Legacy Aircraft - Page 16
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

Best Freeware Portover Jet for MSFS 2020

I've fiddled around with a large number of fsx jets ported to MSFS. I have got to say that Dino's freeware F-14D is by far my favorite. Very close to or exceeds some current MSFS payware aircraft IMHO. I need some help populating the MFD's and rcb gauges for automatic sweep wings. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

Outstanding achievement, shipmate! NC

Quote Originally Posted by GO_Navy View Post
    I've fiddled around with a large number of fsx jets ported to MSFS. I have got to say that Dino's freeware F-14D is by far my favorite. Very close to or exceeds some current MSFS payware aircraft IMHO. I need some help populating the MFD's and rcb gauges for automatic sweep wings. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Outstanding achievement, shipmate! NC
    Hey Chief! long time no see. Hope you're well. Did nothing, no achievement on my part. I just ported over a freeware.

Hey Chief! long time no see. Hope you're well. Did nothing, no achievement on my part. I just ported over a freeware.
    Oh, I wouldn't poo-poo such a successful undertaking. I have ported a few, but never have been able to figure out how/what gauges to port, and just how to get things done successfully. With many of the VCs, I end up with zero gauges, plus the flight model is all out of whack. I can sometimes get the model to fly ok in Legacy, with adjustment of the slider settings, but often it is a waste of time. I have watched a few videos, but have yet to fully understand how to do things correctly to achieve the best results. NC

Dean's Rhinos

Ported over Dean's FSX/P3D Rhinos as a temporary fix until he gets a chance to bring the native aircraft. Models are gorgeous but some problems still persist (few textural/canopy transparency/VC gauges; etc). However, this is the best hornet/Rhino solution IMHO until there is a native version.

Ported over Dean's FSX/P3D Rhinos as a temporary fix until he gets a chance to bring the native aircraft. Models are gorgeous but some problems still persist (few textural/canopy transparency/VC gauges; etc). However, this is the best hornet/Rhino solution IMHO until there is a native version.
    Well this will be interesting. I know Dean is a member of these forums. I have also been told that he went after someone on Youtube who imported his Concorde from FSX to MSFS, calling it an illegal file modification. If that's true, I wonder if he feels the same about your pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeRyFly View Post
    Well this will be interesting. I know Dean is a member of these forums. I have also been told that he went after someone on Youtube who imported his Concorde from FSX to MSFS, calling it an illegal file modification. If that's true, I wonder if he feels the same about your pictures?

Yes, I know Dean and have been his customer since the initial release of Rhino and follow on products. Obviously this portover is for personal use only and if asked by Dean, I will remove this post. Don't think it'll be an issue. Not trying to start anything here.

RealAir Spitfire portover help needed

I bought the FSX version not long ago, but am having difficulty understanding just what settings to choose, etc...., for it to port over correctly and work in MSFS. I have watched the various tutorial videos and read written tutorials, but it still confuses me. I would appreciate some help from anyone who would be willing to do so? NC Maybe PM me?

I bought the FSX version not long ago, but am having difficulty understanding just what settings to choose, etc...., for it to port over correctly and work in MSFS. I have watched the various tutorial videos and read written tutorials, but it still confuses me. I would appreciate some help from anyone who would be willing to do so? NC Maybe PM me?
    Same here Navy Chief!!!

You know, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to to be providing help and discussing issues specific to port aircraft over. But it just turned out to be another screenshot forum.

LouP

Yes, I know Dean and have been his customer since the initial release of Rhino and follow on products. Obviously this portover is for personal use only and if asked by Dean, I will remove this post. Don't think it'll be an issue. Not trying to start anything here.
    Sorry, certainly not accusing you of anything improper as I don't believe working with files you already paid for should be an issue. I was disappointed by the comments I heard and was just curious to see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gribouil View Post
    Same here Navy Chief!!!
    Are you having a specific problem with it? Most functions in Legacy Importer are optional in the end. I imported the Spit before LI even existed so I can't give you a list of settings but of the ones I can think of very few/none are firmly required.

Chief,
    You have to be very specific with your problem. If you are using the latest LEGACY IMPORTER V0.25, it literally takes 30 seconds. Zero tweaks needed and it flies and looks great.

