Windows 7 or 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 or 10

Windows 7 or 10

Hi all,

I am beginning to suspect my PC may be getting towards the end of its life. Still stable for now and I'm keeping important stuff backed up, but I'm looking into possible replacements. My biggest hangup is not wanting to make the jump to windows 10. I infinitely prefer windows 7, but a new windows 7 pc is probably near impossible to find. So I need some assurance here - are there any remaining major hangups with windows 10 and cfs3? Do all the tools work, like MB, mos editor, gmax plugins, terrains sdk tools etc? I don't want loose any modding capability, and would consider any alternative if switching to 10 entails a loss of capability.

On a far less important note - are there any ways to make windows 10 less ugly? I really like the windows 7 glass look. By comparison windows 10 looks like crayons.

I hated switching but went with the free upgrade from win7 Pro to Win10 pro and got used to it. I've never had issues with any tools I have used and followed the advice here of putting in root directory making SP3 compatible, etc. Andy's probably the expert though.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

The biggest issue to start with is that Win 10 does not include the service that allows the program to activate the CD reader to check for a valid license if you don't have the DVD version. After that following the advice in the sticky section covers most of the issue you'll run into.

In my case, after the last computer upgrade that included Win 10 Pro, I no longer need to run in any sort of compatibility mode.

Having said that, what I hate the most about Win 10 is the once or twice a year major revision updates that uninstalls all of my programs. It physically leaves them there, but they are unregistered requiring reinstallation for them to run. After the first couple of times struggling through this, I made two pages of notes to use as a checklist on what I need to do to restore everything.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

If you never properly install it, but just transfer a working game folder over, will it still work? I've not used a CD to install anything CFS3 related in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post

Having said that, what I hate the most about Win 10 is the once or twice a year major revision updates that uninstalls all of my programs. It physically leaves them there, but they are unregistered requiring reinstallation for them to run. After the first couple of times struggling through this, I made two pages of notes to use as a checklist on what I need to do to restore everything.
    Interesting! That hasn't happened to me ... so far! ( Win 10 since it was free for win 7 users)

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    If you never properly install it, but just transfer a working game folder over, will it still work? I've not used a CD to install anything CFS3 related in a very long time.
    You have to have at least one install properly registered. After that MuitiCFS3 works just fine on the others.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Windows 10 can work with GMax, mos editors etc, I've had it work with everything CFS3-related I can think of. That said, like MajorMagee I've had one or two very frustrating experiences after microsoft-imposed updates. Win 10 in an extremely arrogant and high-handed and patronising manner assumes you to be incapable of deciding when and if you install a Windows update. So you just get lumbered with them. Period.

Now that hard disk space is so cheap, I am tempted to keep entire copies of all CFS3 installs just so I can wipe the C drive and reformat if a serious problem with the OS is encountered.

So does that mean I need a DVD copy to install the first time? I've only got the original CDs.

I still have my original CFS3 cds and have installed in Win10 using them. Apart from the extra step mentioned in the sticky because of cd security no longer working, it does the job. Export from Gmax also still works, as does the MOS editor - once you tell it which folders to look in for files. You will have to install the DirectX 9.0c June 2010 package and enable early NET versions in Win10.

I have no issues worth mentioning.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Like everyone using their ancient cd version the only issue I have had is the cd key authentication. Once you get that everything works fine. I thought I would have issues with Gmax and the SDKs but nothing, straight in working.

The cd key thing frustrated the living daylights outta me though till I figured/found the way round it which I had on an old cd with multiple CFS3 installs on.

Only way around it really is to build a new Win7 PC specifically for CFS3/old games and software. Then have a modern Win10 setup for all new/future software etc.

Dave

Is there a way to segregate my CFS3 stuff so things don't get messed up by updates?

My restoration process takes about 2 days to get everything running again. I've gone from losing everything the first time it happened, to preserving everything so I can recover and reinstall it, so that's progress I suppose.

The sad thing is that Win 10 asks if you want to keep your files or wipe everything out and start over. You tell it that you want to keep everything, and it then proceeds to do a semi-destructive update anyway. Their explanation is that you may need to update your programs to be compatible after the "upgrade", so they're just getting things started for you...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Why Not?

Do a new system build and double boot installing win 7 1st.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00404.jpg  
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

A dual-boot system is also an option – I used to do that with Win7 and XP back in the day. Just so long as your hardware supports Win7; a lot of new gear just doesn't support it.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Good point Tom. If you have someone build the new system you could make them agree that the system will run both win 7 and 10.

Here is another method which I recently came across which has possibilities.
    https://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-sy...der-windows-10
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Not being much of a hardware guy and having failed in two attempts so far to set up a dual boot system, when the time comes I think I will probably go with a known quantity like Dell, which I've had no complaints with over the years and bite the bullet on Windows 10, may as well get used to it since at some point there won't be any other option. That said, I want to minimize the fallout from the switch as much as possible. If I get one with dual HDs, are my files safe from W10 updates if they are on a different HD than the OS? Curious what your update checklist is Andy, would you mind sharing?

It's two going on three pages of handwritten notes specific to my system, and installed programs.

For example is says things like:

Turn on Gsync and 100 MHz in control panel.

Reinstall TrackIR 5.4.2 USB device drivers.

RegEdit CurrentUser\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Currentve rsion\APPComponentFlags\Layers to add string DWM8and16BitMitigation

etc., etc., etc.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Dan whatever you do get the Windows 10 "Pro" version, that is a must!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Why pro? I've never understood the difference between the different versions.

Why pro? I've never understood the difference between the different versions.
    Because of the updates. If you have a "Home" version, you'll be a beta tester for their updates.

I got a (legit) Enterprise version. My employer gave me a life license for testing. Enterprise gives you almost full control over updates (and privacy).

From worst to best:

Home - pro - Education - Enterprise

Cheers,

Priller

Thanks Priller!

Yea Dan don't get the home version, I've had no problems with W10 Pro, even though it still updates itself, like it or not!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

I have 10 Pro and frankly have never had; so far; the issues people have mentioned and I run CFS3 on 2 different SSDs. Now I do have odd issues with the config and some CTDs, but I'm not sure how much Win10 is to blame other than CFS3 is an old programme best run with win XP! Not to mention all the odd things I may have done to the multiple installs.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I have 10 Pro and frankly have never had; so far; the issues people have mentioned and I run CFS3 on 2 different SSDs. Now I do have odd issues with the config and some CTDs, but I'm not sure how much Win10 is to blame other than CFS3 is an old programme best run with win XP! Not to mention all the odd things I may have done to the multiple installs.
    As for the config files, simply delete them and let them rebuild.

Also, run CFS3.exe in compatibility mode. That solves a whole lotta problems with older programs.

And yeah, doing "odd things" to programs will make them buggy sometimes!

EDIT: updates are not necessarily a bad thing. In fact it is for your security.

Cheers,

Priller

I'm afraid that is a recipe for disaster in Windows 10. What you can do is install the vanilla CFS3.1a and copy your old install over that.

priller

Members who have read this thread: 0