Processor and Graphics cards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processor and Graphics cards

Processor and Graphics cards

Question for the testers - hopefully this can be answered now the NDA is lifted?

What FPS are you getting with which processor and Graphics card?

Obviously its still in test, but just wanting some idea of how intensive it might be?

I would really like to know too.
    My budget is very limited but I'm going to have to do something about;

Intel 4790K @ 4.4
    MSI GTX 780Ti
    16 Gig GDDR3 RAM
    250 Gb SSD

The graphics card is the bottle neck but I really can't afford a 2080Ti

It would be great to see some numbers by those that know.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

The NDA has not been lifted and probably won't be for testers. However, my system is an Alienware Aurora R7 running an Intel i7 8700 with 32 gigs of memory and a GTX 1080 graphics card with 8 gigs of memory. I am getting amazing results so far. I don't know (meaning I haven't figured out how to get it to show) my FPS but I'm guessing around 25-35 frames with very rare micro stutters.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

The computer I'm testing with is an Intel i7-6700K with 16.0 GB of RAM, and a GTX 1080 graphics card with 8 GB of memory, so nothing great at all, but the sim so far is as smooth as silk (even over cities) with the only exceptions being at major airports with 50% AI. Most of the sliders are at full right.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    The computer I'm testing with is an Intel i7-6700K with 16.0 GB of RAM, and a GTX 1080 graphics card with 8 GB of memory, so nothing great at all, but the sim so far is as smooth as silk (even over cities) with the only exceptions being at major airports with 50% AI. Most of the sliders are at full right.
    Thank you both, that is great news!

Very good news for me...

Yes, that's very encouraging to hear.
    GTX 1080 I can probably stretch to - if I don't eat for a bit. It'll be worth it and I could do with losing the weight!

Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Blog Entries
    For several years now, I've been using an MSI GTX 1070 Seahawk which is a water cooled GTX 1070, and its been amazing. It wont give you 4K output, but it will take a 4K setting and render it too your native resolution while maintaining most of the 4K quality. I personally cant tell the difference between 3K and 4K as my eyes are old and dont work as good as when i was young..
    I use a 55inch widescreen clocked at 60hz for a monitor.
    My Mother board is an AASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII with 24 gigs of Corsair Dominator Ram capable of boosts up to 3200 MHZ.
    My CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700 and cooling is provided by 16 normal fans and a coolermaster V8 GTS vapor chamber CPU cooler which keeps the machine below 65 degrees during heavy loads and 48 degrees watching you tube..

Results are:

X-Plane 11.50b16 @1920x1080 ( all settings maxed ) 30 - 90 FPS smooth using Vulkan.
    P3Dv4 @1920x1080 ( All settings maxed ) 60 - 120 FPS depending on the plane
    FSX @1920x1080 All settings maxed Too stupidly high to worry about..
    Skyrim, 80FPS during combat
    Oblivion, fallout3, fallout4 too high to think about, ever..

The 1070 is a tank that just flat out delivers, and at a current 229.00 dollars its hard to beat. In Fact, used Seahawks are going for upwards of 900 dollars I mean, look it up, I do not exaggerate. Other cards like the 1080 got all the glory, but the 1070 just keeps on giving in a way thats kept me delighted for over four years and will do so far into the future. In the still image below study the machines listed behind and above my ratings. Those are 2000+ dollar CPUs my machine was going up against and I trashed them with that 1070.. Its affordable and its magnificent. I cant recommend another GPU more highly..

Blog Entries
    OK, I'm posting this here.. Numbers are great if you have an imagination, but I aint got no imagination.. SO,, Here to see with your own eyes is what a 1070 is capable of. It's X-Plane 11.50b11 I think.. settings are maxed. please skip to 3:30 on the time signature or youll be subjected to what a rogue plugin can do to a sim ( been trying to hunt it down for months )..
    I hope you enjoy, and Yes, this card IS that special too me. Hopefully, this shows why..

