Fixed the B-17G RoughMets

Thread: Fixed the B-17G RoughMets

Fixed the B-17G RoughMets

I fixed the B-17's faulty RoughMets last night. It's now airshow worthy. There is an issue with this model. It doesn't follow the standard way of doing RoughMets or Specs in DCS. It's a bug. But likely not to get fixed by ED with how long it takes them to do stuff. So now that I know how to do it, I will make some generic Green and Aluminum paints.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Further refinements

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

That metal really looks real! It's too bad it's only AI, as that has to be the most accurate looking external model of a B-17G ever done in virtual form. The windscreen section even looks right/proportioned properly.

Thanks John! I didn't want to fly that gorgeous P-47 next to strange looking B-17s after 5 mins of it!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Right now it's a little too Polished. But I'm just getting the metal work done to where I can simply tweak it down easily in my paint kit.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

In order for these textures to work you must delete the following file from your WWII Asset Pack <SHAPES> folder, found in <your main DCS folder name>\mods\tech\WWII\Shapes

B-17G.lods.json

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    In order for these textures to work you must delete the following file from your WWII Asset Pack <SHAPES> folder, found in <your main DCS folder name>\mods\tech\WWII\Shapes

B-17G.lods.json

hello 000rick000,
    can i remove the B-17G.lods.json now, or should i wait for your beautiful textures.
    What a pity that it is an AI because really of all the simulators I know it is the best-modeled B-17.
    And your textures allu are real.
    Regards
    Marty

You may remove the file anytime. The json file was a way to control PBR when it was first introduced in DCS and it's interfering with the use of the Spec files and or RoughMets. If you want to fix the default livery,

1. Delete the json file.
    2. Edit the Spec files for the exterior and invert the Green Channel.

That will "fix" the majority of the problems, but the rubber tires will still need a fix.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    You may remove the file anytime. The json file was a way to control PBR when it was first introduced in DCS and it's interfering with the use of the Spec files and or RoughMets. If you want to fix the default livery,

1. Delete the json file.
    2. Edit the Spec files for the exterior and invert the Green Channel.

That will "fix" the majority of the problems, but the rubber tires will still need a fix.
    if I reverse the texture B-17G_Fuzelage_1_S it will no longer correspond with the texture B-17G_Fuzelage_1-D and B-17G_Fuzelage_1_N.
    Is this what to do for all other Exterior texture?

Quote Originally Posted by ferondoe View Post
    if I reverse the texture B-17G_Fuzelage_1_S it will no longer correspond with the texture B-17G_Fuzelage_1-D and B-17G_Fuzelage_1_N.
    Is this what to do for all other Exterior texture?
    Ferondoe, in order to make this work you need to do the following:

Either Edit the CORE files in the B-17G.ZIP folder (after you back them up. You can always just delete the whole zip and run a REPAIR DCS from start menu to fix anything and and start fresh).

OR

1. Create a Folder called <B-17G> in your <YOUR DCS INSTALL FOLDER>...\Bazzar\Liveries\B-17G\<CREATE A TEST FOLDER NAME>

2. Create a description.lua file from Model viewer for the B17GLOD0.LOD model.

3. Place this file into the folder you created above.

4. Edit the file and where the SPECULAR files are called out for the external FUSELAGE and WINGs (x4 Lines) change it from "true" to "false" at the end of the code.

5. OPEN>only the files with suffix "_S.dds" in your paint editor and select the RGB Channel view. Select and INVERT Green channel ONLY.

6. Save.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I redid the default paint scheme without the nose art for a more generic look with many bombers not all being "the same". A test run for painted parts. This isn't just an inversion of the Green layer. it's a full redo using the paint kit. I've color enhanced the base metal for a better quality aluminum look. I've also hand created the SPEC/RouguhMet file from scratch and adjusted each channel in the SPEC file manually. Of Note, I have SSLR enabled, so you can see the reflection of the aircraft in itself! So amazing!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Looks beautiful, Rick! Great work!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Those look like actual Photographs.... Really Beautiful!

Thanks guys. I'm working on adding scratches to the exterior aluminum now. And some more global dirt.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

A few more WIP shots. Will release a couple at a time.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0