Legacy Aircraft - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    From FB and DC Designs.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DC Designs freeware is coming to MSFS!

I'm just working some things out at the moment, but fingers crossed, the P-61C Black Widow and the RF-61C Reporter will feature in MSFS soon. These are direct FSX ports and will not be as flashy and beautiful as native models, but they look surprisingly good in MSFS and are fun to fly - they also work well with the modern flight model system too!

More info as it comes in - I'm working on this process in the background with another developer who is the real talent in developing this workflow.

Now that was fast!!

Now if anyone could come up with a converter proggie, like the one the CFS2 crowd came up with, us simple mortals could start at converting our favourite freeware kites!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Briefly managed to get my A-12 in MSFS, but many things need to be ironed out to get it working fully.

umm....I have an iron....just saying....do you need starch? Do you have an ironing board?? Whatever we can do to help the wrinkles!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    On the topic of turbulence/bumpy flight - some of it might just be one's controller sensitivity setting. By default, the sensitivity setting for controller axes in the sim is too high for most controllers. For instance, if I leave it at the default setting, the planes with the most sensitive flight handling will be having constant up/down movements (due to my joystick controller never being perfectly steady - at rest, it always makes the most minute/tiny movements). I have my joystick and rudder pedal axes sensitivities set at -25 and it feels perfect to me, leaving the deadzones at 0.

Also on the topic of turbulence, I love that when flying over dense forests they seem to generate their own thermal effects, as they should, and the air can get quite bumpy flying over lots of trees. It is especially fun experiencing up and down drafts flying over mountain ranges and down low through big city skyscrapers. Flying over the Yosemite Valley, about a month ago during testing, I experienced some very powerful drafts that was like riding an elevator up and down.
    Ok, I'll try reducing, see if that helps... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Ok, I'll try reducing, see if that helps... Thanks.
    Hi,

An another solution is to modify by try and test, pitch and roll effectiveness parameters. 0.1 or 0.2 should be good values to begin.
    Yes, you should do it for each plane but when the first planes developped by editors will be released, your joystick configuration will be correct.
    Using sensitivity to -70% is like using a hammer to stop a mosquito 😁

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    umm....I have an iron....just saying....do you need starch? Do you have an ironing board?? Whatever we can do to help the wrinkles!
    Maybe not an Iron, but a sledge hammer!

I managed to get the model showing, with some textures, not shared ones, tried to fix it, and now it's missing from the menu!!! Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Maybe not an Iron, but a sledge hammer!

I managed to get the model showing, with some textures, not shared ones, tried to fix it, and now it's missing from the menu!!! Doh!
    File management for planes looks like it's going to be a nightmare! Trying to avoid typos, how many files need to be kept track of... Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The few payware P3D straight port-overs I've seen in some previews look terrible in this sim compared to the default aircraft (easy to see the lower polygon count of the FSX/P3D models and the flat/lifeless textures). The developers doing it right have or are in the process of completely rebuilding their product aircraft from the ground-up to make use of the increased modeled detail (higher polygon counts) now supported and the PBR materials.
    Yeah, ported FSX airplanes look truly awful in MSFS. Why would anyone bother converting a totally stock FSX airplane when they look as rubbish as this...?

While payware indeed justifies updates, freeware models run beautifully in the new sim, even on the new aerodynamic model. Polygon counts can indeed be higher, but there's never a need to use 1,000 if 500 do just great, in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P51.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Wow! That looks great. Maybe the lower poly count planes would run better than the stock ones on my low end computer. I have lots of fsx aircraft that I would love to see ported over.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaker View Post
    Wow! That looks great. Maybe the lower poly count planes would run better than the stock ones on my low end computer. I have lots of fsx aircraft that I would love to see ported over.
    This. Everybody assumes that everybody else runs a GTX2080ti with 274389002GB of RAM, but the truth is that half the sim user market run rigs more than four years old. I should know, I am one

I build airplanes, do conversions and plan my business model around that simple fact. While MSFS can support higher poly counts, and the engine actually favours mesh over higher-resolution textures, the recommended poly counts in the SDK aren't that much higher than those used for many years in FSX and P3D. Still, those recommendations were always on the low side against what really could be achieved.

