Legacy Aircraft - Page 11
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Aircraft

Kaigun, those are excellent questions. A Beginners' Legacy Importer Guide is sorely needed. None of the resources I've found on the forums, even those purporting to be such, really fill that need. Mostly you just see pretty screen shots of a conversion, "Look what I converted," with no explanation of how it was done. That's just flexing on us; not helpful. Also, a lot of the guides that were written in August and September are out of date because of recent developments, especially Legacy Importer which makes things so much easier.

I'm about to post, probably in a new thread, a review of my latest conversion, explaining how I did it in enough detail for anyone to reproduce it, and laying out what works and doesn't work. I hope by doing so that I'm setting an example.

But I'll share my experiences as someone who's owned MSFS for all of 2 weeks now, and have done about 20 conversions that I've decided are keepers, and about the same number that were duds for one reason or another.

I use the newest version of Legacy Importer (v2.5.0 as I write) which I keep up to date. I usually use the basic mode. I have done a few with the full mode, and it is not as scary as the Legacy Importer screens make it seem. It needs you to put in additional parameters, but if you fill in the ones you can easily find, such as fuselage length, and just accept LI's guesses for the rest, you'll be okay. However, for the casual converter, I have not noticed that there is any great advantage in using full mode. If anyone does know an advantage, I'd like to hear about it. It doesn't seem to result in greater functionality or better flight dynamics. I understand that it's a necessary starting point for those who wish to develop a full conversion with hot-clicky cockpits and such, but I'm more of a turnkey user. So the rest of these notes assume you are using basic mode.

Walking through a typical basic conversion, it goes like this:
    - Start Legacy Importer, choose source and target folders, click Import.
    - If LI tells you that your model is incompatible because, for example, there's no separate internal model, then forget it, you're done. You didn't have a real FSX native plane and it won't convert.
    - In the Aircraft tab, click anything that's red. Usually this is an invalid value for the aircraft type/role field. I don't know what the valid values are, but I think it only affects how MSFS filters your aircraft list, so I accept LI's value. You can also click all the yellow ones, which are usually performance specifications, and the app will try to fill them in based on notes in the existing aircraft.cfg. I'm not sure if these are informational or if the sim uses, for example, the cruise speed parameter in flight planning calculations. If you edit aircraft.cfg after you're done the conversion, you'll find what LI has done in lines like "ui_certified_ceiling=" and so on within each [FLTSIM] section. It's a good idea to check that these values aren't crazy.
    - I have not seen a lot of issues with the Engines and FlightModel tabs and generally leave those alone.
    - In Systems, if there's anything in red, generally to do with light type and position, click it and let LI do its thing so you can move on. Lights of converted legacy planes tend to be pretty wonky, I have found. After doing this you will be left with an invitation to attach taxi lights to landing gears by clicking a bunch of yellow lines. I don't do this because I tend to convert vintage planes that don't have taxi lights attached to their landing gear. I don't know whether it even works.
    - In Runway, I tick the three things in red (SIMVARS, FUELSYSTEM, and CONTROLS) and I tick as many engines and props as there are on the plane, i.e., just the first of each for a single engined prop plane. This creates the runway.flt file which I like to edit later, see below.
    - In Textures, I do the bulk conversion of all textures via Imagetool. Seems to work pretty well.
    - Skip the Models tag.
    - Skip the Sounds tag, it is more for updating a native or previously converted plane with new sound samples.
    - In Panels, click everything red. Convert the CAB file if it offers that. Be sure to do the Panel conversion thing near the bottom of the window. I click all of the boxes. I don't know what the gamma correction slider does. Kind of curious about that. If you are left with an error saying that there are DLL and GAU files that can't be converted, just ignore it and proceed. It could be non-essential gauges or pop-ups that won't be available in the conversion anyway. Or, it could be that you won't have any gauges. In that case, you're out of luck.

