Contrails Update

Thread: Contrails Update

Contrails Update

I am making a new thread from http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4325-Contrails to clarify what I have found out.

1. The thread above and other information mentioned the following

-in ac xdp

For Single Engine

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>
    For Twin Engine

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_eng1_exh_l"/>

to go with effects.xml entry

The effect you need looks like this:

<fx_high_contrail ClassName="GroupEffect" Effect0="high_contrail_1" Effect1="high_contrail_2" Effect2=""/>
    <high_contrail_1 ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="30" FadeInTime="5" FadeOutTime="25" PosX="0" PosY="-0.5" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2000" SegmentLength="12" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha="0.33" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0.0" FinalColor="222 222 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds" ZBias=".03"/>
    <high_contrail_2 ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="30" FadeInTime="5" FadeOutTime="25" PosX="0" PosY="0.5" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2743" SegmentLength="8.75" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha="0.33" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0.0" FinalColor="222 222 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds" ZBias=".03"/>

=============
    gecko advised

Steps to fix contrails:

1. In the xdp of the aircraft you are having trouble with, find what contrail effect is listed in the effects section of the xdp.

2. Find that contrail effect in your effects.xml by searching for the effect name.

3. There will be a .dds texture called for by that effect. Add a new line under the HighAltSprite section of the texturemagic.ini with the name of the textures you found in the effects.xml as such: YOUR_TEXTURE_NAME.dds=6300|300

ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR STEP 3:

Replace the name of the .dds texture you found in the effects.xml with a texture that is already listed in the HighAltSprite section of the texturemagic.ini.

============

So i Looked at 2 different effects.xml files I have to see what was using the dds files already in the TextureMagic.ini file; namely

HighAltSprite]
    tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds=6300|300
    tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds=6300|300
    tr_condenstrail_basis3.dds= 2500|-1500
    vortice_low.dds=1400|-300
    vortice.dds=1400|-300

and to my surprise I found both fx_high_contrail and fx_vapor_trail (from gecko's Spifire?) use the same dds files; namely

tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds
    tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds

The fx_high_contrail effects.xml entries are above; the fx_vapor_trail entries are

<vapor_trail_a ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="40" FadeInTime="2.5" FadeOutTime="37.5" PosX="0" PosY="0" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2000" SegmentLength="12" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1.25" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha=".50" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0" FinalColor="255 255 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds" ZBias=".03"/>
    <vapor_trail_b ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="40" FadeInTime="2.5" FadeOutTime="37.5" PosX="0" PosY="0" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2743" SegmentLength="8.75" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1.25" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha=".50" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0" FinalColor="255 255 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds" ZBias=".02"/>
    <fx_vapor_trail ClassName="GroupEffect" Effect0="vapor_trail_a" Effect1="vapor_trail_b"/>

=============

So I replaced

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>

with

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>

and 'Voila!"

fx_high_contrail at 10 and 25K plus very 'lumpy!

fx_vapor_trail at 10K and then 25K

Much nicer!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

So I have found the following works best

1. Aircraft xdp files in effects

For Single Engine

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName=fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>

For Twin Engine

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng1_exh_l"/>

2. In effects file if not alreday;check!

<vapor_trail_a ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="40" FadeInTime="2.5" FadeOutTime="37.5" PosX="0" PosY="0" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2000" SegmentLength="12" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1.25" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha=".50" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0" FinalColor="255 255 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds" ZBias=".03"/>
    <vapor_trail_b ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="40" FadeInTime="2.5" FadeOutTime="37.5" PosX="0" PosY="0" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2743" SegmentLength="8.75" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1.25" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha=".50" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0" FinalColor="255 255 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds" ZBias=".02"/>
    <fx_vapor_trail ClassName="GroupEffect" Effect0="vapor_trail_a" Effect1="vapor_trail_b"/>

3. In TextureMagic.ini if not already or if preferred a different height.

[HighAltSprite]
    tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds=6300|300
    tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds=6300|300
    tr_condenstrail_basis3.dds= 2500|-1500

Nice work!

Trying this in the BoB mod, it didn't have those two contrail .dds filesbut the ETO install had them so I copied them over, and with the other recommended entries added I got this, with the BoB mod He111:

However, adding the two recommended lines to the BoB mod's 17 Sqn Hurri caused CFS3 to error on launching, reporting being unable to load the aircraft's altered .xdp file. Fairly sure I didn't mess up the edit.

OK these 2 are in missions I am doing for the BoB update using the info I posted above and BoB2xxxx Bf109 and Spitfires

Bf109 Top Cover engaging!

Spitfires discovering top cover is above them!