Make sure you pick the right main file 'RealAir Spitfire XIV 2007' to portover. You can also portover the rest but you will have to Alias it correctly in the Community folder or you'll have to copy/paste the panel folder from the main aircraft folder to other folders.

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    You know, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to to be providing help and discussing issues specific to port aircraft over. But it just turned out to be another screenshot forum.

LouP

Did you ask a specific question and didn't get the answer? I have asked questions on this forum and folks have responded and helped me out in the past. Some questions are difficult to answer and some folks are literally looking for you to provide them line by line support which may or may not be possible. I think it is assumed that most people have a general understanding of FSX Folder Layout, can work with the .cfg files, and can use tools like MCX to fix certain issues.

Anyway, I think it may be worth starting a new thread with help for beginners if that is what you're after. I see this thread as a showcase for what FSX stuff works well in MSFS, but I have also gotten/provided support in this forum.

Yeah, the thing about porting legacy aircraft is sometimes they just work, and sometimes they just... don't. Sometimes the fix is as simple as altering a .cfg file, sometimes it's as complicated as editing the model files and recompiling everything. I basically gave up trying to import most aircraft because even when they import well, they almost never import "correctly" and don't tend to fly as they should.

My advice is to download the Legacy Importer from HERE. Scroll all the down and make sure you download the newest release. READ THE README, it is required if you want the process to go smoothly. In my experience, the simpler the aircraft is the better it will fly. The RealAir Spitfire is a good example of an aircraft that imports well. Something like A2A's aircraft that rely on Accu-sim do not import well as they rely on external modules to make their aircraft work as they do. I have had good results with Warbirdsim's aircraft as well. Try one aircraft at a time. Some imports will cause your game to crash, usually upon startup when the sim scans your Community folder.

There is a lot of info in this thread as well as the FSX Import Showcase on the official forums, over HERE. A more in depth guide can be found on the FSdeveloper forums, over HERE.

Chief,
    You have to be very specific with your problem. If you are using the latest LEGACY IMPORTER V0.25, it literally takes 30 seconds. Zero tweaks needed and it flies and looks great.

Make sure you pick the right main file 'RealAir Spitfire XIV 2007' to portover. You can also portover the rest but you will have to Alias it correctly in the Community folder or you'll have to copy/paste the panel folder from the main aircraft folder to other folders.
    I had previously ported the Spitfire, and I probably had chosen the wrong model this time. I need to go back and check. There were no gauges in the cockpit and the canopy glass was not transparent. But what caused me to do a second conversion was that I couldn't get the flaps to respond. NC

I had previously ported the Spitfire, and I probably had chosen the wrong model this time. I need to go back and check. There were no gauges in the cockpit and the canopy glass was not transparent. But what caused me to do a second conversion was that I couldn't get the flaps to respond. NC

Without knowing the specifics,
    I suggest you:

1) Ensure you have the main aircraft folder (the one all other aircraft panel/textures are aliased to) transferred over first.
    2) During the transfer and with the V.25 LI open, you EXTRACT PANEL GAUGES RESOURCES
    3) EXTRACT BULK EXTRACT GAUGES RESOURCES
    4) TOGGLE ALL AND IMPORT PANEL GAUGES

That should work. I deleted mine from community folder and redid the transfer and it works perfectly everytime.

I have no issue with canopy transparency but if you do, use MCX and that can be fixed in a minute as well. I have posted earlier on this forum on how I fixed the transparency issue with gauge glass. Just go up and look at the pics of BF-109.

Without knowing the specifics,
    I suggest you:

1) Ensure you have the main aircraft folder (the one all other aircraft panel/textures are aliased to) transferred over first.
    2) During the transfer and with the V.25 LI open, you EXTRACT PANEL GAUGES RESOURCES
    3) EXTRACT BULK EXTRACT GAUGES RESOURCES
    4) TOGGLE ALL AND IMPORT PANEL GAUGES

That should work. I deleted mine from community folder and redid the transfer and it works perfectly everytime.

I have no issue with canopy transparency but if you do, use MCX and that can be fixed in a minute as well. I have posted earlier on this forum on how I fixed the transparency issue with gauge glass. Just go up and look at the pics of BF-109.
    Thank you so much for the tips. All seems to have worked fine. I do see a couple anomalies that are strange. If I am on the runway, the engines are running of course, and the flaps are down. If I try to raise the flaps, they immediately return to down position, and will not stay up unless I take off and attain some altitude. Also, when on the runway, as soon as I release the parking brake, the throttle goes to full automatically.