Now the plane is converted, so close Legacy Importer. At this point, I go and edit the runway.flt file that it created, which sets the condition of your plane when you spawn it on the runway. It generally has the engine running at half power and the parking brake on, which invites an immediate nose-over in a lot of taildragger prop planes. In addition, it starts with the flaps set at an angle of 24.24 degrees and the flap lever at 50%. I prefer flaps up, I can lower them for takeoff if I want. So I change these lines:

flapshandle = 050.00 ;
    leftflap = 024.24 ;
    rightflap = 024.24 ;

to

flapshandle = 000.00 ;
    leftflap = 000.00 ;
    rightflap = 000.00;

I also prefer that the engine be idling, so I change "pct engine rpm=" from 0.5 to 0.1, and "throttleleverpct=" from 1 to 0 for each engine. That way I don't have to quickly pump my throttle after spawning.

Very often, some sounds used by the aircraft will be missing, because the original FSX/P3D plane used shared sounds from the root sound folder that LI did not locate and convert. You'll have to add those wav files and update your json index as described in my post a few posts above this one. I've only seen a couple of planes in all of my conversions that included the a full custom sound suite and didn't require at least a few of the common sounds.

Now you can load and try out the plane. When you load your sim, don't trust what you see in the Hangar. Sometimes a plane will render perfectly in the hangar, but parts will be missing or screwed up when you go to fly. Transparent parts may look milky in the hangar but not so bad in the sim. It's easiest just to click on the world and set your aircraft from the thumbnail when you set up your flight.

As far as flight model, I find that most planes work fine with the modern flight model. For some reason, I try to use that. I guess I figure that even though MSFS can't have based its modern flight model on anything other than information contained in the legacy plane's legacy flight model, it will have translated them into parameters that should work better with the sim engine. But I have no idea if that's true. For some planes there is almost no difference between the modern and legacy flight models, although I do find that I get a little more engine power with the legacy model. In other cases there is a big difference. Of the 20 or so conversions that I have kept, I have 3 or 4 that I have to fly on legacy to get realistic behavior, which I define as behavior similar to how the plane flew in the simulator it was originally built for.

Hope this helps!

August

Dear August, fantastic response and great hints ! I really appreciate it - thank You very much !!!
    I have quite similar experience for now, having converted ca. 25 planes, with ca. 10 being enough ok in MSFS.
    I am converting usually with full mode, but I do not dump AIR file and just do not use vaules from it.
    But the devil sits in some details which I am discovering by accident ;-) It would be great to share such easy solutions here.
    For example, what is cure for engines going off after a while - in freeware Nord 2501 Noratlas, which converted nicely they stop after 20 seconds and can not be run...
    Thanks again & regards !

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Keith, can you please tell us what you do mean with this?

Here are some parts of the MILVIZ F-4 panel.cfg, but I can't find any hint regarding xml. The lines behind "gauges = " only refer to the dll files in the P3D gauges folder...

//--------------------------------------------------------
    [Vcockpit32]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=1
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$F4E_16_C_R
    gauge00=MV_F4E_LT!L16, 0,0,1024,1024, R

[Vcockpit33]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=512,512
    visible=1
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$F4E_17
    gauge00=MV_F-4E_Sys!Radar, 0,256,512,256
    gauge01=MV_F-4E_Sys!RWR, 0,0,512,256

[Vcockpit34]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=32,32
    visible=1
    pixel_size=32,32
    texture=$F4E_sys
    gauge00=MV_F-4E_Sys!SV, 0,0,1,1

[Color]
    Day=255,255,255
    Night=25,10,5
    Luminous=202,220,147

[Default View]
    X=0
    Y=0
    SIZE_X=8191
    SIZE_Y=4000

Did I find the wrong file?
    That's the right file, you are looking for panels where most gauges are implemented in the MDL file as 3D objects - these will 'work' on a simple conversion.
    Some panel.cfgs have 20 or 30 or more XML gauges listed.
    You CAN convert these but results are very variable and I wouldn't bother myself.
    DLL gauges can't be converted.
    Payware often has a DLL instrument that implements copy protection, these won't import well...
    The Milviz Phantom is an ambitious start ... I would suggest working up through simpler models.

Cheers
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Snurdley View Post
    I believe it's xml gauges that work, dll don't. And I think you mean 3D gauges, not cockpits (all vc's are 3D). But they have to be native FSX models, with separate external and vc models.
    Correct, XML gauges CAN be converted but generally don't work without coding changes afterwards...too much trouble.
    I only bother with 3D gauges (you're right all VCs are 3D...but VCs with flat gauges don't look so good - especially in VR).

