OT New PC, New OS Help with FSX

Thread: OT New PC, New OS Help with FSX

OT New PC, New OS Help with FSX

Hi Folks. Just finished a new PC build with Win 10 Pro and am wondering if there is a thread or other resource with "DO's and NOT TO DO's" tips for installing FSX with Win 10?

Thanks,

Steve

BTW New Build:

Phanteks P600S Mid Tower
    Intel i9-9900K
    Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO
    32 GB Corsair LPX Vengeance 3200
    WD Black 500GB SSD M2 NVME
    Samsung 860 EVO 250
    Samsung 860 EVO 500
    WD Black 2TB HDD
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

With my apologies to Duckie I need help with FSX A in Windows 10 too. After years happily working with Windows 7 adding and or deleting Aircraft I find with 10 I cannot add repaints to an existing aircraft. Please has anyone got a cure for this?

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    With my apologies to Duckie I need help with FSX A in Windows 10 too. After years happily working with Windows 7 adding and or deleting Aircraft I find with 10 I cannot add repaints to an existing aircraft. Please has anyone got a cure for this?
    I'm sorry, but that's a hugely open ended question. It's impossible to understand what you mean.

My guess would be you installed FSX into the C:\Program Files (x86) directory, and you don't have administrator privileges, so you're not being allowed to edit files.

But having no understanding what you mean that you "can't add repaints", it's a really impossible question to answer. Please add some more detail to what your problem is. Do you mean you can't edit the aircraft.cfg file? Do you mean you can't add directories to the aircraft directory? What are your error messages? What is your configuration and where have you installed FSX?

So... tip number 1, same as has always been since XP, you're better off installing FSX to it's own directory somewhere else on your machine, like on a secondary drive, or even creating a C:\FSX directory works and avoids permission issues.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about. You've installed FSX in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games directory, right? You can still add repaints. You only have to save the aircraft.cfg file on the desktop in the right format (i.e. not as a txt file) and move that new aircraft.cfg file to the folder of the aircraft.

Better still, you should move FSX to the root of the C: drive or any place of your liking. There, you'll be able to tinker around without Windows bugging you about it.

Kind regards,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Hi Folks. Just finished a new PC build with Win 10 Pro and am wondering if there is a thread or other resource with "DO's and NOT TO DO's" tips for installing FSX with Win 10?

Thanks,

Steve

BTW New Build:

Phanteks P600S Mid Tower
    Intel i9-9900K
    Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO
    32 GB Corsair LPX Vengeance 3200
    WD Black 500GB SSD M2 NVME
    Samsung 860 EVO 250
    Samsung 860 EVO 500
    WD Black 2TB HDD
    Nice rig you got there!

Well, the same rules as with previous windows versions apply. Don't install the thing into the program files folder. Put it anywhere you would like to, just not there.

you also might want to change some of the properties of the FSX.exe file:

- have it run as an administrator
    - run it in compatibility mode (Windows XP SP3 is ok)

have fun with the new (and very much improved) version of windows! You will also want to disable the windows telemetry on the thing:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/...-10-telemetry/

Priller

PS: with such a rig, you should try out a more modern sim like Prepar3D or later on MSFS. FSX is a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Priller; August 13th, 2020 at 13:22. Reason: forgot the telemetry thingy
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Because of the way Windows Vista/7/8/X handles security and protection of the operating system files and folders, absolutely do not install flight sims to the default C:/Program Files directory. Installing to the C: drive is fine, but create a separate directory for sims, games, programs, etc.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I found that when I initially installed FSX into a windows 10 platform that I had the same problem. After a whole of hair pulling, I discovered that all my folders in FSX where installed as "read only". I had to change the properties of the main FSX folder and uncheck the read only box. That changed all the files and folders in FSX.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Duckie,

I'm curious, what power supply do you have?

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Duckie,

I'm curious, what power supply do you have?

Cheers,

Priller
    Corsair RM850X Gold

Unfortunately I've been fighting with Windows 10 re login requirements and internet use so haven't been able to put any time into FSX. I finally got the login requirement killed. But I keep having to enter my MS password for any downloads.
    The is exhausting and frustrating. This latest version of 10 is very covert.

I'm the only user and I am logged in as administrator. Password requirement is turned off but it still wants my MS password for any download!

Steve
    Duckie

Corsair RM850X Gold

Unfortunately I've been fighting with Windows 10 re login requirements and internet use so haven't been able to put any time into FSX. I finally got the login requirement killed. But I keep having to enter my MS password for any downloads.
    The is exhausting and frustrating. This latest version of 10 is very covert.

I'm the only user and I am logged in as administrator. Password requirement is turned off but it still wants my MS password for any download!

Steve
    Hi Duckie,

This is because during installation, you chose to login with an MS account. There is a possibility to "join a domain" instead. There are two possibilities to cure your problems:

• start all over again and use the "join a domain" option when it asks for your user
    • Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info. Click Sign in with a local account instead. Enter a local account name and new password (with a hint for when you forget it).

Hope this helps!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Hi Duckie,

This is because during installation, you chose to login with an MS account. There is a possibility to "join a domain" instead. There are two possibilities to cure your problems:

• start all over again and use the "join a domain" option when it asks for your user
    • Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info. Click Sign in with a local account instead. Enter a local account name and new password (with a hint for when you forget it).

Hope this helps!

Priller
    Thanks Priller for the suggestion. You're correct. But that's the only choice I had with this latest build of 10. I watched several vids of how to install and each one warned against the dreaded MS account login and showed exactly how to avoid it. When I got to that screen it was totally different from the vids and didn't have the option to choose not to.

I did exactly what you suggested above and that seems to have fixed it for now.

My next question is how do I set it to give me a choice as to the location where I would like to download it? Right now everything downloads to the "Downloads Folder" and I have to move it from there.

Steve

EDIT: Found it in browser settings to ask for download location. Man, it's been so long since I had to do any of this stuff seems I've forgotten everything I ever knew but now there's more to learn!
    Duckie

Thanks Priller for the suggestion. You're correct. But that's the only choice I had with this latest build of 10. I watched several vids of how to install and each one warned against the dreaded MS account login and showed exactly how to avoid it. When I got to that screen it was totally different from the vids and didn't have the option to choose not to.

I did exactly what you suggested above and that seems to have fixed it for now.

My next question is how do I set it to give me a choice as to the location where I would like to download it? Right now everything downloads to the "Downloads Folder" and I have to move it from there.

Steve

EDIT: Found it in browser settings to ask for download location. Man, it's been so long since I had to do any of this stuff seems I've forgotten everything I ever knew but now there's more to learn!
    Hi Duckie,

Good to hear that you've got it sorted.

As for the download location, what I always do is move the libraries (downloads, desktop, music, documents, video's) to a location other than the C: drive. it saves precious disk space on the C: drive, and even if you have to reinstall your rig, you won't lose your data.

Take care,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Hi Duckie,

Good to hear that you've got it sorted.

As for the download location, what I always do is move the libraries (downloads, desktop, music, documents, video's) to a location other than the C: drive. it saves precious disk space on the C: drive, and even if you have to reinstall your rig, you won't lose your data.

Take care,

Priller
    Good suggestion. Except for “desktop” in previous builds I’ve not used those folders but I’ve also not relocated them. I think I will this time, especially since I have plenty of space from start up.

Priller, thanks again very much for your help.

Steve
    Duckie

My pleasure Duckie! I'm a 1st/2nd line helpdeskmanager. It's second nature really!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Duckie