Legacy Aircraft - Page 5
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

NC, that is great to see and very interested now that I might be able to at least fly all my mil trainers in the new sim. Continuing to follow the progress.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    NC, that is great to see and very interested now that I might be able to at least fly all my mil trainers in the new sim. Continuing to follow the progress.
    You will have to do the conversions yourself I am afraid as without authorisation from the original aircraft devs, they should not be distributed. However, I made a guide to help you Check out my post on the prev page.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Thank You!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Not working yet...just a taster: CheersKeith

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Not working yet...just a taster: CheersKeith
    OMG - my heart is beating a lot faster!
    Best regards, Manfred.

I'm going to throw these out here... don't know if anyone can suggest anything, but after porting all the aircraft.cfg and airfile data for the Lotus L-39 into MSFS, a few observations on it's handling (I'm using the 'modern' flight model FWIW):

1) Response to flight controls is sluggish - they seem to have about half the 'authority' then P3D, e.g. a roll in P3D takes about 4 seconds, it takes 8 in MSFS. Aileron, Elevator & Rudder all equally lacking. I also noticed that the amount of physical deflection of the control surfaces in the animations are significantly reduced at speed compared to on the ground. Coincidence (this does NOT occur in P3D)? Any ideas as to what tables/variables to look at?

2) Jet engine seems significantly overpowered... to the drag is wrong. Thoughts?

3) The landing gear is fine when starting cold and dark (i.e. at a gate/ramp parking spot), but on a runway, ready to fly, landing gear is retracted. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    I can email you two JSON files, that should be all you need...pm me your email.Create the folder structure \Community\Islander\SimObjects\Airplanes\and copy your "Flight One BN-2 Islander" folder into it from an existing installation.Put the two .JSON files into the Islander folderStart MSFSThe Islander SHOULD be there and flyable, I don't know if anyone has tried this before but it should work....Yes, I had that GPS for P3D, it doesn't help for MSFS as the problem is only 3D gauges in the MDL file are supported for now.CheersKeith
    Thank you very much for the files. It worked perfectly to get the bird in the game. Er, I mean the aircraft in the sim.

She looks pretty dang good. Especially for a model from a decade ago.

As you said, the radios don't work and there are some gauges with no needles but there was enough to safely fly her. Hoping the sim evolves to support more gauge types.

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    I'm going to throw these out here... don't know if anyone can suggest anything, but after porting all the aircraft.cfg and airfile data for the Lotus L-39 into MSFS, a few observations on it's handling (I'm using the 'modern' flight model FWIW):

1) Response to flight controls is sluggish - they seem to have about half the 'authority' then P3D, e.g. a roll in P3D takes about 4 seconds, it takes 8 in MSFS. Aileron, Elevator & Rudder all equally lacking. I also noticed that the amount of physical deflection of the control surfaces in the animations are significantly reduced at speed compared to on the ground. Coincidence (this does NOT occur in P3D)? Any ideas as to what tables/variables to look at?

2) Jet engine seems significantly overpowered... to the drag is wrong. Thoughts?

3) The landing gear is fine when starting cold and dark (i.e. at a gate/ramp parking spot), but on a runway, ready to fly, landing gear is retracted. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?
    1) from going through things, I think we need to include the TOTAL wing area now and not just the top surface, so doubling those Surface Area values seems to display the sim forces in the right area on my native conversion.

2) Sorry haven't messed with Jets, sticking with Pistons

3)Hmm not seem this sorry.

Thank you very much for the files. It worked perfectly to get the bird in the game.
    My pleasure
    This happened to me following the latest patch...don't know if it was a one off or will happen again.CheersKeith

Blog Entries
    Could someone help bring Mine and Roberts P-61s into MSFS?? I couldnt understand what needed to be done to do it..
    Pam..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Could someone help bring Mine and Roberts P-61s into MSFS?? I couldnt understand what needed to be done to do it..
    Pam..
    I would be very happy to help with that!

Are you wanting to do a quick port over our a full native conversion?

I can have the port over done in an afternoon, full native takes a little longer 😁😁🛩️🛩️

Very happy to walk you through the process as well!

Quote Originally Posted by OzWookiee View Post
    I would be very happy to help with that!

Are you wanting to do a quick port over our a full native conversion?

