Here's a challenge for you U.S. WW2 aircraft fans.......

Thread: Here's a challenge for you U.S. WW2 aircraft fans.......

Here's a challenge for you U.S. WW2 aircraft fans.......

Ok.

My retired Master Chief buddy at the Naval Aviation Museum Tech Library has a aircraft part that he has, so far, been able to accurately identify which type of aircraft it belonged to.

I told him there was a better than good chance that someone on this forum will know! NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191116_133959.jpg   20191116_133339.jpg   20191116_133433.jpg  

WWII? The gear and flap indicator is from a taildragger but the 700MPH airspeed indicator has me stumped.

I went down the F8F rabbit hole, but I'm was trying to guess before the warbird experts post up! Maybe a new game NC? Take a pic from the mx hangar at NNAM with a random part.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    I went down the F8F rabbit hole, but I'm was trying to guess before the warbird experts post up! Maybe a new game NC? Take a pic from the mx hangar at NNAM with a random part.

Well, when the museum ever opens again! Still closed  NC

On a different subkect, Victory103, there still isn't a fix for the Aerosoft Tomcat AB effect missing in P3DV5, darn it!

SOH-CM-2020

Re: Here's a challenge for you U.S. WW2 aircraft fans.......

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Ok.

My retired Master Chief buddy at the Naval Aviation Museum Tech Library has a aircraft part that he has, so far, been able to accurately identify which type of aircraft it belonged to.

I told him there was a better than good chance that someone on this forum will know! NC

Hi all.

I am neither a pilot nor a panel guru, but when I saw this the schematic-sort of representation of the aircraft rang some sort of a bell. So I've had a look through some books but nothing as yet on that one.

However, I notice that this panel has 2 clocks set side-by-side - I'm sure I've never seen that before and can't think why you'd have it. Therefore if there's a question over one of the instruments, I'm wondering if any of them were originally on this piece of panel?? If you look at the overlay (?) piece it says "radio altimeter 'on' and 'range' switches inoperative", but the instrument that would appear above this legend as fitted is clearly not a radio altimeter. Indeed the flaps/wheel indicator really doesn't look like it belongs in the hole to which it been fitted.

The clock on the lower left is a close match for the one illustrated in Eric Brown's "Wings of the navy", p.334 as being from a Royal Navy FAA FGA-1 Phantom. Of course it a simple generic clock so it could have been fitted into any number of aircraft.

I haven't seen a match for any of the other instruments so far.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

SW.

F7F Tigercat perhaps?
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    The larger clock is a 24-hour clock I don't think I've ever seen in any aircraft's instrument panel - unless that aircraft was going to be airborne a long time. This isn't the entire panel by any means and there's no telling how large the whole assemblage would have been although maybe we could guess by looking at the curve of the top of the panel at the left side of the photo. To me this appears to be from a multi-engine panel, and the 24-hour clock may indicate it could have been in a transport or patrol bomber of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Ok.

Not much to go on Chief, but ASI shows 700 mph range? Not knots, which is a little strange. Maybe some type of prototype large airplane in early jet era - P6M, etc

I heard back from the Master Chief. He didn't offer any more information on the gauges. So for now, I am guessing we are at a standstill. Thanks all. NC

Members who have read this thread: 0