If I am parked on the flight line for start of the flight, the engine is expectedly off. The flaps are up, and when I do start the engine, the flaps do go down, but only when I select them. Plus they do retract and stay up. When I release the parking brake, the aircraft throttle does not automatically increase. NC

Smile

Thank you so much for the tips. All seems to have worked fine. I do see a couple anomalies that are strange. If I am on the runway, the engines are running of course, and the flaps are down. If I try to raise the flaps, they immediately return to down position, and will not stay up unless I take off and attain some altitude. Also, when on the runway, as soon as I release the parking brake, the throttle goes to full automatically.

If I am parked on the flight line for start of the flight, the engine is expectedly off. The flaps are up, and when I do start the engine, the flaps do go down, but only when I select them. Plus they do retract and stay up. When I release the parking brake, the aircraft throttle does not automatically increase. NC

My best guesstimate is that YOUR PC and YOUR FLIGHTSIM is possessed by ghosts. Someone somewhere doesn't want to simming. You seem to move from one problem to another. Time to hang it all up, Chief!

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post

LouP
    The way I see it, it's both. When someone needs help with a specific plane, help is a post away. In the meantime, the screenshots are a showcase of what does, or occasionally doesn't work.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

My best guesstimate is that YOUR PC and YOUR FLIGHTSIM is possessed by ghosts. Someone somewhere doesn't want to simming. You seem to move from one problem to another. Time to hang it all up, Chief!
    Nah, I consider the problems as challenges. Some people like jigsaw puzzles; I prefer FLIGHTSIM puzzles. NC

Here are a few recent videos of legacy aircraft flights we've done. I have a spectacular warbird video that I hope to post this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3QzINRYpiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-fv0Zhytc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra84yQO7N38

Do you possibly have the AI copilot turned on? That's the only thing I can think of - it seems like the game is trying to fly for you here.

Navy Chief,

I'm wondering if the source of your problem is the RUNWAY.FLT file. This is a file in your aircraft's folder that sets the starting aircraft state (engine on, parking brake set, etc.) for when you spawn on the runway for a free flight. Legacy importer generates a RUNWAY.FLT file, but it makes some assumptions about how I want the plane set up that I don't like, so I always go in and change it. You can just use Notepad to edit it.

Legacy Importer assumes you are flying an A320 or something, so it starts with the flaps handle set to 20% down. A Spitfire only has two flap positions, so 20% down means full down. To start with flaps up, go to the [CONTROLS.0] section and changes the flapshandle line to

flapshandle = 000.00 ;

For the issues with the throttle, maybe the engine settings are set wrong. I think Legacy Importer, again assuming you are flying an A320, has the initial throttle set too high in the RUNWAY.FLT file it creates. My [ENGINE PARAMETERS1.0] section is:

[ENGINE PARAMETERS.1.0]
    pct engine rpm = 0.1 ;
    throttleleverpct = 0 ;
    propellerleverpct = 1 ;
    mixtureleverpct = 1 ;
    leftmagneto = True ;
    rightmagneto = True ;
    generatorswitch = True ;
    fuelpumpswitch = False ;
    enginemasterswitch = True ;
    ignitionswitch = 1 ;

That gives me a nice idle. Actually, that's so slow that some engines will stall after a few seconds, so be sure to crack your throttle to 10% or so right after you spawn.

I'm not sure why your initial settings come back after you move your controls - that's not supposed to happen. Maybe try working your controls back and forth so that they override the initial settings. Be sure to do this AFTER you hit the "Ready to Fly" bar after the starting animation. Anything you do before you hit that bar, doesn't count.

When you spawn on the tarmac, your starting condition is governed by a file called APRON.FLT which Legacy Importer does not create, so you probably don't have one in your Spitfire folder. That may be why that is working better for you - the flight is just starting with the FS defaults.

August

Meet the Russian

Meet the Russians. These two ported over beautifully and fly very well.

MiG-29A

Su-33

So I have a question. I tried imported a few aircraft and everything seemed to be OK but every time I went to switch to VR, the sim crashed. Do these legacy aircraft not work in VR mode?

Thanks,
    LouP

Members who have read this thread: 10