Enstone airfield.

Thread: Enstone airfield.

Icon5 Enstone airfield.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this airbase in Oxford, England has been made for FS9, circa 1940s.

My interest was peaked by watching this youtube video.

SOH-CM-2024
    Ha! I watched that video today as well! That guy makes fascinating videos, including this one! A flight of all black, unmarked Lancs... interesting...

The short answer is no, it was a satellite for Morton in the Marsh and was used for training. No mention in the Action stations vol 6, which are my bible's when it comes to airfields, about any black Lancs. I think there's a degree of myth about the story. 43 seems a bit early, even before the dams raids, and they've been seen in N Ireland, Scotland, RAF Jurby on the IO Man and god knows where else,. Not quite as far fetch'd as the Burmese spitfires but close

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Ha! I watched that video today as well! That guy makes fascinating videos, including this one! A flight of all black, unmarked Lancs... interesting...
    He also writes lots of books, you can find them on amazon. Not sure if that lends any credence to his legitimacy though.

It's still there and even open, it has a flying club.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enstone airfield.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    It's still there and even open, it has a flying club.
    It's included in one of the UK2000 scenery packs for Fs2002 / Fs2004 : these were released as freeware some time ago
    by Garry Summons, and not on the website anymore .

ttfn

Pete

Should have checked that, D'oh!! Cheers Pete. Fancy a black Lancaster anyway, might have to repaint one one day. Reminds me of the Christchurch based HP Hampden repaint I did, a semi-fictitous special operations paint based on what I had read, just wish I could find the info again, lol. The serial number is within the range of those apparently used.

There's a fair bit about this in Leonard Cheshires biography, 'No passing glory'.
    Random Youtuber

Rob Davis1 day ago

I can well believe this story. The late Mike "Lancaster At War" Garbett was a very good friend of mine and he told me that amongst many thousands of aircrew interviews which he conducted, one related to an officer based at an un-named Midlands or Cambridgeshire aerodrome. This officer, who had an excellent Squadron operational record, told Mike that there was a gap in his wartime RAF time for which he could not give details. The officer added that once a year he would receive a personal visit from "men from a certain London department" who would carefully quiz him about any approach which might had been made to him about this mysterious time, and caution him never to give any information on the matter.Mike's opinion about this was that the unit involved was testing gas-dropping operations, but in the light of this documentary, I can see another side to it.

interesting, but vague.

Jamie,
    Piqued my interest this did...

If you haven't got it or others, here's the link...http://www.uk2000scenery.com/newsite...es/Page20.html

Cheers

Shessi

Members who have read this thread: 0