Dusted off my old CFS2 disks

Thread: Dusted off my old CFS2 disks

Dusted off my old CFS2 disks

So it's been a long time, but I dug out my old CFS2 disks and installed it on my Windows 10 system.

It runs but I can't get any sort of decent graphics, it won't run at all (black screen) at my monitors native resolution of 2560x1440, and none of the available in game graphics selections are any good quality wise.

I'm running an Nvidia Gforce RTX 2080Ti, and I figure that's where the problem is, but I have no idea how to fix it, possibly an edit to the CFS2 cfg file, which I don't even know where to find it, and even if I did I wouldn't know what to enter.

If anybody can help me with this or offer suggestions it would be appreciated, thanks.

shoobedoo,
    First thing, uninstall from default location.
    You need to install directly into C:\Combat Flight Simulator 2 or some other location other than the default.
    Windows 10 doesn't like it installed in the default location.

Second, once installed (we didn't used to sanction this), Do the CFS2.exe 172KB "no CD" fix. Windows 10 doesn't like the default CFS2.exe, then right click the CFS2 Icon or exe file and under Properties/Compatibility run as Administrator and compatibility mode for XP SP3.

Third, the CFS.cfg is right in the main CFS2 folder just above the CFS2.exe file AFTER you run it the first time, though all I change in it is to ZERO out the play movie, i.e.:

[MAIN]
    ShowLogo=0
    ShowMovie=0

Everything else you can do in settings when the program is running.

That is a powerful Video card. I have run CFS2 under nVidia GT1050Ti in windows 10. Not sure about the RTX 2080Ti...

Hope this helps.
    Devilddog73

Quote Originally Posted by shoobedoo View Post
    So it's been a long time, but I dug out my old CFS2 disks and installed it on my Windows 10 system.

It runs but I can't get any sort of decent graphics, it won't run at all (black screen) at my monitors native resolution of 2560x1440, and none of the available in game graphics selections are any good quality wise.

I'm running an Nvidia Gforce RTX 2080Ti, and I figure that's where the problem is, but I have no idea how to fix it, possibly an edit to the CFS2 cfg file, which I don't even know where to find it, and even if I did I wouldn't know what to enter.

If anybody can help me with this or offer suggestions it would be appreciated, thanks.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    shoobedoo,
    First thing, uninstall from default location.
    You need to install directly into C:\Combat Flight Simulator 2 or some other location other than the default.
    Windows 10 doesn't like it installed in the default location.

Second, once installed (we didn't used to sanction this), Do the CFS2.exe 172KB "no CD" fix. Windows 10 doesn't like the default CFS2.exe, then right click the CFS2 Icon or exe file and under Properties/Compatibility run as Administrator and compatibility mode for XP SP3.

Third, the CFS.cfg is right in the main CFS2 folder just above the CFS2.exe file AFTER you run it the first time, though all I change in it is to ZERO out the play movie, i.e.:

[MAIN]
    ShowLogo=0
    ShowMovie=0

Everything else you can do in settings when the program is running.

That is a powerful Video card. I have run CFS2 under nVidia GT1050Ti in windows 10. Not sure about the RTX 2080Ti...

Hope this helps.
    Devilddog73
    Thanks a bunch Devildog, following your suggestions I got it working at a max resolution of 1920x1440, the screen still goes black if I select my monitors native resolution of 2560x1440, but I can live with it.

One other thing I had to do to get the graphics working correctly was in properties/compatibility I had to check the box that says "High DPI Scaling override, Override high DPI scaling behavior performed by application", otherwise the game wasn't fitting the screen correctly.

I may do some research to see if I can "force" any higher resolutions with my RTX 2080Ti, either by modifying the dispaly entry in the CFG file, or possibly in the registry.

Thanks again for your help.

Also skim this http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...content-thread

This tutorial and info on installing CFS2 on Win 10 could also be useful https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w4M...ew?usp=sharing I made it.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Also skim this http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...content-thread

This tutorial and info on installing CFS2 on Win 10 could also be useful https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w4M...ew?usp=sharing I made it.
    Thanks Allen.

Welcome back!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I can only say that this is awesome timing. I was doing a clear up of the garage the other day and quite literally blew dust off a disc cover and CFS2 was under it. I nearly threw it away thinking it would never run again especially on Win10.

Luckily the missus stopped me and said " you need to sort out the whole box, why don't you choose another day to go through it properly".

I chose to do it "another day", and now i'm reading that it can.

This was my favourite for a long time and didn't think any other combat sim could beat it.

Members who have read this thread: 0