Seaplanes-Catapults-Battleships and Cruisers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seaplanes-Catapults-Battleships and Cruisers

Final Post For This Topic

Yesterday I spent quite a number of hours positioning exactly where I want my seaplane to be on the catapult which is what it takes. You have to create the POS in the PA.cfg like this:

# Posx = offset : side, rear, height, heading relative to the reference position of the PA.

[CVN68]
    path = USS_NIMITZ
    CVN68_1 = 57X;112.00
    CVN68_2 = 57X;112.00
    CVN68_3 = 57Y;112.05
    CVN68_4 = 57Y;112.05
    CVN68_5 = 58X;112.10
    CVN68_6 = 58X;112.10
    CVN68_7 = 58Y;112.15
    CVN68_8 = 58Y;112.15
    CVN68_9 =
    CVN68_10 =
    CVN68_11 =
    CVN68_12 =
    Pos1 = 29.6, -68.1, 22.2, +1.0
    Pos2 = -29.7, -101.0, 22.2, -100
    Pos3 = -12.9, -35.3, 22.2, -20
    Pos4 = -30.0, -26.2, 22.2, -100
    Pos5 = -12.2, -15.5, 22.2, -20
    Pos6 = -29.9, 40.9, 22.2, -100
    Pos7 = -29.7, -113.0, 22.2, -100
    Pos8 = 20.5, 32.5, 22.2, +1.0
    Pos9 = 20.5, -12.5, 22.2, +1.0
    # on spot 2 and spot 7 wait until ramp is at the beginning of the top where it will sit for five minutes or so before lowering
    # If you happen to spawn when the elevator is down or in transition then aircraft will crash and re-spawn in the air.

This is the exact entry for Javier's Nimitz with all 9 positions on the flight deck as it comes configured with the program download.

Everytime you create a position you have to close Windows Explorer; start FSX or your sim; select the seaplane or aircraft; select an airport (it doesn't matter what airport or even if its on a runway) open up CCP; and go through the entire process of putting the aircraft on that position. Now you connect to the sim in CCP and change the view to outside and pan around to see exactly where the aircraft is. If its not where you want it, you go back in and adjust the PA.cfg Position value ever so slightly and do it all over again until it is exactly where you want it. I keep a log of each position on a piece of paper for each position as I do this and when it is exact it goes into a permanent record in my binder with all of the MDCx attach point values for every ship I have done. You CAN printout the PA.cfg when you are done with final values. I copied/pasted the PA.cfg and then renamed the copy. Then I deleted all of the ships I don't care about so that all that is in there are the ships I want. Much simpler to make additions that way. I hope that you have been able to follow this and understood my explanation. Three KEY POINTS when you are using CCP is:

#1 Be absolutely sure that your time in CCP in GMT is later than the sim time. It does NOT have to be 15 minutes like the tutorial because MY version doesn't sit on the runway until the CCP time and then appear on deck. As soon as it has connected with the sim, it is immediately on deck/catapult.

#2 Be sure that you have paused the sim and the parking brake is set.

#3 in the Connect screen in CCP be ABSOLUTELY certain that the box DISABLE PAUSE IN THE SIM is NOT checked or as soon as the connection is made, the sim will unpause and off goes your aircraft on the catault or across the deck.

Once you are in the sim; positioned on deck or catapult; unpause and your aircraft will settle down on to its wheels/float ready for you to get ready to start flying.

Have a lot of fun with this I do. Its so much easier than slewing once you get the hang of it.

If you are having a specific problem you just can't figure out, you can PM me and I will answer and try and help.

