Rivers and Streams too deep

Thread: Rivers and Streams too deep

SOH-CM-2023

Rivers and Streams too deep

All my river and streams look like they are in unrealistic canyons like they are 4 meters down from the surrounding terrain. Is there a way to adjust this? Is this a product of UT (I have it installed)?

Thanks,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    All my river and streams look like they are in unrealistic canyons like they are 4 meters down from the surrounding terrain. Is there a way to adjust this? Is this a product of UT (I have it installed)?

Thanks,
    Sean
    IIRC you can add / edit a line in the Fs9 Terrain.cfg file to make them less like canyons....

Found it :

In the Terrain.cfg file ; which resides in your main fs9 folder, the first two sections each contain a line that says
    Offset = (and then a number, by default this is set to -10)

Change the Offset = to -3 / -4 or if you have UT try 0 or -1
    in both sections, so the line now reads ( for example)

Offset=-3

Use a bit of trial and error, and don't set a positive number or your rivers will end up looking like levees ( or dykes if you're this side of the pond .... as in raised above level of surrounding terrain ... not females with dodgy dress-sense )

Ttfn

Pete

Thank you Pete, that last paragraph creased me.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    IIRC you can add / edit a line in the Fs9 Terrain.cfg file to make them less like canyons....

Found it :

In the Terrain.cfg file ; which resides in your main fs9 folder, the first two sections each contain a line that says
    Offset = (and then a number, by default this is set to -10)

Change the Offset = to -3 / -4 or if you have UT try 0 or -1
    in both sections, so the line now reads ( for example)

Offset=-3

Use a bit of trial and error, and don't set a positive number or your rivers will end up looking like levees ( or dykes if you're this side of the pond .... as in raised above level of surrounding terrain ... not females with dodgy dress-sense )

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks Pete. I appear to have made the streams look less like the grand canyon in central Ohio and beyond. Now if I get them to not be a bright shade of neon blue I will think I have nailed it. You killed me with the dodgy dress sense. Reminded me of an old Robin Williams bit about women in comfortable shoes

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    Thanks Pete. I appear to have made the streams look less like the grand canyon in central Ohio and beyond. Now if I get them to not be a bright shade of neon blue I will think I have nailed it. You killed me with the dodgy dress sense. Reminded me of an old Robin Williams bit about women in comfortable shoes

Sean

Bill Lyons did a set of more realistic river / streams textures , for both his Golden Wings and Silver Wings packages. You should be able to find them at Flightsim.com iirc or look for file aawater2.zip
    By Adnan Arif, also at flightsim.com

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0