A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 3 British Aircraft

Description: Twenty one Havoc I (Night Fighters) were later converted into Havoc I (Turbinlites). This concept, developed by Wing Commander W. Helmore, saw all of the guns removed and replaced with a new nose containing a powerful Helmore/ GEC searchlight. The idea was that the Turbinlite and radar equipped aircraft would guide a pair of fighter aircraft onto a German intruder, allowing it to be shot down. Eventually ten squadrons were equipped with Turbinlite Havocs and Bostons, but they failed to achieve any real success.

Numerically the largest group of squadrons to operate the Havoc were the ten Turbinlite squadrons that had a brief existence from September 1942 to January 1943, when the entire idea was abandoned. The Turbinlite was a massive spotlight that was installed in the nose of a Havoc or Boston. A total of 21 Havoc I (Turbinlites), 39 Havoc II (Turbinlites) and at least three Boston III (Turbinlites) were produced.

The idea was that the Havoc would use its radar to find a German aircraft, then catch it in the spotlight and let a normal day fighter attack it. At first the Havocs operated in Turbinlite flights, starting with No.1422 Flight (Air Illumination Unit) working alongside Hurricane squadrons, but the two aircraft rarely met up, and so in September 1942 ten Turbinlite squadrons were formed, operating a mix of Havocs, Bostons and Hurricanes. This improved the cooperation between the two types of aircraft, but successes were still rare. As better radar equipped night fighters began to appear the Turbinlite concept was abandoned, and all ten squadrons were disbanded early in 1943.

Package has both the Havoc I and II versions of the Turbinlite planes. You must have ETO effects and the eto_leighlight weapons and guns installed for this to work. The light was included with the Halifax and Liberator Coastal Command Planes.

Credits the same as the other Havocs.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Havoc Turbinlights
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.