Windows 7 or 10

Thread: Windows 7 or 10

Hybrid View

Windows 7 or 10

Hi all,

I am beginning to suspect my PC may be getting towards the end of its life. Still stable for now and I'm keeping important stuff backed up, but I'm looking into possible replacements. My biggest hangup is not wanting to make the jump to windows 10. I infinitely prefer windows 7, but a new windows 7 pc is probably near impossible to find. So I need some assurance here - are there any remaining major hangups with windows 10 and cfs3? Do all the tools work, like MB, mos editor, gmax plugins, terrains sdk tools etc? I don't want loose any modding capability, and would consider any alternative if switching to 10 entails a loss of capability.

On a far less important note - are there any ways to make windows 10 less ugly? I really like the windows 7 glass look. By comparison windows 10 looks like crayons.

I hated switching but went with the free upgrade from win7 Pro to Win10 pro and got used to it. I've never had issues with any tools I have used and followed the advice here of putting in root directory making SP3 compatible, etc. Andy's probably the expert though.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

The biggest issue to start with is that Win 10 does not include the service that allows the program to activate the CD reader to check for a valid license if you don't have the DVD version. After that following the advice in the sticky section covers most of the issue you'll run into.

In my case, after the last computer upgrade that included Win 10 Pro, I no longer need to run in any sort of compatibility mode.

Having said that, what I hate the most about Win 10 is the once or twice a year major revision updates that uninstalls all of my programs. It physically leaves them there, but they are unregistered requiring reinstallation for them to run. After the first couple of times struggling through this, I made two pages of notes to use as a checklist on what I need to do to restore everything.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

If you never properly install it, but just transfer a working game folder over, will it still work? I've not used a CD to install anything CFS3 related in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    If you never properly install it, but just transfer a working game folder over, will it still work? I've not used a CD to install anything CFS3 related in a very long time.
    You have to have at least one install properly registered. After that MuitiCFS3 works just fine on the others.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Windows 10 can work with GMax, mos editors etc, I've had it work with everything CFS3-related I can think of. That said, like MajorMagee I've had one or two very frustrating experiences after microsoft-imposed updates. Win 10 in an extremely arrogant and high-handed and patronising manner assumes you to be incapable of deciding when and if you install a Windows update. So you just get lumbered with them. Period.

Now that hard disk space is so cheap, I am tempted to keep entire copies of all CFS3 installs just so I can wipe the C drive and reformat if a serious problem with the OS is encountered.

So does that mean I need a DVD copy to install the first time? I've only got the original CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I'm afraid that is a recipe for disaster in Windows 10. What you can do is install the vanilla CFS3.1a and copy your old install over that.

priller

But I can't install from my CDs apparently, so what's the workaround?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post

Having said that, what I hate the most about Win 10 is the once or twice a year major revision updates that uninstalls all of my programs. It physically leaves them there, but they are unregistered requiring reinstallation for them to run. After the first couple of times struggling through this, I made two pages of notes to use as a checklist on what I need to do to restore everything.
    Interesting! That hasn't happened to me ... so far! ( Win 10 since it was free for win 7 users)

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Members who have read this thread: 0