Hotas

Thread: Hotas

Hotas

I left my Cougar at home when I moved. My problem is I want a HOTAS with z-axis on the stick for rudder as I don't have the space for pedals.

VKB has a twist add-on for their MCG, but I'm not a big fan of the Eastern-bloc grips and their support confirmed that while they have a converter to use the Cougar grip with their base, the z-axis isn't compatible.

Does anyone else make a twist-version that is like the Cougar or something similar?

Also, throttles - I need one of those as well. Lol

Not really interested in the Warthog as I've read a lot about its propensity to not withstand the test of time.

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I've never heard anyone say anything about the Thrustmaster Warthog and a lack of longevity, mine has been giving excellent service for years, but I don't think the Warthog is suitable for your needs because it doesn't have the twist function for rudder that you are looking for. A good alternative with the twist function is the Logitech/Saitek X56, which I think may tick all your box's

https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/prod...45-000059.html

Regards,
    Ian

I'd just get an X-56 and be done with it. Mine still works fine after years of use and you can either use the twist axis or lock it. I locked mine and assigned the rudder axis to one of the rotary thumb wheels on the right throttle. Worked much like a tiller on a jetliner. I went from the X-56 to the Warthog and T-Flight Pedals (the latter I got used for super cheap which had only 6 uses, still new condition). I know some guys who have had their Warthog since day one with zero issues, others not so lucky. One thing I have done of ordered the Green Spring from Warthog Stick Extensions by Sahaj which reduces the weight of the pull by a good bit which also reduces binding which leads to the so called "Sticktion" issues.

Also, with the X-56 you will be able to change the spring weights with ease as it comes with multiple springs to suit your pull weight needs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I had considered the X56 back in the day, but I had read numerous not so good things about it. Lack of durability, poor construction quality, spiking, etc.

Have they come out with a new one since then?

Although very Pricey,You could take a look at Real Simulator's line of Products...
    https://realsimulator.com/f-16-side-grips/

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    I had considered the X56 back in the day, but I had read numerous not so good things about it. Lack of durability, poor construction quality, spiking, etc.

Have they come out with a new one since then?
    My original Saitek/Mad Catz X-55 was great but developed a short in the stick after a year and a half. Mad Catz agreed to replace the X-55 with a new X-56 even though the warranty had expired. The X-56 has held up well but I caution, it's better to not assign the rudder axis to the twist grip which is how increased wear and tear occurs (as did in my case). When not using pedals, the rotary controls on the X-56 throttle works great for that purpose. I have 4 years of regular use on the X-56, no issues up to now. Logitech owns the brand now and so far, the few folks I know who bought the Logitech version of the X-56 are pleased with it. But I see there are still other options out there that may suit your needs better without going overboard on the price.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I've been thinking.

Saw on DCS's forums that VKB, in the near future, will be offering their Gunfighter Mk.III base as a stand-alone! This is perfect as I can use their adapter and still use my Cougar stick with it - save a bunch of money that way!

But I still would need a throttle. Unfortunately, not a lot of options with those. Virpil has their MongoosT50 v2. VKB is allegedly going to market their throttle "eventually" (maybe sooner since MSFS just came out) but no idea on price point for that one yet.

Could buy a Warthog throttle, but they're impossible to find at the moment unless it's used. Not sure I like that idea.

Anyone else you can think of that offers a throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I'd just get an X-56 and be done with it. Mine still works fine after years of use and you can either use the twist axis or lock it. I locked mine and assigned the rudder axis to one of the rotary thumb wheels on the right throttle. Worked much like a tiller on a jetliner. I went from the X-56 to the Warthog and T-Flight Pedals (the latter I got used for super cheap which had only 6 uses, still new condition). I know some guys who have had their Warthog since day one with zero issues, others not so lucky. One thing I have done of ordered the Green Spring from Warthog Stick Extensions by Sahaj which reduces the weight of the pull by a good bit which also reduces binding which leads to the so called "Sticktion" issues.

Also, with the X-56 you will be able to change the spring weights with ease as it comes with multiple springs to suit your pull weight needs.
    FYI my X52 is approaching 16 years old and functions very well. Although I switched to VKB recently I still maintain the X52 throttle as the VKB one is just annoying location wise and unrealistic. VKB is otherwise superb. IMO of course.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

The Warthog throttle has an slider axis on the base (in addition to the throttles) that you could use for a rudder (in addition to a bunch of other buttons and switches). I used that slider until I got a set of MFG crosswind pedals.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Members who have read this thread: 0