea possibly to get the pilot figure back in the back seat ? ( it must be the Tiggie config menu here that prevents it ?... No chance to get it to work ?...)

Any hints, tips welcome !

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Which Stearman is that..
    It's the Vertigo Studios PT-17 Vol 1 edition for FSX ( https://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/product/pt17-vol1/ )

..and what problem are you having with the sounds?
    I don't like 'em..

The model looks pretty nice, ports pretty well too and deserves a much better soundsuite if you ask me.

Tried Aaron Swindle's Skysong freeware Stearman soundsuite ( ptstrsnz.zip) but can't seem to get it to work.

( actually can't check it in FSX because i re-installed FSX but all i get sofar is a black screen..... i suppose that's Windows 10 strutting its stuff.... )

Ran the Stearman files thru the 'Select MSFS Aircraft' part of the Legacy Importer and checked the sound Tab. Looks all good but really have no clue what it actually does. I did click 'Update sounds list'. Wav files in the folder all work and sound well. Sound.cfg looks good.

I did the same for Ant's Tiggie because the sound did not work with the Pro version. Replaced it with the soundsuite of the freeware version which *does* work.

No clue why it won't work, for the time being, for the VS Stearman...

Well, Swindle's sound set works fine with the Vertigo Stearman ported to MSFS for me. Sound sets don't really need to be converted, they just get copied over. Try installing it AFTER porting over the plane, like I did:

- port over the plane with its own stock sounds
    - unpack the Swindle sound set into a new folder like "sound.ss" within your MSFS Stearman folder
    - copy the following generic FSX WAVs (needed by Swindle's sound set but not included) from your FSX sounds folder into the sound.ss folder with Swindle's sounds: cmtouch7, cmtouch8, cncrash1, cncrash2, cnroll, cnroll2, cnroll3, cnroll4, cnroll5, cnroll6, cnsplas1, cnsplas2, smblylnd, smwngscr.
    - change all the [fltsim] entries in your aircraft.cfg to point to the new sound folder by changing the sound line to "sound = ss ;"
    - rebuild layout.json

The version I have is just called stranz.zip, by the way. The date in the sound.cfg is 1/22/07. I don't see where to get the ptstranz version now. But this method should work regardless.

August

P.S., just located the ptstrsnz version on flightsim. Installed as above, works great, no issues.

August

Good shots NC. I think it looks even better without those ferrying tanks. Give that a shot too.

Dino's F-14

MILVIZ F-86F.

Metal2Mesh Mirage 2000.

Guys, how is the jet's behaviour on more high speed? And how is the performance with more detailed scenery with them generally?
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Guys, how is the jet's behaviour on more high speed? And how is the performance with more detailed scenery with them generally?
    Manschy, the jets, in my experience, do not seem to reach the high speeds as in P3D. I don't know how to adjust the aircraft's. cfg. file to compensate for MSFS2020's current limitations either. The handling is ok. The biggest problem that I have is throttle response. It is not working correctly. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Guys, how is the jet's behavior on more high speed? And how is the performance with more detailed scenery with them generally?
    Almost all of the FSX/P3D portovers fly just fine; at high subsonic and even supersonic. I would like to echo what NC said about the throttle response: Unlike native models, you cannot just throw the throttle around (for most of them), and you have to be quite gingerly especially when going from 0-100. From high to low it's not an issue really. Be sure you are flying in the Legacy Flight Model.

Here's the list that I have that work very well for me.

MILVIZ F-86
    IRIS A-10
    Dino's F-14
    Metal2Mesh Mirage 2000
    Lotus L-39
    Razbam A-7 (Tweaked the aircraft.cfg quite a bit on that and changed .air file.)

And as for performance, I have zero issues with any of the ones mentioned above with the specs below. You results will vary based on your specs.

i9 9900K (overclocked to 5.3)
    32GB RAM (PC3200)
    2080ti
    2 1tb NVME2 Drives
    Last edited by GO_Navy; January 24th, 2021 at 06:28.

Quote Originally Posted by GO_Navy View Post
    Almost all of the FSX/P3D portovers fly just fine; at high subsonic and even supersonic. I would like to echo what NC said about the throttle response: Unlike native models, you cannot just throw the throttle around (for most of them), and you have to be quite gingerly especially when going from 0-100. From high to low it's not an issue really. Be sure you are flying in the Legacy Flight Model.

