Question about MSFS2020

Thread: Question about MSFS2020

Question about MSFS2020

Since the newest Sim has been released, will there be a dedicated Forum for that Sim at some point? I may be in the minority here but for the time being I plan to wait and watch. Screenshots from actual users on various systems will go a long way to my decision on whether to buy or stay with FSX.

Just curious.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

There already is a dedicated forum just above the FSX General Discussion one.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    ... I may be in the minority here but for the time being I plan to wait and watch. Screenshots from actual users on various systems will go a long way to my decision on whether to buy or stay with FSX.

Just curious.
    I’m with you Ed. Not so much for the photos or looks (to me it looks amazing) but for setup adjustments and bug fixes. By the time I got to FSX it was literally plug and play🤣. Hope I don’t have to wait that long but I’m in no hurry because I’m still very much enjoying FSX. Oh, and if there is no carrier ops I probably won’t any way!

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Rule of thumb when it comes to buying softwares:

Never never never never buy softwares once they are debuted and released.

Always wait until version 1.3 or 1c so that bugs will surface and will be corrected with fixes that will be incorporated into next version something like 1.3 or 1c. Do not buy version 1.2 or 1b.

Regards,

Aharon

Oh, and if there is no carrier ops I probably won’t any way!
    Of much the same view myself, been trying to find out if naval/carrier ops are planned but whenever I look into it all I get are false flag results for FSX, P3d, DCS and X-plane
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

But the fact is and remains that sooner or later, we will have to move.

Current sims don't have the openness of FS9, CFS2 and CFS3.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I set one up back in back in October 2019

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Simulator-2020
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Having browsed a few forums for the new sim release, it could be said that things are a little "touchy" there. Many problems, from the long download, to erratic performance, to (unsuccessful) attempts to get refunds. I recall buying FSX back in 2006 and being crestfallen at the low frame rates and 'game play' vibe. I stayed with FS9 for many years until Steam took over FSX and made it useable. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with FS2020 in the long run.

General rule of thumb that I use: If your system is over 3 years old it won't run the latest simulator. My 1.5 year old rig runs MSFS quite well (i7 8700, 32 gigs memory, GTX 1080 graphics card with 8 Gb memory), averaging around 25-35 fps, but my settings are not maxed out. In clouds and in a major metro area brought my system down to ~15 fps when running "Ultra" settings. Brought it down to "High End" and everything is smooth as glass.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Let the Dust settle.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Having browsed a few forums for the new sim release, it could be said that things are a little "touchy" there. Many problems, from the long download, to erratic performance, to (unsuccessful) attempts to get refunds. I recall buying FSX back in 2006 and being crestfallen at the low frame rates and 'game play' vibe. I stayed with FS9 for many years until Steam took over FSX and made it useable. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with FS2020 in the long run.
    I,m with you all. I found it necessary to wait for a while when FSX first arrived, to see how it developed, and I feel the same applies to MSFS 2020. The tremendous potential is obviously there, and as Priller says, we will find eventually that it will be almost inevitable. However, the thought of having to purchase again or discard the multitude of aircraft I have on FSX, does not thrill me at all. As with Ed, I will stick with FSX Acceleration for the time being, and hope that there will be some relative support for the foreseeable future.

I for one will have to wait this one out for some time. First I like many many others have spend a long time and a lot of effort to get my current FSXA system where it is today - rock steady with great graphics and textures. Yes I can see the improvements and the paradigm shift in MS2020 but there are a number of current showstoppers that others will share with me:

1. Internet connectivity and download speeds (At least with FSX I can fly offline no issues)
    2. I need to buy a whole new PC and get WIN10 - other competing priorities (house building etc) shift this out for at least a year for me at a minimum.
    3. The critical issue of Aircraft choice or the lack thereof and what I have now is an amazing collection of aeroplanes from the piston and early jet era, especially flying boats and amphibians that have gradually come into FSX including port overs and native rebuilds, many of these were constructed by members of the sim community who no longer do this or have passed on! I am not a glass cockpit affecionado (flew them for a living) I explore the history of aviation and the quirky stuff both and MS 2020 simply does not do this for me.
    4. I have a wide variety of software programs to do scenery, airports, modify aircraft, paint etc which for someone like me means I can do the places I like to fly to and for the era of flight I am interested in.

I have always upgraded and kept abreast of the game computing wise since the computer came into being but this time I am sitting this one out for probably several years. Simply the ground and scenery graphics are amazing but I have also read a lot of reports about some areas which are not up to scratch compared to the real world or current scenery addons. This will no doubt change.

