Seriously thinking of dtiching V5...for now

Thread: Seriously thinking of dtiching V5...for now

Seriously thinking of dtiching V5...for now

All,

Truth in advertising: I have not applied either P3D V5 "hotfix"...so I recognize some of the problems I complain about may be mitigated by that patch, and therefore self-inflicted.

I was an "early adapter" who bought P3D V5 (silly me). I was initially unimpressed with the havoc it played on textures, and in particular how dark the cockpits were. PBR seems like a colossal PITA in return for what you get frankly, so I figured my repaint days were over. ORBX scenery did it's usual great job of upgrading the surroundings, but V5 has broken many airplanes. Many major developers, in an apparent combination of enthusiasm for the "latest and greatest" MSFS 2020, focus on their military contracts that put food on the table, as well as their (well founded, I might add) concern for what they believe to be an as-still unsettled V5 baseline, have elected to slow any effort to make many of their titles V5 compatible to a glacier's pace. These factors leave those of us in V5 land in limbo, and I found myself avoiding flight sim and waiting...and grumbling.

After buying V5, I never uninstalled V4.5+. As a result, I decided to go over this afternoon and take a quick hop in MILVIZ's Talon (KRND-KEFD). Lovely. Enjoyed it. Had fun even. And it got me to thinking about the fact that in my own zeal to own and operate the "latest and greatest", I got tunnel vision and allowed my enjoyment of the hobby to dim, because I assumed 4.5+ was "washed up and on the way out". Far from it. I am absolutely certain most developers will get their airplanes and scenery compatible with V5-- as soon as they aren't shooting at a moving V5 baseline target, and can come up with an equitable (but realistic) means to charge or not charge for upgrades. Meanwhile, as far as I'm concerned, it's back to V4.5+ business as usual.

As a result, I am thinking of uninstalling V5 for now, downloading both the 4.5+ and 5 versions of airplanes and archiving them, but saving the V5 goodies for another day when the developers have caught up with the stabilized V5 baseline. In the meantime, there is plenty of fun to still be had in V4.5+...so off I go. Wish I had come to my senses a few months ago!

Anyone else struggling with this?

Kent

Get the Hotfix 2 version Kent. You won't be sorry at all. Nearly all of the issues you've experienced in the original v5 have been resolved, including the dark cockpits and many of the PBR issues. It's so much better than v4.5. My personal take. Your milage (and computer specs) may vary.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I'm where you are at!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Get the Hotfix 2 version Kent. You won't be sorry at all. Nearly all of the issues you've experienced in the original v5 have been resolved, including the dark cockpits and many of the PBR issues. It's so much better than v4.5. My personal take. Your milage (and computer specs) may vary.
    Thanks...guess I SHOULD try it, shouldn't I?

Thanks,

Kent

Running V5 with all the bells ringing and whistles blowing requires a swag of Vram. If you don't have a good quality card or at least have 8gigs on it, forget anything more than the basics. Especially if you run a lot of high end addons like scenery etc.

As a result, I am thinking of uninstalling V5 for now, downloading both the 4.5+ and 5 versions of airplanes and archiving them, but saving the V5 goodies for another day when the developers have caught up with the stabilized V5 baseline. In the meantime, there is plenty of fun to still be had in V4.5+...so off I go. Wish I had come to my senses a few months ago!

Kent[/QUOTE]

Kent,

I have the 2080 8Gig (not TI). With P3dv5, have to say it's still marginal. Yes, it looks good sometimes, but to be totally honest I see no real performance increase on my system, just sometimes spectacular views and clouds... Given also that the finicky nature of graphic driver updates, Windows 10 updates - each time I start my system I am seemingly in unknown territory as to whether it will start successfully or not. It is my experience that switching some 3rd party aircraft during a session, brings about a CTD also, even after HF2. (May not be a Lockheed issue).

I still think P3dv5 has the hallmarks of a potentially good FS.. but for each upgrade we require a an update for all those payware craft, weather engines, Nav Systems and the associated fiddling.