For example, what is cure for engines going off after a while - in freeware Nord 2501 Noratlas, which converted nicely they stop after 20 seconds and can not be run...
    Have you checked the Nord in FSX/P3D? I seem to remember the engines are tricky there too.

Quote Originally Posted by kaigun View Post
    Thanks again & regards !
    I don't think there's just one answer to this, but one possibility is that some aircraft system setting or switch starts off in the wrong position, and can't be switched over because of the inability to click on the cockpit. It is impossible in MSFS to map, for example, the fuel tank selector to a keystroke, which is annoying.

So here are some things to check. You may be able to tell their status from the switches in the virtual cockpit, although that's not always reliable with converted aircraft.
    - Is there fuel in the tank? When I converted the Aeroplane Heaven F3F, the engine quit at first, then I opened the weight and balance and discovered that it started with all tanks empty. Filled 'em up, it ran fine. Though it had other problems that caused me to delete it.
    - Fuel selector switched to "cutoff" or to some tank with no fuel in it?
    - Fuel pump not on?
    - Battery and avionics not on?
    - Ignition/magnetos not on?
    - Fuel mixture? (cycle back and forth after spawning, sometimes it starts on full lean and doesn't change until you move your quadrant)

You may find if you autostart from the ramp, your engine starts and keeps running, whereas if you start from the runway, it quits. This is an indication that some setting that was switched on as part of the autostart sequence was not switched on when you started on the runway. I generally find that cold starting on the ramp works better for most converted aircraft and anyway, I like the feeling of getting mentally ready for my flight while I'm taxiing.

All of these conditions can be set with lines in the runway.flt file if you are starting from the runway, or the taxi.flt file (not created by Legacy Importer) if you are starting on the ramp. There is also a hangar.flt file in the stock aircraft folders but I don't know what that does.

I have not seen any documentation of all of the settings that are possible in the .flt files. There are definitely a lot more than what Legacy Importer puts in the one it generates. I presume it's in the SDK which I haven't bothered to get. I just look at the files for the stock aircraft, most of them are pretty explanatory.

August

Yeah, very good points and hints ! I will excercise all these options AF B-17, Fairey Barracuda and Iris A-10 (old FSX version) converted nicely, FR Me-262 too, but glass not transparent inside VC, JF Electra working well but unfortunately props are not visible... JF Dove, AH C46 failed (white VC without textures)... will test few more during weekend.

Just to elaborate and possibly correct what I said about the .flt files above, there are actually several you might look at. The following flt files exist for the stock C-152:
    approach.flt
    apron.flt
    climb.flt
    cruise.flt
    final.flt
    hangar.flt
    runway.flt
    taxi.flt

I guess these are all the different conditions in which you could possibly spawn your plane, although I don't know how you would spawn some of them. If you spawn on the ramp with the engine off, I guess that would more likely be apron.flt rather than taxi.flt. You can experiment to see.

Thanks for the info on which conversions worked and didn't. That is always helpful. I had good luck with the FR P-40N, but the Ha-1112 and DH-114 had most of the instruments missing. These are 3d instruments within the mdl so I'm stuck on how to fix.

August

Quote Originally Posted by kaigun View Post
    Yeah, very good points and hints ! I will excercise all these options AF B-17, Fairey Barracuda and Iris A-10 (old FSX version) converted nicely, FR Me-262 too, but glass not transparent inside VC, JF Electra working well but unfortunately props are not visible... JF Dove, AH C46 failed (white VC without textures)... will test few more during weekend.
    Was there an issue you narrowed down in the Iris A-10? I cannot for the life of me get the engines to start and the pilot figure is also missing. SMH. Thanks for any advice in advance.

THE VOICES ... MAKE THEM STOP ...

I wanted to share the results of an experiment I just did with the ATC entries in aircraft.cfg.