When I can get a Shorts Flying Boat in MS2020 or a Super Constellation or a Boeing 707 maybe then. In the meantime I am also sure there will be no end of bugs that will need to be resolved or user interface issues to resolve after all it is still Microsoft - enough said!

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Of much the same view myself, been trying to find out if naval/carrier ops are planned but whenever I look into it all I get are false flag results for FSX, P3d, DCS and X-plane
    The SDK has all the carrier ops variables listed and the associated Event IDs so it's possible the legacy code is still in there from FSXA.

Anyone know or try MSFS in Windows 7? I know MS says it requires W10 but they would say that, wouldn't they?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Anyone know or try MSFS in Windows 7? I know MS says it requires W10 but they would say that, wouldn't they?
    From what I get out if it - impossible. MSFS is more like a phone app / xbox game than a windows program.
    Win 7 doesn't support this and I doubt you would get as far as signing in to even download it in Win7.
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    The SDK has all the carrier ops variables listed and the associated Event IDs so it's possible the legacy code is still in there from FSXA.
    Hi. Where did you locate the SDK for MSFS? I know this isn't the right forum area to discuss the new sim but just thought I'd ask.

I successfully flew from my home town airport and over my folk's property and all of the surrounding pastures.
    Not worth the $60 ticket just for that but the flight model was fun since you're not flying on rails like other sims.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Hi. Where did you locate the SDK for MSFS? I know this isn't the right forum area to discuss the new sim but just thought I'd ask.
    See: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ilable.448360/

Fun to read, still lots of FSX under the hood:
    https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...0-tech.448406/

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post

I successfully flew from my home town airport and over my folk's property and all of the surrounding pastures.
    Not worth the $60 ticket just for that but the flight model was fun since you're not flying on rails like other sims.
    Getting the SDK is very easy. Just start MSFS in 'Developer Mode', and you'll see six drop-down menus at the top of the screen. Select 'Help", and then 'SDK Installer'. That's all there is to it.

Btw, I've had my internet drop while flying in MSFS (it tells you), and didn't notice any difference at all. I'm guessing it's mostly used for the live stuff, like real-world traffic and weather, multiplayer and the like.

MSFS updates itself every time you start (there's a box that says "checking for updates"). I'm not sure there will be any specific versions (like 1.1, 1.2, etc.) as I think you always have the latest version (assuming your internet is working ).

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post

Getting the SDK is very easy. Just start MSFS in 'Developer Mode', and you'll see six drop-down menus at the top of the screen. Select 'Help", and then 'SDK Installer'. That's all there is to it.

Btw, I've had my internet drop while flying in MSFS (it tells you), and didn't notice any difference at all. I'm guessing it's mostly used for the live stuff, like real-world traffic and weather, multiplayer and the like.

MSFS updates itself every time you start (there's a box that says "checking for updates"). I'm not sure there will be any specific versions (like 1.1, 1.2, etc.) as I think you always have the latest version (assuming your internet is working ).
    Pretty sure it's also used as you fly to update the surrounding area where you are with data, since the world geometry takes up Petabytes of data supposedly. But, I saw an article that specifically stated that for better performance, turn the internet connection off. Your scenery won't be Ultra, but, the point is, an internet connection is not necessary to use the sim (I almost called it "the game".... ).

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Thanks Skippy, sounds like a promising sign, fingers crossed.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

I wish there was a thread somewhere devoted to 'flying MSFS2020 using cached scenery' and the practicality of using cached scenery vs streaming everything in real time ?

We can all build gaming 'rocketships' these days, ....... but if we're at the mercy of limited bandwidth, then we essentially cannot mimick the scenery quality MS has demonstrated.

I've lived with FSX for fourteen amazing years, ... so what's another few months ? At least the answers will be here by then.

“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.” - John Quincy Adams
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

MZee - bandwith and connectivity speeds is the achilles heel. Cannot answer as not using MSFS - I cannot even if I wanted to - No WIN10 and totally crap internet capacity, have seen reports of between 1.5 to 6 hours to download and 100GB plus- for some a doddle but for me - impossible. So that is that decision made cannot happen no matter how good a PC I get I cannot do the internet bandwith or speed! [HInt - to do that 100GB download would cost me as much as it would to buy the program - not going to happen on a regular basis ever]

Members who have read this thread: 0