So I am done. Waiting for MS2020

Ray

Unfortunately there is another issue here. Ditching V5 and waiting for MSFS is all well and good but people are not going to enjoy the same wealth of add-ons and "upgrades" they get with the current crop of sims. Development for the new sim is going to take a long time. Nobody will be rushing into it and not all developers are actually confirmed as developing for it. Compatibility with existing FS add-ons is decidedly "iffy" and it is extremely unlikely that popular subjects will be delivered without charge. MSFS is very exciting but it is not the universal panacea for all that ails this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Unfortunately there is another issue here. Ditching V5 and waiting for MSFS is all well and good but people are not going to enjoy the same wealth of add-ons and "upgrades" they get with the current crop of sims. Development for the new sim is going to take a long time. Nobody will be rushing into it and not all developers are actually confirmed as developing for it. Compatibility with existing FS add-ons is decidedly "iffy" and it is extremely unlikely that popular subjects will be delivered without charge. MSFS is very exciting but it is not the universal panacea for all that ails this hobby.
    Not to hijack Kent's thread, I do not disagree with you...and yes,it will undoubtedly take some time for many 3rd party developers to either port across or build from scratch their current P3d models/scenery( and I believe those who want to keep investing time and money for a return in this business, are driven by the numbers). I think MS2020 will bring back a host of simmers who abandoned Flight simming years ago ... with realtime weather and simulated ground ops , improved flight dynamics, hugely improved scenery, ATC, navdata and multiplayer, all encompassed within the sim - I see this as a huge gain and an encouragement for new simmers as well.

I will look to what's available in the marketplace when DLC becomes available - for now looking forward to touch and go, and piston navigation across regional scenery in and around areas I have visited over the years and decades....

Best wishes
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Here is my opinion about pre order and incoming MSFS2020 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1230082 , personally I'll stay with P3Dv5 (for now). I have many opinion from alpha testers (cant write it here) about quality of MSFS2020 (for sure what they have now). Many will be disappointed. Its good marketing, movies, pictures but I'll prefer to wait a litte. I dont be again beta tester of released simulator . P3Dv5 is good very for me now and will be better (I hope). I will see what happens but for now I prefer to have low expectations for the new simulator to come.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post

Kent
    I hear you, im generally bored with whats out there, its been done over and over again in the past years with nothing new that jumps out slaps you in the face. Buggy addons, constant updates, long waits for compatibility fixes, the same aircraft over and and over again, no new models etc etc...

it seems lately as interesting as being strapped to chair and forced to watch non stop repeated episodes of the kadashins (or whatever or whoever its called) with no adds 24hrs a day, I rather stick my lil fella in a doorway and slam the door on it at times

It is getting harder and harder to be excited about it and oh boi I cant wait to hear all bout MSFS next month, thats going to be a real hoot at least you can hang up on a telemarketer or yell to the wife to get the gun when someone is asking for your donations or asks you about their beloved divine one at your door

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    I hear you, im generally bored with whats out there, its been done over and over again in the past years with nothing new that jumps out slaps you in the face. Buggy addons, constant updates, long waits for compatibility fixes, the same aircraft over and and over again, no new models etc etc...
    Matt-- I must confess...I had your initial post on the V5 release in mind (as in...."Wish I would have had Matt's patience about pulling the trigger on V5 when it came out...") when I was writing the original post. From what little I've read of MSFS 2020, it sounds like somewhat of a different concept frankly, and it sounds like the hardware requirements have increased again. I'm trying to get excited, but it's difficult, frankly. I like P3D. Nonetheless, I look forward to learning more about MSFS 2020...through others' experiences (initially, at least)!

Kent

Blog Entries
    Hi Kent,

I agree with the posters who suggest you install V5 HF2. I too was an early adopter. I had crash issues. HF1 fixed most of them. HF2 fixed other issues. Buying an 8GB 2070 Super graphics card to replace my 4GB 970 did the rest. I can now fly V5 with far fewer issues than any of the V4 iterations. Also, I love the way HF2 loads in like 30 seconds. I don't even have time to get a cup of coffee.

As for MSFS 2020, I am with YoYo. I will take a wait and see attitude. I have too much money in scenery and aircraft to just leave it all behind to try the next "flightsim drug." People talk about the thousand points of flight dynamics. As a real world pilot, I think most people will not be able to tell the difference. The only possible exceptions might be in high AOA slow flight or things like slips (which suck in FSX/P3D).

The people who may benefit the most from the new MSFS may be the screenshot artists. The eye candy is undeniable beautiful. I, however, rarely come out of VC when flying.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it, unless someone convinces me otherwise.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I agree with the posters who suggest you install V5 HF2.
    You are absolutely correct...I need to install the HF 1 and 2 as soon as my work schedule permits.