Today I did some benchmark testing with DCS with everything maxed out on the settings. My rig is an i9-9900k based clock speed at 3.60 GHz, Turbo Boost to 5GHzm 32gb RAM, RTX-2080ti GPU at 11gb, 3 SSD's and one SG barracuda HDD. When I ran the F-16C, my CPU was clocking at 4.75GHz, GPU Temps were very good, looking HUD and above in the VC over dense scenery at Las Vegas, was seeing 60fps with no dips, dropped down low in the VC, 30/40fps with zero stutters. My net connection is nearly 500Mbps. Nearly all of the similar systems I saw running FS2020 showed solid FPS over NYC and other dense areas. Am hoping it pans out that way next week once I am settled into the sim.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STORMILM, also remember that DCS only uses x2 Cores. 1 for the simulation and 1 for the sound. So you were seeing all that off of 1 core. With Multi-core support, you would hope that FS2020 will be VERY effective at sharing the load and performance should be extremely good.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    My rig is an i9-9900k based clock speed at 3.60 GHz, Turbo Boost to 5GHzm 32gb RAM, RTX-2080ti GPU at 11gb, 3 SSD's and one SG barracuda HDD.
    Remarkably i just bought a rig with the same specs. Hehe (i was aiming at Alienware Aurora but i would've had to wait about 6 weeks to be delivered. Yeah, fogettabout it) The only difference is i went for 64Gb RAM (pretty cheap right now, well, more or less..) and 2 SSD's and 1 HDD. (made sure the SSD's are M.2) I didn't know about all that, my current system is 7 years old... ( i7-4960X, GTX1070)

Why did you choose i9-9900k, Storm ? And 5Ghz Turbo Boost, how do you make that happen ? ( i know nothing about OC or stuff like that)

Thanks!

[QUOTE: Why did you choose i9-9900k, Storm ? And 5Ghz Turbo Boost, how do you make that happen ? ( i know nothing about OC or stuff like that)[/QUOTE]

When my rebuilt 6 month old i7-8700K Dell rig got hut by lightning back on April 26th, I decided to get another Dell but with an i9 and a newer GPU. Dell ended up screwing me over on the delivery date so I cancelled the order and went with Falcon Northwest and am glad I did. I went with the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E MB with the i9-9900k. It's performance specs were very good. I mistakenly noted somewhere in the forums that my i9-9900K was not OC capable but it is in fact an Unlocked CPU. I chose to not order the OC config and just use the base 3.60GHz with the Turbo Boost (which is automatic but I guess can be reconfigured with certain programs for the MB). As mentioned, I am getting 4.75GHz on the Turbo Boost with no OCing. That's all the power I need for this and anything I currently plan on using.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is my current build, not intended for MSFS but probably capable of handling it if I decided to join the rush of the Lemmings on day 1.

'Intel Core i9 9900K+
    ROG RYUJIN Series AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11GB x2 in SLI
    128GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz,
    512GB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD x2
    4TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5in SATA SSD x4
    4TB Seagate Barracuda
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X DRG Tempered Glass ATX Anthracite Grey case
    Windows 10'

On the bench is another build which will outperform the current box, again not intended for MSFS, but more than capable of running anything I might throw at it.
    Initial use will be photography and video processing.

And a PS: Almost everything is difficult to get hold of as we Victorians are enduring a Stage 4 six week COVID lockdown.
    Curfew in force from 20:00EST through to 05:00 doesn't help, while living in a rural zone under a 5KM radius for 'Essential Supplies Only' means everything 'PC' is courier delivery only.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

This may be helpful to watch if you're concerned about how it'll work on a less-than-top-end PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VAxhYBq2o

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    When my rebuilt 6 month old i7-8700K Dell rig got hut by lightning back on April 26th, I decided to get another Dell but with an i9 and a newer GPU. Dell ended up screwing me over on the delivery date so I cancelled the order and went with Falcon Northwest and am glad I did. I went with the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E MB with the i9-9900k. It's performance specs were very good. I mistakenly noted somewhere in the forums that my i9-9900K was not OC capable but it is in fact an Unlocked CPU. I chose to not order the OC config and just use the base 3.60GHz with the Turbo Boost (which is automatic but I guess can be reconfigured with certain programs for the MB). As mentioned, I am getting 4.75GHz on the Turbo Boost with no OCing. That's all the power I need for this and anything I currently plan on using.
    Thanks, Storm. My computerprof says i9-9900K is not worth OC'ing as it goes to 5.1 GHz only as opposed to the Turbo Boost 5.0 GHz. So i didn't opt for that neither. I do have the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E MB as well.