This all started because I got tired of the ATC in the sim calling out other aircraft as "Generic," as in, "Caution, watch for Generic on the runway" or "You are number two behind Generic on final." These call-outs are for the sim's stock generic AI airliner, turboprop, etc. This broke the immersion for me because a controller would never call out an aircraft as "Generic." In FSX and P3D the ATC uses "Experimental" when no other value is specified, which at least is something a controller would sometimes use.

When you go to the aircraft.cfg for these stock planes, the relevant line is

atc_type = "$$:Generic"

Those of us who are used to editing FSX and P3D cfg files will be unfamiliar with that "$$:" format. My guess, which turns out to be correct, was that it is because the ATC in MSFS uses text-to-speech (TTS) rather than piecing together what it says from a fixed vocabulary as in FSX and P3D. It does have a stock vocabulary, which is called in a different format, but the "$$:" is the signal to the ATC that it needs to try to sound out the following string phonetically. This means that MSFS has the ability to say anything you want, and we won't need vocabulary supplements like EditVoicePack to cover all the obscure aircraft types, airline names, etc. Nice to know. Anyway, I substituted appropriate aircraft types in this line for "Generic" and now my ATC calls the generic AI planes "Boeing," "Beechcraft," etc. rather than "Generic". All good.

When I started flying converted legacy planes, I noticed that ATC was never calling out my aircraft type, only my ID. That's because Legacy Importer doesn't put a "$$:" in front of the atc_type, it just leaves it the way it was in the FSX version that you converted. MSFS ATC will not try to pronounce that.

I set about modifying my converted aircraft cfgs and sure enough, ATC now calls out my aircraft name correctly, no matter what word I use. As the acid test, I tried substituting my own name, which I'm confident is not in the program's vocabulary, for the aircraft type. And the sim still got it right.

So, bottom line. After converting a plane, one further step you should take, if you care about ATC calling out your aircraft type, is to alter the atc_type and atc_model lines in your aircraft config to something like

atc_type = "$$:North American"
    atc_model = "$$:Mustang"

or whatever you want. This should also work in your atc_airline line. This is in the [FLTSIM.x] section for each livery. Change it to atc_airline="$$:American" or whatever.

I think it will NOT work in the atc_id or atc_flight_number lines which, as in FSX and P3D, accept only limited-length strings and just reads out the letters and numbers. You don't need the quote marks or dollar signs there.

If you're wondering whether you still need to use the "$$:" format if your aircraft type is something like P-51, the answer is still yes, you should have it as "$$:P-51". The sim's TTS does a pretty good job of getting this right. However, you may help it out if you want it read a certain way. For example, if you want the sim to say "Messerschmitt One Oh Nine" rather than "Messerschmitt One Hundred and Nine" or "Messerschmitt One-Zero-Nine," you may want to use a line like aircraft_model = "$$:1-O-9" using a letter O rather than number zero.

August
    Last edited by K5083; January 9th, 2021 at 09:13.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    So after two days messing around with legacy airplanes and the Legacy Importer I have some thoughts that will perhaps be of interest to other newbs who got the program for the holidays and are still getting their feet wet in the legacy thing.

Thought 1. THANK YOU Wookiee for the Goose. The difference between a carefully developed native plane and a jiffy legacy conversion is enormous. It is a delight to fly and your extra effort is much appreciated. The only tweak I made was to turn off "available for AI" since although it was fun to see a Goose on the ramp at every airport I visited around the world, it wasn't very realistic!

Thought 2. Jiffy legacy conversions do have their uses, at least for now, and at least for some users. In my case, these rough, partly-functional conversions will tide me over until there are some categories of planes, mainly vintage, available in more fully developed form. I know that the flight models aren't accurate (although some are surprisingly not bad) and I miss having access to many of the secondary controls and systems. When I want to fly planes that handle like they are supposed to, I still have Prepar3d and FSX. The legacy planes, for me, are just when I want to do what FS2020 does best - peep at scenery - from an open cockpit biplane, or use a P-51 to get around a little quicker than the Bonanza. For that reason, I don't need, and am not trying to convert, every warbird in my P3D hangar. Just a few that fly decently are fine, and I don't need dozens more with basically similar performance. When proper native versions come out, I'll happily delete the legacy planes, and maybe eventually build up a 300-plane hangar in FS2020 as I did in P3D. Or maybe not! Thus far, even with the stock aircraft, P3D still feels better as a simulator to me, and I may keep FS2020 mainly for scenery peeping, which doesn't require many different rides.

