FSX / P3Dv3, v4 Vought Corsair F4U-5 and NF.zip

Thread: FSX / P3Dv3, v4 Vought Corsair F4U-5 and NF.zip

FSX / P3Dv3, v4 Vought Corsair F4U-5 and NF.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category P3D / P4D Add-Ons - Military aircraft

Description: FSX / P3Dv3, v4 Vought Corsair F4U-5 and NF

In 1945, the attention of the military aviation community turned to the turbo-jet-powered aircraft. The U.S. Navy, however, had decided they would keep the Corsair as their first-line fighter until the jet had been satisfactorily developed for carrier operations.The F4U-5 Corsair served almost exclusively as a fighter-bomber throughout the Korean War. Standard and night fighter versions with navigation instruments.

Native FSX / P3Dv3, v4 mdl by A.F. Scrub.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FSX / P3Dv3, v4 Vought Corsair F4U-5 and NF.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

I think that I have found and fixed a bug in this plane.

I have been flying it ever since it came out, and generally I enjoy it, but I've had the devil of a time landing it. It was near impossible to slow down, both on approach and after touchdown. I wrecked many of them on landing when it just rolled off the end of the runway without ever having decelerated much since touchdown. This didn't happen with any other Corsairs I have, including Scrub's F4U-1 and F4U-2.

Most notably, use of flaps didn't seem to help at all. So I looked into the aircraft.cfg file. The values were:

[flaps.0] //Trailing Edge Flaps
    type = 1
    span-outboard = 0.5
    extending-time = 3
    flaps-position.0 = 0
    flaps-position.1 = 12, 0.00
    flaps-position.2 = 25, 0.00
    flaps-position.3 = 37, 0.00
    flaps-position.4 = 45,0.00
    damaging-speed = 240
    blowout-speed = 260
    system_type = 1
    lift_scalar = 0
    drag_scalar = 0
    pitch_scalar = 1

Note that the lift_scalar and drag_scalar are both set to 0. On most other planes, including Scrub's F4U-1 and F4U-2, which have otherwise identical [flaps] sections, these are set to 1. I believe what setting them to 0 means is that the flaps will have no effect on lift or drag, which are what they are supposed to affect!

So I set them to 1 and immediately the flaps have the proper effect, and I can bring the plane to a stop on a normal runway.

Just a tip if you have been having a frustrating experience with this plane.

August

Members who have read this thread: 7