Can't change default folder

Thread: Can't change default folder

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Can't change default folder

After pre-paying and waiting for the release of MSFS2020I am disappointed that I am unable to install the sim in any other folder than C\:Program Files\******. To conserve space on my C drive I want to install it on another partition where I have plenty of space. Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Google how to change the default location for Microsoft Store apps. There's a couple of settings to change in Windows settings but it worked for me. It uses symbolic links though so it will still look like you're installing on C but it'll report the space available as the drive you're actually using.

It's odd that you don't get an option on which drive to install it. But no need to hassle with symbolic links; you can install it on C: and then move it.

Just install the program. Then, before you run it, go to Settings, Apps & Features, and click on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Then click "Move" and choose another drive.

One other thing to note: The main install is pretty small. Once you run it, you can choose a folder on any drive for the 100-gigabyte-ish data file collection.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    After pre-paying and waiting for the release of MSFS2020I am disappointed that I am unable to install the sim in any other folder than C\:Program Files\******. To conserve space on my C drive I want to install it on another partition where I have plenty of space. Any advice would be welcome.
    Have a look here AussiMan;

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...han-c/124605/3
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    It's odd that you don't get an option on which drive to install it. But no need to hassle with symbolic links; you can install it on C: and then move it.

Just install the program. Then, before you run it, go to Settings, Apps & Features, and click on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Then click "Move" and choose another drive.

One other thing to note: The main install is pretty small. Once you run it, you can choose a folder on any drive for the 100-gigabyte-ish data file collection.
    Indeed, the main install in C:Programs is very small. I'm downloading the 95gb of content right now to a separate 1TB SSD that will be dedicated to all things FS. The big content download seems fairly fast, but it is going to be a good hour or more to complete aircraft, airports, tutorials...... quite a list of items.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    That is odd, when I started my download if first asked which of my three drives it wanted to install in, and then it also asked where I wanted to download and install the content, and actual folder that time. But at first started it, it seamed like it was not doing anything, I rebooted and then when I started it asked me what folder to install the content to, I of course told it the new SSD I installed for this purpose.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Yep I also had a choice of what drive to put it on.

I followed this when I installed the beta:
    https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/...load-location/

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I finally got the program insralled but now I am getting this error message.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error message 2020.jpg  

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Members who have read this thread: 0