Kent

the guys are absolutely right, hf2 makes a difference,

v4.5hf3 or v5hf2 there are some pros and cons with both, however v5 vs v5hf2 youre mad if youre not, just do a full install of hf2, that way your covered for client, content and scenery.

Otherwise youre not making the most of the fixes

as for msfs watching a lot of the leaked videos and reading the comments, i do agree its looks more arcade-sh like gta 5. They look no way near as pretty as the MS promo videos. I guess thats advertising for you. McDonalds do a great job making their food look tasty however it tastes or looks nothing like the add or menu

It will take a long time for msfs to have the selection of addons we have now for p3d or fsx, pity there are no planned helos for it as theyre not entirely happy with the FDE for helos

I believe, from what I have read, that MSFS will also be on a regular update cycle, just like DCS and P3D, it's always going to be Beta, so addons will still need to be updated over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    I believe, from what I have read, that MSFS will also be on a regular update cycle, just like DCS and P3D, it's always going to be Beta, so addons will still need to be updated over and over.
    thanks youre full of good news arent you. so same sh!te different shovel

You hit the nail on the head there mate
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Blog Entries
    I have read, but I don't know if it is true, that updates will be just like Windows 10, automatic.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I'm quite happy with P3Dv5 at this point.
    As for add-ons, many older subjects work (except for Captain Bloody Sim!) and that suits me.
    Regarding the upcoming release of MSFS, I'm just going to watch the general unhappiness of early adopters re bugs that plague premature releases.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    ...(except for Captain Bloody Sim!)....
    I hear ya...what I wouldn't give for the 727 Captain package in V4.5+ or V5! (Especially love that -100)

Kent

Hi there Kent,

+1 on installing Hotfix 2. What do you have to lose?

Regarding FS2020; I have been saying this from the start/announcement and promotional video's. They all sound and look great, but let's wait and see what hardware/internet speed is required to even come anywhere close to that.

I will hold off on purchasing FS2020 and see what experiences are of those with moderate specs who do not have the resources to upgrade, and what issues arise.

Till then, I am very happy in my P3Dv4.5, P3Dv5 HF2 and XP11.50 world.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Well,here's to the early adopters. Think about it, without them, you wouldn't have had FSX SP2, P3DV5, or a large number of higher end add-ons and sceneries. It's tough work but somebody has to do it. And pay for it. You can't have a valid opinion if you don't have the experience. We are not talking about a huge investment here, you really need better graphics cards anyway if you stick with V5 so the additional cost is the sim itself. Less than a lot of V5 addons these days. Go on jump in, it won't hurt you.

I am one of the Guinea pigs that will undoubtedly find what I do and do not like about FS2020 but I have seen enough good about it to take the risk. I believe it will set the new and long awaited standard in Flight Sim products and more and more developers are coming on board. I will continue to use P3Dv4 for the time being but eventually I will retire it and it's various addons as I have in the days of FS9, FSX. I am sure some devs will find the means to port over or will build new native versions of their current models into FS2020. In regards to the scenery server and needed bandwidth, if you have 50 to 100mbps speeds, you will enjoy excellent smooth performance even in multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezcSVFQdc5g&t=213s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Without turning my post completely into an MSFS2020 post. I opted to not even bother with V5. I invested so much into 4.5 I didn't see the need for moving everything over to 5, just because it was marginally newer than 4.5. Especially with the first round of issues I read about. The close nature to HF2 release and the development cycle of MSFS2020 also didn't seem worth it to me since I'm plenty happy with 4.5. But, again, that's just me. I'm not jumping directly into 2020 either, I'm likely sitting on V4.5 and DCS until those initial issues with 2020 get patched. I'm sure there will be some considering it's complexity. Also, gives me time to invest in a specific hard drive for 2020. As I don't see myself giving up DCS or 4.5. Especially, since I'm still developing stuff for P3D. Kind of a side note for 2020 though, a lot of developers have kept silent on their projects for 2020 because they are under NDAs. There's more addon developers already working on stuff than people think. I'd also take that into account as well. In all honesty I'd see a big downswing in V5 content from aircraft developers once 2020 comes out. At least initially.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Members who have read this thread: 1