Initially i had my eyes on a Dell Alienware Aurora (had Alienware before to great satisfaction) but that proved to have a delivery time up to six weeks. I thought that was ridiculous so i looked for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    This is my current build, not intended for MSFS but probably capable of handling it
    I sure hope you are being overly prudent here... ( heck...i just bought about that very same system, a.o. i9 9900K, RTX 2080 Ti) I mean, MS official ideal system specs doesn't even talk about i9... Does talk about the RTX 2080 Ti so i got that. So, what does you really mean with that 'probably' , Wombat ??..... (other than scare the hell outta me )

I think my computer (see sig for specs) should handle the new sim ok. There is room inside for upgrades if needed. To that end, I just ordered 8 8GB memory sticks, which will give me 64 GB. The motherboard supports 128, but dang... I'm not going to do anymore upgrading until I see how the sim runs with my current configuration.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Recently allowed in the closed beta and it runs extremely smooth at high settings over dense cities. My specs for reference:

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 Mobo
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    G.SKILL (4x8GB) 1600 RAM
    Asus Turbo GeForce RTX 2070 Super Evo
    2x512GB + 1x250GB Crucial SSD
    2x600GB WD HDD

Performance monitor

A 787 and 747 flight with the performance monitor running...

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    A 787 and 747 flight with the performance monitor running...

That RTX 2080ti is running at over 90% and looks to be using just about all of its vram to support 4K. 70C too. Not everyone has a 4K display, but those Ti cards are easily $1200 to $1900 depending on the retailer. Won't complain about $40 payware anymore.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Note that Nvidia has an event coming up on September 1 where the company is expected to announce its next-generation cards (either 30x0 or 21x0 series). https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/special-event/

Those should bring the cost of 2080 Ti-level performance down, as well as boosting top-end performance.

AMD is also supposed to be introducing their next-gen "Big Navi" cards in the November timeframe, and these are rumored to be more competitive performance-wise with high-end Nvidia cards than AMD's current cards. If that's true, then we could also see some price competition coming into play, something Nvidia hasn't had to deal with for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    That RTX 2080ti is running at over 90% and looks to be using just about all of its vram to support 4K. 70C too. Not everyone has a 4K display, but those Ti cards are easily $1200 to $1900 depending on the retailer. Won't complain about $40 payware anymore.

-d
    Having done this stuff in real life, I am not 'blown away' very often in a flight sim program. However, when I saw those wings flex on takeoff, I was 'blown away.'

I think Microsoft could sell this graphics engine to game developers. Might replace the Unreal engine.

Lastly, the guy's i7700 CPU was practically idling. He was GPU limited. That will be a new paradigm for us simmers.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Note that Nvidia has an event coming up on September 1 where the company is expected to announce its next-generation cards (either 30x0 or 21x0 series). https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/special-event/

Those should bring the cost of 2080 Ti-level performance down, as well as boosting top-end performance.

AMD is also supposed to be introducing their next-gen "Big Navi" cards in the November timeframe, and these are rumored to be more competitive performance-wise with high-end Nvidia cards than AMD's current cards. If that's true, then we could also see some price competition coming into play, something Nvidia hasn't had to deal with for a while.
    A little more info:

https://www.techradar.com/news/rtx-3080

Looks like I'm out. Here is an article with benchmarks. My 1050ti is equivalent to the r9 380 they benchmarked for a low end system. Kind of disappointing but not unexpected.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/293...ard-benchmarks

Members who have read this thread: 0