Richard

Here is a screenshot I took yesterday after I had completed all three positions on the USS Colorado BB-45. Klaus modeled the starboard and port cradles and tracks on the Colorado so I created positions for all three locations. This is the section leader's Seagull on the cradle on the port side

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v963im288ue2kox6g.jpg  

The Seaplane Replaced On The Catapult

I forgot to mention this as how I get the seaplane back onto the catapult in CCP. Get the seaplane on the catapult ready to launch it in CCP/FSX. With FSX open, SAVE THE FLIGHT. Go ahead and fly. As long as FSX (let me know if this works in P3D) and CCP remain open in this session, you can load the saved flight and restart the flight again with the aircraft on the catapult ready to launch. It only works in a single session though so you have to do it from the beginning again and resave it in the new session. Not perfect but at least in this session you don't have to start the whole process over. Something may come up in the future how to do this. I even investigated the hoist in the FSX SDK but that ONLY works on helicopters no way to attach it to the deck crane. Oh well!

Is this going to be available eventually to the public on SOH as a whole addon or do,I need to follow all the directions and instructions to get this to work?Thanks

I guess I'll make it easy...

LOL!!! Yes I will offer the USS Colorado with its platforms in the model and a README with a copy and paste section you can add to the PA.cfg in Carrier Convoy Planner (CCP). I will pack it into a zip folder and send the admin here. You will also get the texture files for Paul Clawson's SOC Seagull for fsx in DDS for aircraft No. 1 and No. 2 of the 4 plane section embarked on USS Colorado. If you want all four aircraft you can create the other two from plane no. 2.
    I only did two of them for myself. I have had so much help from so many people here on SOH, at FSDevelopers and personally from friends I made here and there that I would be selfish not to share it. If you want any other ships you learned how to do them here. I have Klaus's permission to share the ship model with its additions and also Paul Clawson from before he passed to share Seagull addons and changes. You can download the Seagull on flightsim.com.

Forgive me if I didn't see it in your previous posts, but where can I download Carrier & Convoy Planner?

CCP Download

The link to the download is in the last reply here from me at the bottom of page 2 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    The link to the download is in the last reply here from me at the bottom of page 2 of this thread.
    Got it, thanks Richard!

USS Colorado BB-45 Upload

The USS Colorado with platforms, FSX SOC Seagull 4-O-4 Repaint and aircraft.cfg and PA.cfg info has just been approved and is in the Warbirds Library under FSX Ships. Enjoy it. That ends this thread. I have a new one coming in the next day or so. bye.

Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    .......and finally Rob Barendregt for his RCBCO-20 (he now has a -30) which I use to launch off the catapults. (Don't ask me why my FSX doesn't like RCBCO-30 but after hours of his patient efforts with me, I use 20 it works for me......
    Another user accidentally pinpointed the problem with the Catapult launch in COP3: one of Doug's .gau/.dll gauges, defined in the ControlPanel 2D-window, doesn't like this Window to be re-sized; and fails then.

No idea why, but the remedy is simple:
    In the panel.cfg, just move the six gauges (gauge01= upto gauge07= ) from the ControlPanel Window to the VCockpit01 section.

Cheers, Rob

Sounds Good

Will try it and post here if it works on MY FSX installation seaplanes. This was designed I know for aircraft carriers as was the FSX Acceleration Ops NOT seaplanes and battleships and cruisers. Their operations were done from "scenery" in the FS9 days not AI ships. Its great that it works both RCBCO-20 and RCBCO-30. Thanks Rob for creating these from back in the "ol' days" and updating them continually.

No Luck

RCBCO-30 even with the 7 gauges down in the VC still does nothing but make noise no catapult launch of the seaplane so I am glad that RCBCO-20 works so well for me. If anyone else still cannot get -30 to work download and install RCBCO-20 following the instructions carefully. Works perfectly in FSX Acceleration. Don't know about any of the P3D's.

Richard, here is the portion of my SOC-3's panel.cfg file with the COP3 gauges. My RCBCO-3 set-up works fine with these entries and I can reposition and/or enlarge the panel and the cat and tailhook functions still work. Do you have all of the RCBCO-3 gauge package in its own dedicated COP3 folder in your FSX main Gauges folder?