The kicker is when a user wants to fly their 500,000 polygon, study-level Leviathon over New York City, in heavy weather and dense traffic. Then, all of a sudden, ultra-dense modeling becomes a real PITA!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

How are people putting these in the sim? I thought you had to run some kind of program to rebuild them or something?

If anyone is interested, there is a thread on the MSFS boards and a tool that can help converting FSX aircraft:
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...10?u=ozwookiee

There are some caveats that some panels wont work, but if they are 3D Guages and use XML then it's out of the box.

The models really do look a million times better though when converted to native models and use the new MSFS Materials.

Quote Originally Posted by OzWookiee View Post
    If anyone is interested, there is a thread on the MSFS boards and a tool that can help converting FSX aircraft:

There are some caveats that some panels wont work, but if they are 3D Guages and use XML then it's out of the box.

The models really do look a million times better though when converted to native models and use the new MSFS Materials.
    Thanks!

Sort of related question... I've searched everywhere in the file structure and files.... Where is the default tail number stored? I'd like to change them. I hate those "ASXGS" N-numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Sort of related question... I've searched everywhere in the file structure and files.... Where is the default tail number stored? I'd like to change them. I hate those "ASXGS" N-numbers.
    Under ATC. You can also change your "call sign," as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OzWookiee View Post

The little program works well, much better than doing it by hand. Haven't managed to start the engines of the A-12 yet though! Also need to edit the configs for engines etc

Has anyone tried this? Not tried it myself yet as I'm always wary of online converters.....

https://3d-convert.com/en/convert/mdl-to-gltf.html

Might have a play later.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    The little program works well, much better than doing it by hand. Haven't managed to start the engines of the A-12 yet though! Also need to edit the configs for engines etc
    I've been using that. As a side note, even native conversions for jets at the moment don't work - engines won't start, no power to the airplane for some reason. I haven't got to the bottom of it either...

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    I've been using that. As a side note, even native conversions for jets at the moment don't work - engines won't start, no power to the airplane for some reason. I haven't got to the bottom of it either...
    Have you found that simple things like opening canopies and some (not all) visibility tags are also not functioning?

It seems to be taking some of the logic behind visibility tags and not others. For example, a dummy refuelling receptacle door animates from the cockpit switch, and animates on the external model, but the basic canopy opening switch doesn't work? Similarly, the drag chute handle which is rightly or wrongly triggering airbrakes animates, but the visibility tag that controls the chute appearing and doors opening do not work....?

Struggling to get my head around it unless something is broken...?!!

My cockpit glass isn't working either - not reflective, but that's likely to be a format problem I guess.

Blog Entries
    None of the default aircraft have operational doors. Only the pay-ware Carenado C-182T has doors that open and close.

You have to remember according to MS this is a "GAME." Games don't need operational doors, unless it is Unreal.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    None of the default aircraft have operational doors. Only the pay-ware Carenado C-182T has doors that open and close.

You have to remember according to MS this is a "GAME." Games don't need operational doors, unless it is Unreal.
    So FSX really was "As real as it gets"!

Joking aside there is an event ID for door: KEY_TOGGLE_AIRCRAFT_EXIT so hopefully they will make it work!

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post

Not totally true. The A320 passenger door opens when you request a jetway. When I parked poorly and the jetway was misaligned I could see the open door. So, at least in this default aircraft, the animation exists.

My guess on canopy behavior (purely a guess dince I haven't looked at the SDK) is that a sim variable and or key command has changed or is broken so any designer who coded their animation or control based on that would be broken Where as an animation based on a custom variable and clickpoint would work?
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

In rooting around in the files, I also saw references to handle for canopy opening. My guess, based on their saying their working on the SDK and tools for converting aircraft, that they're still working on activating functionality.

Given that some animations work, but not this one, and you'd think opening a canopy is about as simple as it gets for animations, I'm wondering if TuFun's suggestion about Avatar animation may not be far off from reality, and the reason it's not currently working is they're working on some further functionality like that?

.....No helicopters....?

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    .....No helicopters....?
    Not yet, but given its a beautiful visual sim, with great looking cities, I'd imagine that would happen at some point!

Members who have read this thread: 10