AI Mk-IV Radar or Mark-VIII Radar?

Thread: AI Mk-IV Radar or Mark-VIII Radar?

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Question AI Mk-IV Radar or Mark-VIII Radar?

Got a question about one of Bismarck13's Beaufighters.

Specifically his Beau_VIF4 pack.

In the aircraft.cfg file "title=" line he has it named as Bristol Beaufighter MkVIF Mark IV Radar

A bit further down in the aircraft.cfg "description=" section he has "This represents a Bristol Beaufighter MkVIF with AI Mk IV Radar"

Meanwhile over in the Beaufighter6Fa.air file's description section he has entered: ".... Beaufighter MkVIF. This is the late model fighter version equipped with the Mark VIII Radar in the distinctive "Thimble" Nose."

Question: Would one of these AC be equipped with both radars?

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Hi MR,
    No they we'ren't. The pack should be just be I/D'd as Mk VIF or Mk VIC and not F4.

The earlier Mk IF and IIF's, and the first Mk VIF Beaus were fitted with the early MkIV radar ie those with the nose and wing 'herring bone' style radar aerials. The later produced Mk VIF Beaus, as you say, were the one's fitted with the later MkVIII centimetric radar, fitted inside the nose radome. Even later, towards the end of the war the Mk X 'Strike' Beaus had the later MkX centimetric radar fitted in the same nose radome.

The Mk VIC was the Coastal Command version of the Mk VI.

I will get round to doing the revamp of the MkVI, as I've done with the MkI and II, and that will include the radome fitted ones as well, promise!

Cheers

Shessi

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi MR,
    No they we'ren't. The pack should be just be I/D'd as Mk VIF or Mk VIC and not F4.

The earlier Mk IF and IIF's, and the first Mk VIF Beaus were fitted with the early MkIV radar ie those with the nose and wing 'herring bone' style radar aerials. The later produced Mk VIF Beaus, as you say, were the one's fitted with the later MkVIII centimetric radar, fitted inside the nose radome. Even later, towards the end of the war the Mk X 'Strike' Beaus had the later MkX centimetric radar fitted in the same nose radome.

The Mk VIC was the Coastal Command version of the Mk VI.

I will get round to doing the revamp of the MkVI, as I've done with the MkI and II, and that will include the radome fitted ones as well, promise!

Cheers

Shessi
    Sounds good, Shessi!

Looking forward to them.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Very interesting, indeed!

Members who have read this thread: 1