I can have the port over done in an afternoon, full native takes a little longer ️️

Very happy to walk you through the process as well!
    Also happy to assist

You guys do know Dean is working on his P-61C and F-15 Reporter (Not to mention F-15 Eagle Package) for MSFS right now? I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. He has images of his Black Widow in MSFS at his Facebook page.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    You guys do know Dean is working on his P-61C and F-15 Reporter (Not to mention F-15 Eagle Package) for MSFS right now? I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. He has images of his Black Widow in MSFS at his Facebook page.
    Yes of course. Dean and I put a lot of love into those P61C's and I love them dearly, But Robert and I and Paul Frimston put five years into the P-61Bs. While I can say that the P-61C is a superlative aircraft, I'm afraid that in my heart, nothing will ever come close to what we accomplished with the P-61B's even in their non-complete state. They are simply wonderful. But no, I cannot release them. Robert never gave permission and even though its been 8 years, I respect that he may finish them some day. My Flight models of course went on to power the P-61C's and F-15 Reporter/P-61E. I cannot recommend them enough, but my original love is the P-61B, and like all true Ladies, you need only meet one and everything else after that is just another plane.

In the options under Flight model, it's possible to change it to 'FSX' settings, but in my experience, the plane flies even worse than default MSFS FSX import.

With regards the runway start- edit the runway.flt file and look for anything related to landing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    In the options under Flight model, it's possible to change it to 'FSX' settings, but in my experience, the plane flies even worse than default MSFS FSX import.

With regards the runway start- edit the runway.flt file and look for anything related to landing gear.
    I couldn't even get it off the ground with the legacy flight model.

Tried editing the runway.flt... I'll go back and check it again.

Thanks for wading in!

UPDATE:
    1) There are new tables in the flight_model.cfg called aileron, elevator, rudder and trim_elasticity_table; I was using the C4J values in here as a starting point and this was causing me issues. The aileron response is now peppy! Other issues with the other surfaces, but getting there.
    3) Doh! I edited the runway.flt, then forget to include it in the aircraft folder. Helps when it's there!
    Last edited by odourboy; September 3rd, 2020 at 11:52.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hey Sundog, I've spoken to Dean and he doesn't have time to do those conversions and was just playing around with the PlaneConverter (doesn't actually convert anything just creates the right folder structure) tool.

He is happy however for anyone else who might like to tackle their conversions (with due credit and notification of course) but has lost the original 3D Assets.

Hey Sundog, I've spoken to Dean and he doesn't have time to do those conversions and was just playing around with the PlaneConverter (doesn't actually convert anything just creates the right folder structure) tool.

He is happy however for anyone else who might like to tackle their conversions (with due credit and notification of course) but has lost the original 3D Assets.
    Dang, I didn't know that. Well, hopefully someone brings them over. It's cool that he is open to letting someone bring them over to MSFS, though.

Ken

Working well, full 3D cockpit with just a few little xml buttons to remove
    Lands, brakes and taxi's nicely.No supersharger boost yet.
    Cheers
    Keith

Make progress here:

Anyone know what might be happening here with the textures? They all seem to be DXT5 .dds files, but I can't seem to get them to display properly. I am an extreme novice at this sort of thing so please forgive me if the answer is an obvious one.

Aircraft Factory P-51H

Blog Entries
    So, I'm more than a bit stumped guys. I have an mdl file I'd like to convert to gltf for fs2020 ( ok, I have a bunch of them ) but every time I try to use a converter I end up with an error regardless of the converter I use. Worse, it just says theres an error.. It doesnt give details.. I could use a clue and some advice..The aircraft all work in FSX and all versions of P3D through V5..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    So, I'm more than a bit stumped guys. I have an mdl file I'd like to convert to gltf for fs2020 ( ok, I have a bunch of them ) but every time I try to use a converter I end up with an error regardless of the converter I use. Worse, it just says theres an error.. It doesnt give details.. I could use a clue and some advice..The aircraft all work in FSX and all versions of P3D through V5..
    At the moment the process of converting to glTF format is quite laborious especially when working from am MDL as all exporters cannot export animations. So we have to export to some other format like DAE or FBX then redo all the animations and hookups to the modeldef file and export to glTF.
    Then we take that into MSFS via the packagetool and it will do some crunching to the file as well.
    If you have the original 3D sources it's a bit easier as all the animations and naming is done so you just need to redo the textures.

Blog Entries
    At the moment the process of converting to glTF format is quite laborious especially when working from am MDL as all exporters cannot export animations. So we have to export to some other format like DAE or FBX then redo all the animations and hookups to the modeldef file and export to glTF.
    Then we take that into MSFS via the packagetool and it will do some crunching to the file as well.
    If you have the original 3D sources it's a bit easier as all the animations and naming is done so you just need to redo the textures.
    No.. No. I dont have the original Source files.. That was Roberts world. I was just a number cruncher so I never needed them. He made the candy look wonderful, and I and Paul made it fly..

Latest Development release of MCX reportedly supports gITF - see here

Members who have read this thread: 7