Those DDS files have been provided with AnKor's shader going back to Feb 2017 for just this reason.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&linkid=22449 (don't use this older version as it has been superseded)

This incredible addition to CFS3 was begun by Andrey Korchinskiy in December of 2013 and was originally intended to become part of WOFF so that it could access DX9 functionality making it compatible with the SweetFX shader injector. Since then it has grown to be so much more that it's easy to forget that it still provides the bridge to using SweetFX in CFS3. It's major features are:

External Views
    Aircraft Self Shadowing
    Anti-alias Aircraft Shadows On The Ground
    Tree and Building Shadows
    Dynamic Lighting
    Environmental Reflections
    Horizon Line Haze Blending
    Eliminated In Cloud Square Border
    Bump Mapping
    Ability To Add Shading Textures To Aircraft That Don't Reference Them In Their Model File
    Realistic Water Rendering
    Cloud and Terrain Shadows
    Adjustable Field Of View Angle
    Adjustable Night Sprite Effects Levels
    Searchlights
    Self-Illuminating Secenery Objects
    Altitude Controlled Track Effects

Tree Rendering with Alpha Transparency Effects

Cockpit Views
    Dynamic Reticles Variable Range Settings
    Mouse View
    Mouse Scroll Zoom
    Cockpit Lighting
    Luminous Gages
    Improved TrackIR Image Rendering

Performance Enhancements
    Multi-Processor CPU Management
    Modern Rendering Optimizations
    Cfs3config.exe No Longer Needed Everytime Video Drivers Update
    Auto Generates Mip Maps

These files are installed into the CFS3 main directory the same way as AnKor's previous versions.

This package includes some of my personal modifications, including new water files in the Effects folder, and a couple of adjusted .fx files (the originals are included with - Copy added to the names) in the Shader30 folder. These adjusted .fx files include several new variables near their tops that will let you fine tune the look of some of the effects. The suggested values are listed in the comments for the variable.

The foamamount value in SeaWater.fx is dependent on the water files you're using and is the cut-off brightness that switches the rendering animation from water to foam. Using a different set of water files than the ones I've included will most likely require you to change this value.

The TextureMagic.ini file has the list of my animated gunsite files already included too. The bottom of this file is where you can make edits to customize what will be included or not in the new auto-adjustment of special effect brightness at night to fit your particular installation.

I've also edited several settings in the d3d8.ini like the FOV that you may want to change to fit your particular set-up better since I'm running at an extra wide 3440 x 1440 resolution.

*** Warning ***
    You must turn off Dual Pass Render, and turn on the High Resolution Z Buffer, and Disable Shadows. in cfs3confing.exe.

Z Bias Resolution should be typically be limited to 15. Higher values can lead to some rendering problems on some systems.

Z Bias Flat effects should be set to 25 to reduce flickering of the bomb crater decals.

The CFS3 Default Water Detail Texture Size is 5 and the SeaWater.fx settings in this package are preset to match. Using a different texture size will change the appearance of the wave dimensions unless you adjust the values in SeaWater.fx to match.

2017 Changes:
    Head Shake calculated from the cockpit and gunner station locations. As the aircraft maneuvers your view is shifted in response to the g-forces being experienced. d3d8.ini contains new parameters to control the intesiity of this effect, and it can now be switched completely off as well.

Mouse Look activates in the cockpit when you move the mouse allowing you to dynamically change your view direction. If you stop moving the mouse it will rotate back to the default forward view direction after a preset time. Mouse look can be switched on/off in-game by clicking RIGHT mouse button and it starts OFF by default. So to use mouse look you will need to right-click the mouse once. This can also be temporarily disabled in game by going to an external view or holding down the "Alt" key in the cockpit.

Mouse Scroll Wheel Zoom works like using the [ and ] keys. The step size and smoothness of the transition between levels is set in the d3d8.ini.

This version also fixes the old "sky-colored triangles at edges of the screen" issue caused by head rotation when using TrackIR.

Improved CPU utilization.

Altitude Controled Track Effects are now available so contrails only show up at their appropriate altitudes.

Self-Illumination capability has been expanded to allow even black surfaces to display a light map. This will let you have lights shown on parts of scenery objects like building windows.

A comprehensive set of user instructions and developer notes with example images are included in this package.

MajorMagee

Discussion Thread
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Re "However, adding the two recommended lines to the BoB mod's 17 Sqn Hurri caused CFS3 to error on launching, reporting being unable to load the aircraft's altered .xdp file. Fairly sure I didn't mess up the edit."

I have added these lines to all BoB fighters including the ai chatter and so far no issue on start up. I will check out that particular ac later though.

Thanks for that! Probably I'm doing something dumb that I managed to avoid doing for the Heinkel!

EDIT - I think I have it - there was a missing set of opening double quotes ahead of fx_vapor_trail in the recommended lines for single-engine A/C:

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName=fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>

...should have been...

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_vapor_trail" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>

Last edited by 33lima; July 30th, 2020 at 08:36.

Re "However, adding the two recommended lines to the BoB mod's 17 Sqn Hurri caused CFS3 to error on launching, reporting being unable to load the aircraft's altered .xdp file. Fairly sure I didn't mess up the edit."

I have tested and OK! This is my xdp w\effects part. ( Some of the BoB Hurris' effects are not that impressive IMO!)

<Effects>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells0" EffectName="fx_shells_m" Location="gun_grp0b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells1" EffectName="fx_shells_m" Location="gun_grp1b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="UK_RAF_Bob1-_gunsight" PosX="0.000" PosZ="-0.575" PosY="0.700" Pitch="90.25" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

</Effects>

Thanks - it was the missing " in the recommended lines that was my problem.

I also found that in some sessions, there were no cotrails at all, then suddenly they were all there, after restarting CFS3 and possibly selecting different conditions. I used cfs3config to increase max Particles from just over 5k to just over double that and all seems well. EDIT - spoke too soon, one CFS3 session all the modified A/C have contrails, next session, they don't.

Last edited by 33lima; July 30th, 2020 at 10:14.

Interesting. I have the same problem with runway lighting and also my ILS sound 'guns' . Sometimes going to a different install and then back solves the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 1