Thought 3. That Legacy Importer is a mighty impressive piece of programming. It deserves a lot of praise for being able to turn many FSX airplanes into reasonably flyable FS2020 models in 30 seconds on almost a turn-key basis. Good, no-nonsense interface, too.

Thought 4. Some planes jiffy convert a lot better than others! Personally, I have no interest in converting large or complex aircraft that I'm used to flying with pop-up panels or a lot of use of the mouse-clickable VC. That means basically nothing with a glass cockpit or a lot of complexity, and the biggest "big iron" I've converted so far has been the Just Flight Lockheed 10A. If you are interested in these jiffy conversions, it might be best to stick with the more primitive types.

Thought 5. Legacy converter success seems to vary by publisher, not surprising as they each have their habitual ways of doing gauges, textures etc., some more "standard" and amenable to conversion than others. My results thus far:
    - Flight Replicas P-40N converted well; I have not tried other Flight Replicas products, but the P-40 is so good that I'm tempted to try one of the 109s.
    - Golden Age Simulations planes convert well, give or take some funky sheen/opacity on the textures.
    - Warbirdsim P-51s and Warwick Carter's T-6s converted quite nicely.
    - Rob Richardson's planes seem to convert well. I did the Vampire F.3 and it is delightful. I know that others have had success with Rob's other planes.
    - I have not had any luck with Alabeo/Carenado planes. They end up with missing parts and/or gauges.
    - Milviz is a bit of a mixed bag. The F-86 looks fine but I have some doubts about the flight model. The P-38 that came with P3Dv4 has a few glitches but is flyable. The Corsair had missing skins and just didn't work.
    - A2A I have not tried. If their hype about Accu-Sim is even partly true, with so much of the flight model bypassing the standard FSX/P3D process, then they shouldn't convert easily.
    - Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven seems okay. Several people on this thread have reported success with these. I haven't tried many of them.
    - RealAir's Spitfires seem to convert beautifully, thank goodness, since we won't be getting any authorized native conversion of these. This is the one plane that I'm willing to learn how to tweak legacy flight models for the sake of having.
    - Virtavia's FSX-native products seem to work okay for me so far.

Thought 6. The one consistent flight model issue that many legacy conversions seem to have is wild swinging on takeoff. When I did the Iris P-40E and PC-9, this was so severe that even full trim, rudder and differential braking together couldn't keep it straight. Editing the scalars for these in the aircraft.cfg did not seem to help. My solution was to switch to the legacy flight model and dial down the p-factor, torque and gyro to 50%. That still gives more swing than it did in FSX, but at least it's controllable. It seems to help make other legacy planes behave more like they originally did, as well.

Anyway. I hope this is helpful to someone.

August
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    THE VOICES ... MAKE THEM STOP ...

I wanted to share the results of an experiment I just did with the ATC entries in aircraft.cfg.

This all started because I got tired of the ATC in the sim calling out other aircraft as "Generic," as in, "Caution, watch for Generic on the runway" or "You are number two behind Generic on final." These call-outs are for the sim's stock generic AI airliner, turboprop, etc. This broke the immersion for me because a controller would never call out an aircraft as "Generic." In FSX and P3D the ATC uses "Experimental" when no other value is specified, which at least is something a controller would sometimes use.

When you go to the aircraft.cfg for these stock planes, the relevant line is

atc_type = "$$:Generic"

Those of us who are used to editing FSX and P3D cfg files will be unfamiliar with that "$$:" format. My guess, which turns out to be correct, was that it is because the ATC in MSFS uses text-to-speech (TTS) rather than piecing together what it says from a fixed vocabulary as in FSX and P3D. It does have a stock vocabulary, which is called in a different format, but the "$$:" is the signal to the ATC that it needs to try to sound out the following string phonetically. This means that MSFS has the ability to say anything you want, and we won't need vocabulary supplements like EditVoicePack to cover all the obscure aircraft types, airline names, etc. Nice to know. Anyway, I substituted appropriate aircraft types in this line for "Generic" and now my ATC calls the generic AI planes "Boeing," "Beechcraft," etc. rather than "Generic". All good.

