Warbirdsim P-51 Appreciation + new repaints in libary
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warbirdsim P-51 Appreciation + new repaints in libary

Warbirdsim P-51 Appreciation + new repaints in library

Giving this somewhat older model some attention- a really nice addon! The exterior is the best representation of a P-51 in FSX, in my opinion.
    Great FDE, customisation and features- I have replaced the sound in my installation however, with that of A2A's accusim P-51 as it does sound just that bit 'clearer'. Plus- adding the cockpit sound 'clicks' from the cockpitsoundsv2 download file helps to bring this addon alive!

So- I am currently uploading some new paints for the "Restored Part 2" add-on, as shown below, to the SOH library.

They represent the 3 aircraft used in the filming of the 1989 film, Empire Of The Sun.

N51JJ, G-HAEC & G-PSID.

Commonwealth CA-18 Mk.22, construction no. 1517, serial no. A68-192, registered G-HAEC, show here in 1987 livery for filming "Empire Of The Sun". At the time was owned and operated by the 'Old Flying Machine Company', based at Duxford, Cambs, UK.

North American Aviation P-51D-20NA, N6171C, serial no. 44-63788, registered G-PSID, show here in 1987 livery for filming "Empire Of The Sun". At the time was owned and operated by 'The Fighter Collection', based at Duxford, Cambs, UK.

North American Aviation P-51D-25NA, serial no. 44-73149, registered N51JJ, show here in 1987 livery for filming "Empire Of The Sun". At the time was owned and operated by 'The Fighter Collection', based at Duxford, Cambs, UK.

Yeah, these warbirdsim P-51's are my favourites! Got the P-51 B/C's and the mustang tales versions. They are so good that they kept me from buying the A2A P-51.
    Now that says enough

And... thanks for the repaints by the way

No problem!
    Hope they're enjoyed. When I've the time, I'm planning to create a serious of warbird repaints "from the movies", of which this can be the first set. I'm planning to continue with the mustangs from "Memphis Belle" next up.

The warbirdsim P-51 is indeed a gem, in all it's forms. In this download I've adjusted the prop textures to that of the P-51B/C model as it's a personal preference- though if others dislike it, simply delete the files "prop" and prop_2" in the texture folders. As I say, the sound for this model is good, but can be a little 'tinny' and 'echo-y' so I've used the A2A's P-51 sounds. The A2A model's engine and systems with accusim are awesome, so it's worth it just for that!
    But I personally prefer the warbirdsim just for it's skins and 'crisper' flight handling.

Is there a reason that these would not work in the "Mustang Tales" models? Your work is very nice and much appreciated by all.

Oh it should work with all of them!
    You may need to do a little editing of the file names if they're different in the 'Mustang Tales' version- I don't have that add-on, so not sure! Give it a try, let us know if there's any issues and I may be able to re-edit the skins for use with that model if required.

(Also the paints shown in my first screenshots at the top of the page are by user Bomber12th, and are great!)

Many thanks!

No joy with installing your beautiful paints on Mustang Tales birds. I tried also changing some config entries to trick the program into thinking these were intended for the "Mustang Tales". Warbirdsim might be protecting the property here. I still run that "Empire of the Sun" sequence every so often just to hear the kid yell "P-51---Cadillac of the skies!".

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    No joy with installing your beautiful paints on Mustang Tales birds. I tried also changing some config entries to trick the program into thinking these were intended for the "Mustang Tales". Warbirdsim might be protecting the property here. I still run that "Empire of the Sun" sequence every so often just to hear the kid yell "P-51---Cadillac of the skies!".
    That’s odd, as I’ve previously modded repaints for ‘Mustang Tales’ for the ‘restored’ add-on! What actually displays in the model, when you load the paints in FSX? Double check that all the DDS file names are the same as the ‘mustang tales’ entries(change them to match if they’re not) and instead of using the ‘aircraft.cfg‘ text entries I’ve provided in the ‘readme‘ notepad file- try copy and pasting one of the existing entries that’s already your ‘mustang tales’ aircraft.cfg. Then, like when adding a repaint, just change the title to the next number in order and the texture entry to one my paints?

does that make sense, or have I totally confused everyone?! 🤣 Worth a try...

If you are using the Mustang tales Geraldine_stock model to use these paints, you need to change the sim and model lines in the cfg.

sim = P-51D >>> sim = F-51D_Fillet
    model = RAAF >>> model = Geraldine

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Hi avi8tor4321, Very nice repaints! I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but Bomber_12 created all of the Warbirdsim mustangs.

