By way of a prologue to this mission report, in my teens, I used to seek out a newsagent in the resort during the family's annual seaside holiday, looking for my paperback holiday reading. Those were the days (the '70s) when I was spoiled for choice. One of my favourites, which I still dip into from time to time, is James Gilbert's 'The World's Worst Aircraft' (Coronet, 1978). The author starts his chapter on 'Dornier's Giant Flying Boats' thus: "An aircraft salesman once invited me out to New York's La Guardia airport for a flight in a Skyservant, a modern Dornier light twin. 'Delighted' I said, and then added, thoughtlessly, 'I've never flown any Dornier. Been bombed by them, though.' This, I think, the American salesman thought in poor taste; at least I never did get to fly the Skyservant."

Casting about for something different after my most recent CFS3-BoB mod fighter campaign ended in flames, I decided to try some of the included single missions. One flying the Dornier 17 caught my eye, so here we go.

Here I am on the airfield at Abbeville, studying my map in the first light of dawn or thereabouts. Actually we're many miles south-west of that town - our base looks more like Capriquet, near Caen. But no matter.

Right - I know where I'm going. This is what I'm going in. The 'Z' subtype of the Do 17 no longer merited the 'flying pencil' nickname given to the earlier versions but it's a more capable aircraft. The CFS3 version is a fine rendition and has the right unit code for Kampfgeschwader 2, U5 and accurate upper-surface camouflage pattern in Black Green 70 and Dark Green 71. Nicely-weathered, too.

Engines running, flaps set, brakes off and away we go. To our right as we take off are some yellow-nosed 109s. The briefing mentioned we'll have some of them for company, and two or three more staffeln of Dorniers. The more, the merrier.

Up we go and up comes the undercart, with a satisfying 'clunk'.

Flaps up next. The early morning sun is just peeking over the eastern horizon as we climb away.

Still climbing at full power, I set course to the north, out towards the Bay of the Seine.

It's all very picture postcard, but I expect it won't stay that way, if the Tommies across the water have anything to do with it.

...to be continued!