When I started flying converted legacy planes, I noticed that ATC was never calling out my aircraft type, only my ID. That's because Legacy Importer doesn't put a "$$:" in front of the atc_type, it just leaves it the way it was in the FSX version that you converted. MSFS ATC will not try to pronounce that.

I set about modifying my converted aircraft cfgs and sure enough, ATC now calls out my aircraft name correctly, no matter what word I use. As the acid test, I tried substituting my own name, which I'm confident is not in the program's vocabulary, for the aircraft type. And the sim still got it right.

So, bottom line. After converting a plane, one further step you should take, if you care about ATC calling out your aircraft type, is to alter the atc_type and atc_model lines in your aircraft config to something like

atc_type = "$$:North American"
    atc_model = "$$:Mustang"

or whatever you want. This should also work in your atc_airline line. This is in the [FLTSIM.x] section for each livery. Change it to atc_airline="$$:American" or whatever.

I think it will NOT work in the atc_id or atc_flight_number lines which, as in FSX and P3D, accept only limited-length strings and just reads out the letters and numbers. You don't need the quote marks or dollar signs there.

If you're wondering whether you still need to use the "$$:" format if your aircraft type is something like P-51, the answer is still yes, you should have it as "$$:P-51". The sim's TTS does a pretty good job of getting this right. However, you may help it out if you want it read a certain way. For example, if you want the sim to say "Messerschmitt One Oh Nine" rather than "Messerschmitt One Hundred and Nine" or "Messerschmitt One-Zero-Nine," you may want to use a line like aircraft_model = "$$:1-O-9" using a letter O rather than number zero.

August
    Brilliant! Thank you, gonna try it on the Carenado planes now!

I can tell you that whatever you type into the ATC Options page under the Aircraft Selection menu will be spoken by ATC - even if it's NFSW!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Piglet's Raiden maybe a bit glossy, but still looks stunning in MSFS, especially with Goodyzero's high-rez texture makeover. I have to put Torque, P-Factor and Gyro all the way over to the left on zero in Legacy mode just to get airborne. Also the instruments are white. Thought it was a texture but tried everything. The Vertigo SBD is still a fave. Ported with very little fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I can tell you that whatever you type into the ATC Options page under the Aircraft Selection menu will be spoken by ATC - even if it's NFSW!
    True! The new anything-goes speech synthesis creates immersive new possibilities for personalizing your interactions with ATC. I have been doing more experimenting in this vein.

Suppose you are flying a P-38 in the livery of "Tangerine." You want ATC to call you out to other traffic as "Lockheed P-38" (e.g., "Cessna cleared to land, follow the Lockheed P-38 on final."). Your tail number is N2114L so you could be addressed by ATC as "Lockheed N2114L," but you're on good terms with the controllers and you like for them to call you "P-38 Tangerine." Here's how you would do it.

In the [General] section of your P-38's aircraft config, have the lines:
    atc_type = "$$:Lockheed"
    atc_model = "$$:P-38"

In the [FltSim.x] section for the relevant livery, have:
    atc_id = N2114L
    atc_airline = "$$:P-38 Tangerine"
    atc_flight_number = " "

Note that there has to be a space between the quote marks in the atc_flight_number line, because if there isn't some content in both the airline and flight number fields, they won't override the default [atc_type]+[atc_model] format when ATC addresses you. Two quote marks with no space between won't work.

When you first call for taxi or takeoff clearance, you'll identify yourself to ATC as "P-38 Tangerine" and it will call you that in return. When you call in for flight following, your transmission will start, "Houston control, P-38 Tangerine is a Lockheed P-38 ..." and Houston Center will also call you "P-38 Tangerine." But it will identify you to other traffic as "Lockheed P-38." All pretty much exactly what you would want. And it applies only to that livery, and you don't have to remember to type anything in the in-game ATC screen.

Between this and my other tip above about copying over the stock sounds from your FSX directory, the audio environment in my sim with legacy planes has gotten a lot more immersive this week.

