Access violation message when using GSLMan ...

Thread: Access violation message when using GSLMan ...

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon5 Access violation message when using GSLMan ...

Hiya guys,

Got the following message from a fella who is attempting to install my MR DUTCH EAST INDIES 2019 pack on his Windows 10 computer:

After installing as per instructions on the MR DUTCH EAST INDIES 2019, when I click on GSL manager, highlighting “mr-dutch-east-indies-2019.gsl” then “add”, I get a window which says “Access violation at address 004362D1. Read of address 00042E97”. Can you be of any help? I’ve been away from CFS2 for awhile, so I’m a bit rusty on what’s up……
    I must admit this is a new one on me. Sounds like some sort of Windows permission issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    MR

Library Staff
    Hi Chris,

This means the cfs2.gsl file is missing or corrupt. Opening cfs2.gsl with GSLEdit can trace the problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the DEI GSL file may fix the problem.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I passed along your reply and added to it:

The install instructions read:
    7. Next, drop the GSL files along with GSLMan.exe into your CFS2/GSL folder. If asked to over write click “Yes”.
    8. Make a back-up copy of your current cfs2.gsl file. Its OK to leave it in the GSL folder- just rename it.
    9. Open GSLMan.exe from inside your CFS2/GSL folder.
    10. From the "Available Custom Gobs" list hi-light mr-dutch-east-indies-2019.gsl
    11. Click the "ADD" button.
    12. Wait until GSLMan.exe says it's thru then…
    13. Close GSLMan.

First off let me say that step 7 is a tad vague. It would be clearer if it read:
    7. Next, drop the mr-dutch-east-indies-2019.gsl file along with GSLMan.exe into your CFS2/GSL folder. If asked to over write click “Yes”.

Be that as it may, in step 8 where it says to make a back-up copy of of your current cfs2.gsl file, after doing this you should end up with a cfs2.gsl file and a cfs2.gsl-copy file.

By default, GSLman automatically works with the default-named cfs2.gsl file.

Apparently it isn't finding it inside you CFS2/GSL folder. Thus the “Access violation at address 004362D1. Read of address 00042E97” message.

So the only two things I can think of are that:
    1. You don't still have a file named cfs2.gsl inside your CFS2/GSL perhaps because you renamed it instead of copying and renaming the copy (again, a tad vague on my part) or else
    2. You aren't carrying out the operation from inside the CFS2/GSL folder and that is why GSLMan is not finding cfs2.gsl

For whatever reason GSLMan is not finding a file named cfs2.gsl inside your CFS2/GSL folder.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by MaskRider; August 14th, 2020 at 11:28.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Question

BTW I keep running into an intermittent problem where whenever I attempt to edit a post I am presented with a blank editing window. It is me or is it SOH?

Cheers
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Hiya guys,

Got the following message from a fella who is attempting to install my MR DUTCH EAST INDIES 2019 pack on his Windows 10 computer:

I must admit this is a new one on me. Sounds like some sort of Windows permission issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    MR
    CORRECTION! He is installing on a Windows-XP computer. The email he sent me was from a Windows10 computer.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

In XP these types of program execution errors are generally memory access violations at random address points indicating either weak (worn-out) RAM memory modules or insufficient RAM installed on the machine. XP's memory management was never that great to begin with and as physical memory ages, programs don't always quick load as in the past.

He should upgrade to newer, more powerful modules, or replace them with newer, but same power, or add to existing modules in any available slots. Until then, all he can do is reboot the machine to reset memory and attempt GSLman work from a fresh reboot and/or increase the size of the pagefile.sys, which will allocate more virtual memory for processes.

Whenever i encountered this in the past it was due to a combination of old, tired RAM modules and insufficient virtual memory availability. I just upgraded with newer stuff and the access violations ceased.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon12 Reply...

Chris and DJ,

This same error can also happen if you try to make changes to the GSL file while the sim is “on.” You can only use that program to make changes when the sim is “off.”

Chris - If you look at your instructions, it doesn't specifically say you need to have the sim "closed" when making modifications to the GSL file. If he is trying to run GSLMan after he adds the scenery layers, but still leaves the sim "on," this is another way that error can happen. When I'm doing scenery editing sometimes, I am still guilty of making that mistake with GSLEdit.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241
    In XP these types of program execution errors are generally memory access violations at random address points indicating either weak (worn-out) RAM memory modules or insufficient RAM installed on the machine. XP's memory management was never that great to begin with and as physical memory ages, programs don't always quick load as in the past.

He should upgrade to newer, more powerful modules, or replace them with newer, but same power, or add to existing modules in any available slots. Until then, all he can do is reboot the machine to reset memory and attempt GSLman work from a fresh reboot and/or increase the size of the pagefile.sys, which will allocate more virtual memory for processes.

Whenever i encountered this in the past it was due to a combination of old, tired RAM modules and insufficient virtual memory availability. I just upgraded with newer stuff and the access violations ceased.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami
    Chris and DJ,

This same error can also happen if you try to make changes to the GSL file while the sim is “on.” You can only use that program to make changes when the sim is “off.”
    Thanks Bearcat and Rami.

I'll pass your insights along in case Dave isn't following this thread.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

In light of Rami's comment, i'm curious to know if these errors are exclusive to your friend's GSLman operations only or if he's also experiencing these difficulties with any other non-related programs as well. In the latter case my comments would apply. But in the former case, we know that the automated output of GSLman registers directly to the database indices as all manual scenery modifications do, so it makes sense that these errors would occur if the sim is active, which locks the indices against external program writes. This makes this error an active program "blocking" maneuver.
    Last edited by bearcat241; August 15th, 2020 at 16:59.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Thanks Bearcat. I passed it along.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Bearcat.....it only seems exclusive to the GSLman operations. Everything else seem fine. I'm no computer guru but I do keep pluggin' away. Thank you all for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0