Crash vs. Forced Landing

Thread: Crash vs. Forced Landing

Crash vs. Forced Landing

(Referencing ETO Expansion); The other night, I practiced a forced landing in a Blenheim IV (mixtures to idle cutoff). I got down fine, and rolled to a stop with no damage. Nonetheless, the cut screen had the pilot running like hell and the aircraft blowing up. Question: is an off-field landing counted as a crash landing, regardless of the actual result? If so, is there a workaround?

Interested in the answer to this, too as even a decent wheels up forced landing seems to end in the A/C blowing up. There seem to be to be variations in the animation that kicks in, there being several 'crashed' files in the animations folder, but the only results supported seem to be bailed, ditched, crashed and landed - no force landed (if the filenames are anything to go by). Although the briefing text file suggests a wider range of outcomes is supported, including 'PlayerCrashLanded' as well as 'PlayerCrashed'.

The mission result shows no sign of tracking the loss of the player's A/C so I wonder if it would be possible to rename one or more of the 'landed' animations to replace one or more of the 'crashed' ones. But if the sim doesn't distinguish between a serious crash and a forced landing, that mighn't be very realistic as a representation of what 'really' happened. on the other hand getting a 'walk, run or limp away from an explosion' at random half the time, and whatever you see when you 'just land' the rest of the time, might be better than getting the former all the time.

That’s because CFS3 is a combat flight sim: we only know success or survival (sometimes they’re the same). Other sims might let you walk away from a forced landing but CFS3 has damage modelling only designed for being shot at.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

That's what I was suspecting; the damage modelling.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Well, since *all* flight simming, combat or otherwise, is about suspension of disbelief to a degree, as long as *I* know I made a successful landing, I suppose I will just ignore what the sim *thinks* I did LOL. Thanks for the replies!

SOH-CM-2020
    I still get a mild surprise when, having only taken on board a few bullet holes, the aircraft is still rolling to a stop and my pilot leaps out and runs away!

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    I still get a mild surprise when, having only taken on board a few bullet holes, the aircraft is still rolling to a stop and my pilot leaps out and runs away!
    And then it blows up Hollywood style, always hated that!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    And then it blows up Hollywood style, always hated that!
    Well, given what works of art your skins are these days, I can understand why

Members who have read this thread: 0