August

I successfully converted Vertigo's Stearman yesterday, and just now I converted Dino's Tomkitty. However, in both cases, I need to understand how to adjust the flight dynamics and power control. In the case of the Tomcat, it is almost uncontrollable at low speeds. Not sure how to fix. NC

kitty by retnavycpo, on Flickr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitty.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I successfully converted Vertigo's Stearman yesterday, and just now I converted Dino's Tomkitty. However, in both cases, I need to understand how to adjust the flight dynamics and power control. In the case of the Tomcat, it is almost uncontrollable at low speeds. Not sure how to fix. NC

kitty by retnavycpo, on Flickr
    Chief, do the swing wings of the Tomcat work?

As for the flight model, I think you need to use the legacy flight model in your settings.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Chief, do the swing wings of the Tomcat work?

As for the flight model, I think you need to use the legacy flight model in your settings.

Cheers,

Priller

Yes, the wings work fine, except the manual wing sweep control in the cockpit does not respond. Gear works as well. I need to go back and try again. Confusing to me, which is normal. NC

Yes, the wings work fine, except the manual wing sweep control in the cockpit does not respond. Gear works as well. I need to go back and try again. Confusing to me, which is normal. NC
    The Tomcat flies perfectly fine. Have you tried switching to Legacy flight model? I cannot get it to work in Modern but works perfectly fine in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by GO_Navy View Post
    The Tomcat flies perfectly fine. Have you tried switching to Legacy flight model? I cannot get it to work in Modern but works perfectly fine in Legacy.
    I do not know how to do that... NC

I do not know how to do that... NC
    Hey Chief,
    After the sim boots, go to OPTIONS on top, Go to GENERAL, select FLIGHT MODEL, then switch to LEGACY. Two choices, modern or legacy. Tomcat and alot of other portovers fly better in Legacy. Just make sure to check it back to Modern if you are flying default planes or other aircraft made specifically for MSFS 2020.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (161).jpg  

Missing Fuselage on Justflight F4U Birdcage and Spirfire

Hello guys,

Wondering if there's a solution you guys have for this. I transferred over Just Flight F4U Corsair (Birdcage) and Dunkirk Spitfire from FSX to MSFS 2020. However, in game I can only see the wings. The fuselage and cockpit textures/model is missing. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (195).jpg  

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.11 - 13.28.18.79 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

RAZBAM T-2B works fine in MSFS in Legacy mode...

I don't have any experience with this process much yet. Hope to get some, but it is things like the missing gauges that I don't understand.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.11 - 17.19.53.64 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Externally, she looks fine. No lights though. NC

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.11 - 17.19.53.64 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.11 - 17.19.35.15 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    The Flight Replicas Bf-109G converts quite nicely:
    jk9370

jk9372

and although the FR B-24 looks very nice, I could not get the engines to start...
    But the old Alphasim B-24 did start. No instruments however..

jk9357

jk9355

and the Vertigo P8F seems to work well, but with very dull textures..
    jk9385

jk9346

Can you get the gauges to work in the BF-109G or did you add your own custom gauges?

I have never bought a Spitfire for flight siming, but thought about getting this one, and using the converter to import it to MSFS2020 "If" someone can let me know that it should work? The price is right..https://www.justflight.com/product/spitfire-mk-ivNC

Quote Originally Posted by GO_Navy View Post
    Hello guys,

Wondering if there's a solution you guys have for this. I transferred over Just Flight F4U Corsair (Birdcage) and Dunkirk Spitfire from FSX to MSFS 2020. However, in game I can only see the wings. The fuselage and cockpit textures/model is missing. Any ideas?
    Could be Just Flight's copy protection. They have an aggressive DRM which makes part or all of the plane invisible if it doesn't like the way it is installed. If you just use Legacy Importer, it won't work. Some guys have managed to convert them manually, but I don't know how. I think it involves cracking the exe files, even if you bought it legitimately. It's a drag. I bought myself their Chipmunk for Xmas hoping to use it in FS2020 as well as P3D, but can't figure out how to port it over.

August

Members who have read this thread: 7