Here's the list that I have that work very well for me.

MILVIZ F-86
    IRIS A-10
    Dino's F-14
    Metal2Mesh Mirage 2000
    Lotus L-39
    Razbam A-7 (Tweaked the aircraft.cfg quite a bit on that)

And as for performance, I have zero issues with any of the ones mentioned above with the specs below. You results will vary based on your specs.

i9 9900K (overclocked to 5.3)
    32GB RAM (PC3200)
    2080ti
    2 1tb NVME2 Drives
    GO Navy..... would you please share what your A-7.cfg tweaks are? It would be most appreciated!! NC

I'm more a fan of native planes, but I figured I'd try the Legacy Converter out on the Flight Replicas Bf-109Z I'd purchased for P3D right about the time I mostly stopped flying P3D.

Worked really well for the most part! Instruments, transparency, and systems all seem good. Feels a bit underpowered and it's squirrely on takeoff, but that could probably be tweaked.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bf-109z-2.jpg   bf-109z-1.jpg   bf-109z-.jpg   bf-109z-3.jpg  

Well, Swindle's sound set works fine with the Vertigo Stearman ported to MSFS for me. Sound sets don't really need to be converted, they just get copied over. Try installing it AFTER porting over the plane, like I did:

- port over the plane with its own stock sounds
    - unpack the Swindle sound set into a new folder like "sound.ss" within your MSFS Stearman folder
    - copy the following generic FSX WAVs (needed by Swindle's sound set but not included) from your FSX sounds folder into the sound.ss folder with Swindle's sounds: cmtouch7, cmtouch8, cncrash1, cncrash2, cnroll, cnroll2, cnroll3, cnroll4, cnroll5, cnroll6, cnsplas1, cnsplas2, smblylnd, smwngscr.
    - change all the [fltsim] entries in your aircraft.cfg to point to the new sound folder by changing the sound line to "sound = ss ;"
    - rebuild layout.json

The version I have is just called stranz.zip, by the way. The date in the sound.cfg is 1/22/07. I don't see where to get the ptstranz version now. But this method should work regardless.

August
    Thanks very much, August !

Didn't think about the generic FSX wav files sofar but more important i completely forgat about the layout.json...

My excuse it's the first time i venture onto this slippery slope ( i just replaced the sound department of the Tigermoth Pro's layout.json and folder with that of the freeware version, worked right away)

Wondered a bit about "rebuild layout.json" initially but got a "MSFSLayout Generator" so i figure all clear now.

Thanks a lot again !

Cheers,
    Jan

You can also rebuild layout.json just using the Legacy Importer.

At the main screen of Legacy Importer, click the P-51 on the right ("Select MSFS Aircraft"). Browse to your already imported legacy model folder. In the Init screen, click the "Rescan aircraft files" bar. That rebuilds the layout.json. Then close LI, you're done.

This process should work for the sounds on your Ant's Pro Tiger Moth too, unless Ant did something funky with DRM for those.

Can't help you with the visuals as I only have the free Tiggie and am happy with it. There's probably a way you can switch on the student pilot using ModelConverterX.

August

You can also rebuild layout.json just using the Legacy Importer.

At the main screen of Legacy Importer, click the P-51 on the right ("Select MSFS Aircraft"). Browse to your already imported legacy model folder. In the Init screen, click the "Rescan aircraft files" bar. That rebuilds the layout.json. Then close LI, you're done.
    That's just beautiful. Thanks August !

This process should work for the sounds on your Ant's Pro Tiger Moth too, unless Ant did something funky with DRM for those.
    The sound with Ant's freeware Tiggie worked right away. In the Pro version the windsound was all that could be heared. But i didn't know then what i do know now.

Can't help you with the visuals as I only have the free Tiggie and am happy with it. There's probably a way you can switch on the student pilot using ModelConverterX.
    Ah, Ok ! I'll give that a go. Never worked with ModelConverterX before. Will be interesting and maybe who knows i can get the two pilot figures back in the external model. Just one in the front seat looks funny somehow.

Many thanks again, August !

Cheers,
    Jan

Members who have read this thread: 10