Some Phantom photos for your Friday!

Thread: Some Phantom photos for your Friday!

Some Phantom photos for your Friday!

Just saw this on Facebook, and wanted to share. They were posted by Fred Martin (just wanted to give him credit), on the Phantoms Phorever Facebook page:

Quote from Fred Martin's post: "June 1983 saw this deployment of 12 F-4Ds from the 121TFS 113TFW , District of Columbia ANG to this Yorkshire base . As part of the 'Checkered Flag Program' (whatever that was ?) and Coronet Shield , the deployment also coincided with the NATO exercise 'Central Enterprise. All my own images , shot on Kodachrome 64 with a dodgy 200mm lens !"

phantom3 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

phantom2 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

phantom by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Still the best lookin' Jet Fighter ever built. A wonderful era. Thank You for sharing those.

Phantastic Phantom Photos!

Thanks for the post. Brings back some memories, both good and bad
    Have Phun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thanks Chief, Happy 4th!

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1d75bf97f2aeb8a813648297346779ca.jpg  

USAF F-4C 63-7676 a two-time MiG killer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5796569.jpg  

Happy Fourth of July, right back at ya!

USAF F-4 Phantoms at Dan Nang Air Base, Vietnam, with mortar and rocket protections. 1969.
    Fuente: National Museum of the USAF

Phantoms at Da Nang by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Phantom Andrews by retnavycpo, on Flickr

839 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

on deck by retnavycpo, on Flickr

playboy by retnavycpo, on Flickr

vf-31 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

153059 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

British PHantoms by retnavycpo, on Flickr

captured by retnavycpo, on Flickr

vmfa 323 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Tracor by retnavycpo, on Flickr

hellenic by retnavycpo, on Flickr

indy by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Just viewing this on Saturday, but still..

That Phantoms Phoever plan view drawing with the US flag - is that on a t-shirt at all?

That picture of the Blue Angels brings back some wonderful memories!!!

Those were the Phirst Phantoms I ever saw. 1968 give or take, at Moffet Field. Airshow, and they flew the hangar. Came in phast, right over the crowd, and through THE hangar. The crowd went wild! No one could hear anything for a while after they went over, but everyone was yelling at the top of their lungs. Incredible display.
    Loud as heck, smokey, huge...Real crowd pleasers, indeed!

That was when I decided I would work on those things. Maybe fly them. About 12 years later, sure enough, I was!
    I was having some troubles with my parents, so I enlisted, rather than going to college so I could go officer to fly, but heck, I DID work on them my entire career. Well, a lot of it, anyway.

Thanks again for the great memories!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

The most beautiful Phantoms:

Priller

Silly me: Happy fourth of July guys!

And a belated happy Juneteenth!

Priller

Hold up, F-4 aboard the Essex Class Bon Homme Richard?

I suspect there's an interesting story here, anyone able to fill in the blanks?

edit:
    Happy treason day
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

36th TFW F-4E's, Bitburg AB, GE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4240247.jpg   photo_9999_308533.jpg  

XV408 ( on the left ) was my last Phantom

Ttfn

Pete

GET SOME!

Btw, I thought (incorrectly, I am told) that the door open above the "Marines" lettering was the RAT (Ram Air Turbine), but apparently it is the Chaff door.

Get some by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Here's a RAT...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F4RAT.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    GET SOME!

Btw, I thought (incorrectly, I am told) that the door open above the "Marines" lettering was the RAT (Ram Air Turbine), but apparently it is the Chaff door.

Yep,

AN/ALE29 Chaff Dispenser. On the F-8 Crusader, we'd tape (jury rig) aluminum strips to the landing gear struts.

More info:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...for-navy-f-4s/

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    GET SOME!

RAT is forward of that

Ttfn

Pete

Hey!
    Trip-Trey (VMFAT-333) was the last squadron I was with. Got there just before we took their, and I believe the last Phantom, det to Iwakuni. We went to Osan, Clark AFB shortly before Pinatubo buried it, and so on.
    Our barracks were right next to the open, over-run area at one end of the runway, and our maintenance vans were right next to the runway, nearby the barracks. Made for those of us day-sleepers a real noisy environment! The airplanes would taxi up to our end of the runway, and do their engine run-ups before take off. Then go full AB for take-off, as it wasn't the longest runway.
    Made for some interesting sleep times, believe me! Thankfully, the chow hall was right next door to the barracks. Two things a Marine needs to be happy: food and a bed. Nice if it's shared, like at Clark, but we'll take an empty one gladly!

Right after we got back to Beautiful Beaufort by-the-sea, they flew the Phantoms out, and went into training for the F-18's. I was out of a job, essentially.

Thankfully, an officer I knew, was in the same boat. He got a job as Personnel Manager at VMFAT-401 as they were just getting started. I had a job waiting for me when I got out. Actually, just before I got out. I did 2 months on Terminal Leave, drawing a paycheck from 401 AND the Corps. Kinda nice while it lasted Best part was, it was back at Yuma, which I knew intimately. Had a house, and my family was there.
    I am a Plank Holder with 401, too. Got a little plaque and everything

Anywho, great picture of a Trip-Trey bird! Thanks for posting it!
    Oh, BTW: if we were unhappy for some reason with the squadron, it became Trip-Trash

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

You had easy sleeping there, Pat! Try Sleeping through flight ops on board Saratoga when your quarters are next to the foc'sle and right under the end of the forward cats.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    You had easy sleeping there, Pat! Try Sleeping through flight ops on board Saratoga when your quarters are next to the foc'sle and right under the end of the forward cats.
    That's about where my birthing was on the Forrestal "FID". That was assigned as HS-3 15 man 1st class berthing. It always seemed like an imaginary "X" was painted on the FD directly above
    marking where the plane captain or blue shirts drop the tow bar. Being that far forward was kinda bouncy when in rough seas. During launches, we'd hear the cat shuttle and could feel it shudder
    the bulkhead. It was better location then those 40+ birthing areas.

Members who have read this thread: 0