//--------------------------------------------------------
    [Window02]
    Background_color=16,16,16
    size_mm=52,12
    window_size_ratio=1.000
    position=7
    visible=0
    ident=10080
    nomenu=1
    window_size= 0.045, 0.015
    window_pos= 0.550, 0.020

gauge00=COP3!ControlPanel, 0,0,52,12

//--------------------------------------------------------
    [Vcockpit01]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=0
    pixel_size=1024,1024s
    texture=$SOCVC

gauge00=Lockheed_Vega!magnetic_compass, 452,359,125,125
    gauge01=Lockheed_Vega!altimeter, 697,467,125,125
    gauge02=Lockheed_Vega!asi, 217,467,125,125
    gauge03=Lockheed_Vega!turn_and_bank, 454,505,125,125
    gauge04=Lockheed_Vega!vsi, 104,673,125,125
    gauge05=Lockheed_Vega!ap_ahi, 798,651,125,125
    gauge06=Lockheed_Vega!rpm, 450,654,125,125
    gauge07=Lockheed_Vega!manifold_pressure, 288,678,90,90
    gauge08=Lockheed_Vega!cyl_temp, 654,679,90,90
    gauge09=Lockheed_Vega!oil_temp, 59,887,90,90
    gauge10=Lockheed_Vega!oil_pressure, 190,885,90,90
    gauge11=Extra_XML!ignition_switch, 337,927,60,60
    gauge12=Beech_Baron!Panel Lights, 620,923,30,48
    gauge13=Beech_Baron!Nav Lights, 674,923,30,48
    gauge14=Beech_Baron!Landing Lights, 729, 923 ,30,48
    gauge15=COP3/WindowStatus!window_status, 0,0
    gauge16=COP3!WindowInit10080, 0,0
    gauge17=SimIcons1024!Radio Icon, 650,831,25,25
    gauge18=DeHavilland_Beaver_DHC2!fuel, 456,845,125,125
    gauge19=COP3/CarrierZones!dsd_carrier_zones,0,0
    gauge20=COP3/Config!config, 0,0,,, ./gauges/COP3/Config.ini
    gauge21=COP3/Sound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,, ./gauges/COP3/Sound.ini
    gauge22=COP3!Arrester, 0,0
    gauge23=COP3!Catapult, 0,0
    gauge24=COP3/SpeedControl!xml2ipc, 0,0
    gauge25=COP3!SonicBoomControl, 0,0

Here Is My Custom Panel

I have a custom made Tacpack/VirtualCockpit/2DPopups with custom gauges. I did not originally when Rob and I tried to get -30 to work it was stock SOC but now I have this one and it has RCBCO-20 installed perfectly but thank you for taking the time to post yours.

Richard

Richard, if your panel works for you then you're good to go. Since I installed the RCBCO-3 gauges I've been considering using them in some of my favorite tailhook planes. Makes cat shots easy. Acceleration is usually OK for traps but I get a little tired of planes getting hooked up to the cats on one carrier with no problem and then they jump around and drop out of tension on another.

That's Why

That is why I like Rob's RCBCO gauges. Even when I have cat start and cat end attach points sometimes they still did not work. RCBCO works every time. Thanks Rob.

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear COP3 still doesn't work for you, but glad there are alternatives that works as you want.

It's just that, as a designer, I hate to have unexplained (not: unsolved) "loose-ends" in any of the stuff I upload.
    But that's my personal "tic".... LoL

Cheers, Rob

PS:
    And Jerry, thanks for trying to help here ...

It May Be Me

Rob, you know all the work you and I did trying to get it to work, oh well. I have been talking on and off with Arno too because I have a problem not that I can't work around with his latest MDCx V1.4, but NOT with V1.3. I honestly think it is something that got unset or set or whatever that no one can find in my FSX Acceleration but I am not going to uninstall it to try and find it because everything else works perfectly flying and scenery and it would be wayyyy too hard to reinstall all the addons so I just work with it until it becomes a real problem and then I will just have to cry a lot and do it LOL. Thanks, and don't fret because I know its NOT your program but MY FSX installation that is slightly quirky.

Richard

Members who have read this thread: 1