Normandy - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: Normandy

  1. #26
    SOH-CM-2020 Ravenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,047
    Lee,

    It is possible to have an aircraft set up as a ship, rather than having an aircraft in a ship. Stuart has made an exploding boat which the sim recognises as a plane.

  2. #27
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,541
    Everyone,

    For those interested, please take a look at Pointe-du-Hoc and Omaha-Gold Beach in Google Earth or actual photos, or even, FSX flying at 100 feet altitude along the coast.
    CFS2 does NOT do it justice. Rhumba's mesh is better than stock default Normandy, but even it is not like the Cliffs of the area in reality.

    Since we have the Cliffs of Dover, Gibralter, perhaps the western cliffs of Ireland (I will go fly there in CFS2 in a few minutes), there has to be a way to properly make Normandy mesh more accurate in CFS2.

    Please, please, would someone who knows mesh step in and do that very short distance of Omaha and Gold Beaches?

    DD73
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

  3. #28

    Options and possibilities..

    Somewhere out of the dawn at Normandy.......

    Just some shots of possibilities and options.

    But have to agree with DD that doing it with mesh would be much better.

    Also it shows just how in an aviation sim, land/sea based stuff just doesn't show up as well!

    Cheers

    Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Normandy Cliffs 2.jpg   Normandy Cliffs 1.jpg   Normandy Cliffs 3.jpg   Normandy Cliffs 4.jpg   LCI 3.jpg   LCI 2.jpg  

    LCI 1.jpg  

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    WOW!

    Can we get some of these for Normandie?

    https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/mat...ng-craft/lct-r

    Not sure if CFS2 will accept them, but WOW!
    There's got to be a way to arm a LCT with our aircraft rockets just for the effect....
    Hi Devildog73,
    I have what you need. It is the AF lci equipped with rockets. It is installed as a AC.
    But the only way one can get lots of rockets is to have it as a player AC.
    I am not sure what would happen if they were in a mission as AI.
    Anyway here it is for you to try.

    Regards,
    B24Guy

    P.S. Change the file extension form 7z to zip to unpack. Put the LCI_350 folder in with your other AC.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  5. #30
    DD, all the gliders were done by Baldy (as flyable aircraft)

    Hamilcar
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=50&id=23288
    Hadrian
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=52&id=23250
    Horsa
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=50&id=23195
    & skinpack
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=58&id=23241

    It would probably be more useful to have some low poly scenery bgls of these to populate the landing grounds I guess ...

    IIRC a long time ago GavinC did a glider weapon as a payload... I think it was a Hadrian

  6. #31
    Here are Google Earth Flight Simulator shots of Omaha Beach looking west and east from just east of the memorial.

    I don't think CFS2 is really that bad with Rhumba's mesh and Sander's terrain activated. The cliffs at the western end of the beach are not high enough and are set too far back from the shore. They possibly can be fixed with a flatten file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omaha West.jpg   Omaha East.jpg  

  7. #32
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,541
    Thanks B24Guy!
    I will tinker with it and see if I can make it into an AI.....

    Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Devildog73,
    I have what you need. It is the AF lci equipped with rockets. It is installed as a AC.
    But the only way one can get lots of rockets is to have it as a player AC.
    I am not sure what would happen if they were in a mission as AI.
    Anyway here it is for you to try.

    Regards,
    B24Guy

    P.S. Change the file extension form 7z to zip to unpack. Put the LCI_350 folder in with your other AC.
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

  8. #33
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    DD, all the gliders were done by Baldy (as flyable aircraft)

    Hamilcar
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=50&id=23288
    Hadrian
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=52&id=23250
    Horsa
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=50&id=23195
    & skinpack
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=58&id=23241

    It would probably be more useful to have some low poly scenery bgls of these to populate the landing grounds I guess ...

    IIRC a long time ago GavinC did a glider weapon as a payload... I think it was a Hadrian
    Thanks UncleTgt!
    Yes, I have Baldy's Waco Hadrian, Horsa and Hamilcar.
    I think somewhere I have GavinC's as well, just have to dig a bit deeper.
    I have your skins for Baldy's Horsa.
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

  9. #34
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Here are Google Earth Flight Simulator shots of Omaha Beach looking west and east from just east of the memorial.

    I don't think CFS2 is really that bad with Rhumba's mesh and Sander's terrain activated. The cliffs at the western end of the beach are not high enough and are set too far back from the shore. They possibly can be fixed with a flatten file.
    Yeah, I have a flatten which does okay with them, but it puts the cliffs way back away from the Channel.
    I thought about trying to make two flattens one at -0.5 feet with water textures and one at 1 foot with rocky sand from water to cliffs.
    Also, from photos I've seen circa June 1944 those cliffs were not as green as CFS2 presents them.
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

  10. #35
    Here's a flatten file which brings the cliffs close to the shoreline at the western end of the beach.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  11. #36
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Here's a flatten file which brings the cliffs close to the shoreline at the western end of the beach.
    Thanks kdriver!

    Here are a few shots of what I have been working on in MB and FSSC.
    I haven't delved into Ground2K yet.

    I have yet to find the exact water texture used in surrounding scenery.....

    Also, the ONLY scenery which bears even the slightest accuracy to June 1944 is Sainte-Mere-Eglise.
    As I endeavor to make the smaller villages in the area, I will attempt to make them accurate.
    The larger cities like Carentan and Valognes, not so much......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carentan Canal.jpg   Valognes NW to SE.jpg   Valognes SE to NW.jpg   Ste Mere Eglise NW to SE.jpg   Carentan S to N.jpg  
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

  12. #37
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,541
    Work in progress, but getting there......

    Thank you marcacanion for your ETO_Inf-Packs!

    I attempted to contact the author at the listed email, but it bounced back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omaha Beach_1.jpg   Pointe-du-Hoc_2.jpg   Pointe-du-Hoc.jpg  
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Members who have read this thread: 132

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •