Freeware Su25 and SU39 released

Thread: Freeware Su25 and SU39 released

Freeware Su25 and SU39 released

Anyone take a look at this in the P3D forum? The info says it'll work in FSX.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

So you've also read about the copyright concerns regarding the VC?

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    So you've also read about the copyright concerns regarding the VC?

Priller
    Yes, I did and your point??

As I read the comments the discussion is ongoing. If there is a violation of copyright, I would assume our admins and fsdevelopers would pull the download?

Anyways, I'm just asking the question.
    -- WH

I think I saw somewhere that it used the Su25 by Kazunori Ito. But it looks like the control surface edges have been leveled a bit -- Ito's tend to have a curved edge where they meet the adjoining surfaces.
    So I was wondering if the recent repaints by L'iguane would work on this one?

I don't think it's Ito's model. They both use different texture files for the exterior. Speaking of which, there are A LOT of duplicate texture files in this package. What I did was delegate all of the textures excluding su25t_DEFAULT, vcx_DEFAULT, and the thumbnail into a common texture folder, then added a texture.cfg to each paint pointing to said common folder. File size dropped from 3+ gigs to less than 400 mbs (mine is at 317 mbs with further modification). The FDE needs some TLC but after some tinkering, she's absolutely a keeper!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frogfoot.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by InDeepSchit View Post
    I don't think it's Ito's model. They both use different texture files for the exterior. Speaking of which, there are A LOT of duplicate texture files in this package. What I did was delegate all of the textures excluding su25t_DEFAULT, vcx_DEFAULT, and the thumbnail into a common texture folder, then added a texture.cfg to each paint pointing to said common folder. File size dropped from 3+ gigs to less than 400 mbs (mine is at 317 mbs with further modification). The FDE needs some TLC but after some tinkering, she's absolutely a keeper!
    Thanks for that suggestion.

Only items I dislike include the HUD an the landing lights. None of the HUD switches function so you can't change the color when flying in the dark. And the switch for the landing lights is everywhere inside the VC, and when turned on the entire exterior lights up. Seems the landing lights are part of the model as there's no landing lights as part of the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. Wish there was a manual or readme file on what switches work or are inop.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion.

Only items I dislike include the HUD an the landing lights. None of the HUD switches function so you can't change the color when flying in the dark. And the switch for the landing lights is everywhere inside the VC, and when turned on the entire exterior lights up. Seems the landing lights are part of the model as there's no landing lights as part of the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. Wish there was a manual or readme file on what switches work or are inop.
    There's that, and the landing gear doesn't compress/decompress. Also the left trailing edge flap isn't animated to retract all the way. She has her quirks and is by all means a "fixer-upper", but for that price I'd say she's worth keeping around. Your mileage may vary of course.

There is another FSX Frogfoot on Flightsim.com by Michael Roberts that was released in 2012. It has four models (based on Ito's Frogfoot) and seems to share some of the same gauges.

Just for giggles I downloaded it, and swapped out the TSR2.cab file and it fixed the issue with the HUD. I now have a green hud for night flying vs. the black HUD that you can't see. Still the HUD control switch is not working, unless I'm clicking in the wrong spot.
    -- WH

That shark's going to ingest a fish any minute now. Great shot.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Hi InDeepSchit

it was good tip from you to tidy up the textures folder down to est. 400 mb...
    Now I have flown this bird in my sim... It´s nice and simple to fly.

Could you explain what you have done with the FDE to improve it?...

Many greetings

RS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-7-22_18-17-50-454.jpg   2020-7-22_17-24-44-12.jpg  

The FDE got a complete overhaul from me. I gave it a new .air file and went through sections of the aircraft.cfg (notably aircraft_geometry, flight_tuning, weight_and_balance, all engine data sections, etc., etc.) for fine tuning to better emulate the real thing. I got the .air file from Rob Richardson's Gloster Meteor NF14 as I've found it's a great starting point for cold war era fighter jets and aircraft of similar performance.

Off topic from the FDE, I also cleaned up the fltsim.x entries. Those were particularly messy.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    The FDE got a complete overhaul from me. I gave it a new .air file and went through sections of the aircraft.cfg (notably aircraft_geometry, flight_tuning, weight_and_balance, all engine data sections, etc., etc.) for fine tuning to better emulate the real thing. I got the .air file from Rob Richardson's Gloster Meteor NF14 as I've found it's a great starting point for cold war era fighter jets and aircraft of similar performance.

Off topic from the FDE, I also cleaned up the fltsim.x entries. Those were particularly messy.

Hi InDeepSchit,

thank you for your feedback. The fltsim entries were really messy...It seems you´ve done a lot of work to pimp that bird. I am looking foward what FS 2020 offers us "mere mortals" to match the real flight envelope of a bird...

Many greetings RS

You're referring to Rob's Armstorng Whitworth Meteor NF14, right?

Any chance of you sharing the changes to the aircraft.cfg when you're done? I'd like to try them out.

BTW - I correct a couple of errors in the aircraft.cfg. [fltsim.27] is duplicated; need to renumber the second entry to [fltsim.28]. And the last two fltsim entries have misspelled references to the texture folder for the Ukraine textures. Should be texture-ukraine1; the initial entry was missing the 'e'.
    -- WH

You're referring to Rob's Armstorng Whitworth Meteor NF14, right?

Any chance of you sharing the changes to the aircraft.cfg when you're done? I'd like to try them out.

BTW - I correct a couple of errors in the aircraft.cfg. [fltsim.27] is duplicated; need to renumber the second entry to [fltsim.28]. And the last two fltsim entries have misspelled references to the texture folder for the Ukraine textures. Should be texture-ukraine1; the initial entry was missing the 'e'.
    Yup, that's the one. And I'll get the last of the tinkering done sometime tomorrow so I should have the goods up here by then. I think I'll upload the data below the fltsim and camera entries in a notepad since I axed some paints that I know I won't fly (everything that wasn't Russian, Ukrainian, and Czech). A quick copy n' paste will do the trick.

Freeware Frogfoot FDE Update

Well I think I'm wholly satisfied with how this came out, so upon request, I'm sharing my FDE update with you all. I've also included a text doc on how to link the smoke effect to the throttle movement for that authentic Soviet-era chainsmoking-turbojet aesthetic. Just follow the instructions and utilize the provided links (if need be) and you'll be airborne in no time at all.

Su-25 FDE update.txt
    Su-25 Smoke & Throttle link.txt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frogfoot smoke.jpg  

Well I think I'm wholly satisfied with how this came out, so upon request, I'm sharing my FDE update with you all. I've also included a text doc on how to link the smoke effect to the throttle movement for that authentic Soviet-era chainsmoking-turbojet aesthetic. Just follow the instructions and utilize the provided links (if need be) and you'll be airborne in no time at all.

Su-25 FDE update.txt
    Su-25 Smoke & Throttle link.txt
    Nicely done. Thanks for you efforts.
    -- WH

Nicely done. Thanks for you efforts.
    You're quite welcome! Glad I could be of assistance.

Thank you for the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Thank you for the mods.
    My pleasure!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

THX

Hi InDeepSchit

I´ve checked out your FDE update and it feels really good...also the smoke effect.

Thank you for sharing you work!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-7-28_11-56-30-799.jpg   2020-7-28_11-53-46-347.jpg  

Anybody able to get the switches working for the HUD? Curious as to their function?
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 1