Vought O2U Corsair

Thread: Vought O2U Corsair

Vought O2U Corsair

If you do a Google search for Tom Wintrow's Corsair for FS2004, you can find a couple of textures and a panel. By a miracle after hours of internet searching, I don't even know where I found it, I managed to find his O2U Corsair on wheels. All of the these textures and the panel say that it is compatible with either the wheeled or float version. Herein lies the problem, I would like to have the float version. After hours of frustration, I just quit trying to learn Gmax before I "kill myself" which I was going to use to merge floats I created with the wheeled version with wheels removed. I have beautiful prints even with sections for this in pdf but I will leave aircraft creation to others EVEN with what are tremendous videos by Milton Shupe. I wrote to Tom Wintrow's email a week ago and it did not come back but neither has it been answered asking him for the float version files. Does anyone here have the float version you can share with me? I'll stick to repainting and Sketchup scenery for my future in flight simulation. I'm just not meant to be an aircraft modeler in flight sim.

I know exactly how you feel. And I'm an accomplished solid modeller.

Hi Gents,
    Saw this post and like you tried to find the 02U-1, and found the CFS2 wheeled version HERE! ha ha. But, as you say, not the floatplane version anywhere.

Now, the Mick Morrissey who did the re-paints is our Mick here at SOH, so give him a PM, and see if he has the floatplane version...fingers crossed.

If he has, and you have a better than the CFS2 version, then pack them up and upload them here, ol' Mr Wintrow will not mind, as in his readme, he doesn't want it uploaded to several other sites, but that doesn't include SOH.

I'm an experienced FSDS man and use Gmax now and again for minor things, but it really is a steep learning curve compared to FSDS..so learning from scratch, although obviously not impossible is very hard, so understand your frustration.

See how you get on with that...there may be alternatives..

Cheers

Shessi

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Gents,
    Saw this post and like you tried to find the 02U-1, and found the CFS2 wheeled version HERE! ha ha. But, as you say, not the floatplane version anywhere.

Now, the Mick Morrissey who did the re-paints is our Mick here at SOH, so give him a PM, and see if he has the floatplane version...fingers crossed.

If he has, and you have a better than the CFS2 version, then pack them up and upload them here, ol' Mr Wintrow will not mind, as in his readme, he doesn't want it uploaded to several other sites, but that doesn't include SOH.

I'm an experienced FSDS man and use Gmax now and again for minor things, but it really is a steep learning curve compared to FSDS..so learning from scratch, although obviously not impossible is very hard, so understand your frustration.

See how you get on with that...there may be alternatives..

Cheers

Shessi
    Thank you for the advice, I will try sending a PM to Mick. We have PM'd before he and I. Wish me luck. Even if he has only a CFS2 I can convert that in MDCx which I have done before for other aircrafts. As happens Mr. Wintrow no longer does or is interested in Flight Sim all too often sadly because of "bad apples" doing something or other and spoiling it for the rest of us. It has happened too often.

Richard, check your PMs. I sent you a link to a copy of the CFS2 float version on my A-Drive storage site.

I was working with Tom and one other on a series of earlier Voughts when Tom retired from his job. If I recall correctly he was a hospital administrator. He had Gmax (or was it FSDS?) on his confutor at work and did most of his FS work there. When he retired he found that instead of having a lot more hobby time like he'd expected, he had none at all and gave up FS for lack of time.

When I retired I found myself in a similar situation, and even now, twelve years later, I still have less hobby time that I did when I was working full time. I know plenty of other retirees who found the same thing - instead of having plenty of time on their hands, they found themselves busier than ever. It's not as confounding as it may sound. When you're working you can think of things you don't have time for but hope to do when you retire. Then you retire and you have all those things to do, plus a whole lot of things you didn't even think of when you were working. So you're busier than ever, but the good part is that on your long list of things to do, the proportion of Wanna-Do things finally begins to outweigh the Gotta-Do stuff.

If any of you are thinking about retirement and wondering how you'll fill the time, you can stop worrying about it and retire. Your time will fill up more than you can imagine!

