A question about system specs to run P3DV5 for a friend.

Thread: A question about system specs to run P3DV5 for a friend.

A question about system specs to run P3DV5 for a friend.

Ok.

I have a friend who lives just north of Murphy, NC, and cable internet is not available; nor is satellite access. The only way he can get internet is by tethering his phone to his desktop or laptop. Not exactly optimum situation, and he has no idea when internet might be available.

So, he had a PC system built. I suggested to him that he have the guy who built his PC - download/install P3DV5 onto his system, as the guy does have cable internet access. Now granted, he would have to take the PC system back to the guy to download major updates, etc..., but it is a workaround at least.

He is wondering if his PC will run P3DV5. I am guessing you guys can answer that question!

Here is what he's got:

Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor

Nvidia GTX 1650 Super

1TB SSD drive

12gb DDR Ram

What do you think? If he can get P3DV5 installed, does his system have the capability to run smooth enough? Thanks guys. NC

Btw, I am still playing around with American Truck Simulator. Just wanted something different for a bit, but I check this forum several times, daily!!

Hi Chief,

I'm afraid the graphics card is a bottleneck. It has only 4GB of its own memory and a bus width of only 128 bit.

The CPU is also a bit on the slow side.

That is of course just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hi Chief,

I'm afraid the graphics card is a bottleneck. It has only 4GB of its own memory and a bus width of only 128 bit.

The CPU is also a bit on the slow side.

That is of course just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Priller
    Thank you Priller, I much appreciate your assessment! NC

You can see the technical specs/requirements for P3Dv5 here.

You'll need to make sure that the default installation path is not used -- if add-ons are added within the sim. Same for the SDK.
    I use "c:\Lockheed Martin\" as my base, with P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5 in there -- plus their SDKs.

Dave

PS If your friend wants to use TacPack, he may be better advised to consider P3Dv4.5 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    You can see the technical specs/requirements for P3Dv5 here.

You'll need to make sure that the default installation path is not used -- if add-ons are added within the sim. Same for the SDK.
    I use "c:\Lockheed Martin\" as my base, with P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5 in there -- plus their SDKs.

Dave

PS If your friend wants to use TacPack, he may be better advised to consider P3Dv4.5 instead.
    I am trying to convince him to spend the cash, if he can afford it, on a better system. What makes his situation more frustrating for him, is the lack of fast internet access. His current "tethering" connection just (as they say in the South..... "ain't gettin' it!").

He wants, instead, to reinstall the boxed version of FSX. NC

How recently did he have this PC built ?
    The i7 960 was released in 2009
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Downloading the sim might be an issue. Also I have a GTX 1660 6Gb card and it's doable, but I have to watch the GPU memory counter. I wouldn't want to try it with less. Maybe LM might ease the strain a bit on the next update, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Snurdley View Post
    Downloading the sim might be an issue. Also I have a GTX 1660 6Gb card and it's doable, but I have to watch the GPU memory counter. I wouldn't want to try it with less. Maybe LM might ease the strain a bit on the next update, but who knows?
    Dangerous Beans: I am not sure when he had his system built, so do not that that info....

Snurdley: Thanks for more information. As for him downloading the sim, he would have to get his friend to download/install/activate the registration, etc....

I think he has resigned himself to installing XP on his system (again, I think is a mistake!), plus installing FSX-O on it. NC

Ah OK.
    The way I read it it sounded like it was recently and the builder had stiffed him with some old parts he wanted to off load.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Ah OK.
    The way I read it it sounded like it was recently and the builder had stiffed him with some old parts he wanted to off load.
    That might even be the case. Not sure! NC

You didn't mention the operating system or I missed it. If it isn't Win 10 with DirectX 12, P3D v5 it won't even complete the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    You didn't mention the operating system or I missed it. If it isn't Win 10 with DirectX 12, P3D v5 it won't even complete the installation.
    I am fairly certain it is Windows 10, currently. But he, for some reason, wants to uninstall it and install XP, so he can run FSX, boxed edition. NC

FSX run just fine on Win10
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    FSX run just fine on Win10
    Yes, but his problem is not being able to get his box editions of FSX and Acceleration activated. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Yes, but his problem is not being able to get his box editions of FSX and Acceleration activated. NC
    There's a known method of achieving this detailed on the FSX forum.
    The PC will need to be connected to the internet while the registration is completed but, as already stated here, he must stay with Win10 or P5D won't even install.

FSX does work perfectly well under Win10, but if there are any 'issues' it can be run in 'compatibility mode'.
    Remember to run it in Admin mode, too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that this person is not too "PC-savvy"?

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 0