Bob
    Greenhouse357

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I haven't tried to install your repaints as yet but this is what I am seeing with with the original Warbirdsim planes in P3D V5 with HF2 installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-6-26_15-41-54-623.jpg   2020-6-26_15-42-15-330.jpg   2020-6-26_15-42-40-403.jpg  

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Hi Pat,

Thanks for posting those screenshots from P3D, the reflections on the side of the fuselage are odd (graphic add-on error?) , but everything else looks right. After you look at real photos of “cripes a mighty”, it appears the white and red stripes on the trim tabs are genuine! Don’t know why, but the real aircraft has these markings 🤷*♂️
    The real aircraft’s wings were painted in that matte grey finish as well, as this was to reduce sun glare from the pilot’s perspective, from what I can tell. Could be wrong, but would make sense! If you look at photos of restored, polished P-51’s (and other types) , they often have a duller finish on the top of the wings. 👍
    Didnt know Bomber12th had made the model too- awesome job as it’s superb. And, considering it’s age holds up well compared to other developers recent releases.

Got the skins to show but I'm left with a plane that has no gauges and black canopy glass. I think more changes than mentioned above are needed to use other Warbirdsim versions of the P-51D. Bomber's repaints always mention the compatible versions specifically. No worries if this doesn't work out. If you want to see the real "Tug Boat" P-51 in action, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw05s5hjUiU

Hi downwind,
    This should be a fairly straightforward fix too. If you go to your ‘Mustang Tales’ P 51 Simobjects folder, go into one of the already installed default texture folders (eg Geraldine etc) then copy and paste all of the cockpit textures that are in it, into one of the new repaint’s texture folders. Just overwrite any conflicts- basically the only real files you need to keep in my repaints texture folder, is the ‘P-51_1_T through to P-51_3_T” including the ‘spec’ and “bump” files. Things such as the ‘interior’ and ‘gauges’ etc are superfluous as they are specific to the “restored part 2” product. Make sure the ‘texture.cfg’ file inside my repaints is also overwritten with the one from a “Mustang Tales” paint!
    Good luck.
    Feel free to post or PM me any screenshots that could help with the installation.

Thanks, I'll work on that. I'm learning a lot from this!

I always love your repaints, Avi8tor!

With regard to "Cripes A' Mighty", the red/white barber pole markings all over the aircraft were added by Preddy's crew chief, Art "Snoots" Snyder, who ran a side barbershop business on the airfield. He charge 1/3 pence for each haircut, as written by the barber pole artwork he added on the right cowl. He applied similar markings on a couple other Mustangs he crew chiefed - "Snort's Sniper" and "Chub A Luk".

Although no photos are known to exist showing the original "Cripes A' Mighty" with all of the barber pole markings, photos of the similarly-marked "Chub A Luk" and information provided by Art Snyder guided how the award-winning restored P-51D "Cripes A' Mighty" (N151BW) was painted, and is regarded as authentic (and what I copied). http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51...erial/44-74813

With regard to the dull silver painted wings - North American Aviation, in order to try and achieve true laminar flow with the Mustang wings, they filled all of the panel lines, rivets and screws over the leading 40% of the wing. When camouflage paint was done away from the factory at the start of 1944, this filler application still needed a coat of paint to cover it, so the wings were painted dull silver so as to match the bare metal fuselage. Today, the most authentically-restored Mustangs have the wings painted silver (a few even filled as per original) because it is accurate to the originals, while others often have them painted silver today just because it is that much less surface area to have to polish (some even have the horizontal tail surfaces painted silver for that same reason).

Pat, with regard to how the bare metal is looking in P3D, you have to turn "dynamic reflections" off. With regard to the shadow of inner cockpit parts showing through under certain lighting conditions, it's a common issue with many FSX models in P3D (and possibly even some P3D-native models).

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Thanks for the information John.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Thank you most kindly for compliments and information, bomber12th!
    Very interesting- it would seem you have a wealth of knowledge on the P-51!
    Hope you're enjoying the paints- I also have another I've been fiddling with heading up to the library now.

Also for the "Restored Part 2" add-on, but as discussed should work for the others with some minor tweaking.

Just working on another at the moment, P-51D "Lady Alice". In the latter stages, will upload once completed.

Getting there!....

(North American Aviation P-51D-30NT, serial no. 45-11633, registered N151MW, operated as "Lady Alice", based at Chino, CA, USA.)

Nice paints, avi8tor4321!
    Greenhouse357

seeing avi8tor's very nice paint reminded I did one very similar recently as well, which should be in the library here, #44-13586 C5-T "Hurry Home Honey", flown by Major Richard Peterson of the 364th FS / 357th FG. This was the second of three aircraft flown by him, all carrying the same name. I have pictured it in the 'half' paintjob used in June 1944.:

2020-5-26_18-46-37-760

2020-5-26_18-49-57-905
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

It just occurred to me that I owe a debt of gratitude to several contributors to this thread. At last I was able to covert the textures discussed to use in the "Mustang Tales" version of the Warbirdsim P-51's. I needed to make all of the suggested config file changes to get it right. Several of you made suggestions and I could not have done it without each of you taking the time to respond. Much appreciated, and thanks also to the painters for their spectacular work.

Nice! How about Berlin Express?

Members who have read this thread: 11