After 50 Years

After 50 years of working a day job 8-10 hours sometimes 7 days a week and coming home to work another part time job in my workshop producing ship models for other people (once IT was a hobby that became a profession when the cost of everything went up and my salary didn't) at home to make ends meet when I retire I vowed to myself that except for time at Church with the Lord all the rest of the time was mine and most of it is spent in flight sim. I gave up golf, fishing and boating for indoor "sports" my true passion I found. The only thing I have been unable to master is that infernal GMAX and my family made me give it up because it made me ornery all the time. Otherwise my daughter who puts the roof over our heads said I give up FS altogether and that was not an option so BYE BYE GMAX for good!

Thank you for the O2U Float version. Going to get to work on converting it and doing repaints which I think IMHO I've gotten better at each one I do. That is what learning should be.

I am going to open a new thread for the Vought O2U Corsair here and my success (I pray) and its true place on cruiser and battleship catapults.

I'd like to see both wheeled and float versions of the O2U-1 uploaded here at SOH. I can at least use them in FS9 until someone makes them FSX friendly.

Fsx mdl

I have the CFS2 wheel and Mick sent me the Float version. We need someone here that knows how to add the prop to each of them because the prop is gone. If I send someone the model file can they add a prop and post and share the new FSX MDLs. We have Tom Wintrow's permission to do whatever we need to with them as long as they stay freeware and are ONLY uploaded here on SOH. PM me if you are willing to volunteer to add the prop and to export them as FSX MDL's. Mick Morrissey has already done a couple of textures and I have an album full of photos to do more for the cruisers, battleships and old carriers.

Added The Props

Well, Tom Gibson of Calclassics graciously took the time and showed me how to get a prop from another freeware aircraft and how to attach it to the O2U-1 and that was successful. Problem though, when you resave the model, the animations get messed up. So...experimenting with the animation, I tried to reactivate it but that didn't work, the animation stopped going in circles in the sim but the "fixed" animation is NO ANIMATION except for the prop. At the moment it seems no O2U for the near future. Sorry, guys, I don't know enough about this stuff except to get in trouble. LOL! I haven't quit entirely but just stepping back for a better look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    After 50 years of working a day job 8-10 hours sometimes 7 days a week and coming home to work another part time job in my workshop producing ship models for other people (once IT was a hobby that became a profession when the cost of everything went up and my salary didn't) at home to make ends meet when I retire I vowed to myself that except for time at Church with the Lord all the rest of the time was mine and most of it is spent in flight sim. I gave up golf, fishing and boating for indoor "sports" my true passion I found. The only thing I have been unable to master is that infernal GMAX and my family made me give it up because it made me ornery all the time. Otherwise my daughter who puts the roof over our heads said I give up FS altogether and that was not an option so BYE BYE GMAX for good!

Thank you for the O2U Float version. Going to get to work on converting it and doing repaints which I think IMHO I've gotten better at each one I do. That is what learning should be.

I am going to open a new thread for the Vought O2U Corsair here and my success (I pray) and its true place on cruiser and battleship catapults.
    My favorite story of the day

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Well, Tom Gibson of Calclassics graciously took the time and showed me how to get a prop from another freeware aircraft and how to attach it to the O2U-1 and that was successful. Problem though, when you resave the model, the animations get messed up. So...experimenting with the animation, I tried to reactivate it but that didn't work, the animation stopped going in circles in the sim but the "fixed" animation is NO ANIMATION except for the prop. At the moment it seems no O2U for the near future. Sorry, guys, I don't know enough about this stuff except to get in trouble. LOL! I haven't quit entirely but just stepping back for a better look at it.
    So that's what you've been up to. I didn't see any additional posts to the Battle wagon thread you started (I guess that one is kaput for now). I was thinking that perhaps animated catapults
    could emulate the flaps movement on fixed wing aircraft by just swinging out or inboard or wings lowering/raising.

That's a shame about the prop animation not working for you. I had to look up the real aircraft to refresh my memory and that is an old time scout aircraft.

Hoping that you will find a way to get the prop issues sorted. That is a classic looking aircraft.

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/...air(Float).htm

Original CFS2

It is an original CFS2 aircraft that Tom converted to FS2002 but its way too old unfortunately FSX cannot display the model error. I converted it to FSX.mdl and that still did not help so this is a moot point for right now. I may do something with it in the future but if I do it will be a few months project. I like it a real lot too. This post will pop up again in October or November if I can learn to do what I want.

Members who have read this thread: 1