Warbirdsim P-51 Appreciation + new repaints in libary - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warbirdsim P-51 Appreciation + new repaints in libary

I bought Mustang Tales many years ago and was happy to see it still flies and looks great under P3D V5; spent some time last night landing the tailhook-equipped P-51 on an aircraft carrier in VR.

I'd like to pick up the package with the P-51B and C models, but not sure about making sure I'm picking up the latest version, so hoping @Bomber_12th can help here. The Warbirdsim web site no longer has working direct purchase (my usual choice, since all the revenue goes to devs). I can find the following packages:

Just Flight - Warbirdsim P-51 Flight Leader - $38.99
    (Just Flight is usually my go-to for purchases along with SimMarket nowadays, due to excellent support of updates)

SimShack -- P-51 Flight Leader - $32.99
    (Never bought from these guys, but it's $6 cheaper here!)

FSX-Download/Surclaro - FSX Mustang P51 B C & III - €25.59
    (Best price but can't seem to add it to the cart, plus why is the product name wrong?)

Bomber_12th, is Warbirdsim's "native" store down permanently? If so, looks like SimShack is the way to go. I'm assuming, given how well the Mustang Tales package works under P3D V5, that the B/C package will work equivalently well?

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I have tried to add the P-51B to P3D V5 to so far have had no luck.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Pat,
    I just the copied the whole package from the previous P3Dv4 install straight into v5.
    Works for me, the alloy panels show up as dull but that would be the 'PBR effect'.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I'll give that a try.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and downloads- it's fun doing the occasional repaint and very rewarding when people are downloading them!

No troubles downwind, it's a pleasure trying to help out to the best of one's ability. I know it can be daunting fiddling about with cfg files, and moving paint textures about when you're not too sure how it's all working!
    Learning a lot from this thread, keep the info coming!

Has made me want to crack on with some more repaints of the P-51; which brings me to your question, Fishbed- yes funny you should mention that aircraft, as it's been the next project.
    A really old model (but a fine one) that's still going in FSX/ P3D by the looks of things is the P-51B/C model. So I thought I'd thought I'd give my representation of a paintjob I've always really liked.
    It's still a late WIP with a few more tweaks, but should be up online with it's hangar mates before too long!

P-51B-1-NA Mustang, serial number 43-24837, registered N515ZB, owned and operated by Comanche Fighters, based at Comanche Range, TX.

Very nice repaint, Thanks!I remember seeing it at Duxford Flying Legends a few years back (albeit with the canopy covered over).A shame that they flew it all the way across from the US to appear at the airshow and then had the canopy shatter on the first pass and it be out of action for the rest of the weekendI shall definitely be downloading this repaint once it's ready (as I have with all the others you've done)

Fantastic job on the repaint of Berlin Express!

Comanche Ranch in Texas is where most of the Comanche Fighters/Dan Friedkin airforce are based, but some of his aircraft are based in England too, like three of his six Spitfires. Berlin Express has actually been "abroad" ever since it flew across the Atlantic in 2017 and has not been back to the US yet. It had the canopy explosion at Flying Legends in 2017 and it remained at Duxford until the tail repairs and replacement canopy bubble arrived back from the US. It had a post-repair test flight at Duxford in 2018, but the replacement canopy bubble started cracking. They ended up making a thicker glass Malcolm bubble and it has solved the problem. Last summer, Berlin Express and one of Dan Friedkin's other Mustangs, Hun Hunter~Texas, were both flown from Duxford to Switzerland for film work for the P-51 documentary set for release later this year, called "American Warhorse". Berlin Express and Hun Hunter~Texas finally just returned back to Duxford again early last week, accompanied by the owner's Gulfstream jet: https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1c&oe=5F34262E

Thanks JamieC and Bomber_12th!

Made a few minor changes and it's on it's up to the library now. It's not perfect but it'll do for the moment- I may do a re-upload at some stage.

Interesting stuff about the aircraft and it's canopy, I'd not heard that before! Also just watrched the trailer for the "American Warhorse" documentary- looks awesome!

I thought it stayed at Duxford but wasn't sure...thanks for the info. I saw Hun Hunter/Texas at Duxford a few years back in a Heritage flight with an F35 and Spitfire Mk V (Also owned by Dan Friedkin I think). Didn't know about the documentary either so will have to check it out.

I photographed 'Berlin Express' at Duxford in 2017, just before it took off and the canopy blew. I also have a photo of it when it taxied in minus said canopy. I was really looking forward to seeing a P-51B being put through its paces as well...! But luckily no-one was hurt.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Members who have read this thread: 12