Nauru & Ocean Islands scenery by UncleTgt!

Thread: Nauru & Ocean Islands scenery by UncleTgt!

Icon22 Nauru & Ocean Islands scenery by UncleTgt!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: Nauru + Ocean Island Scenery for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a reworking of the stock scenery for Nauru & Ocean Island. It is designed for use with Rhumba's mesh, but the scenery excludes provided should mean this works well in a stock mesh install too.

Contents: New Ground2K scenery for each, including fringing reefs.

New airbase scenery, made using FSSC.

New gsl infrastructure.

New custom Landclass & Waterclass.

Some simple missions using the stock F4U-1A Corsair for viewing the gsl airbases & scenery

Notes: I only provided an airbase for Nauru Island, as I was unable to find any reference to any air facility on Ocean Island (now called Banaba Island) at all. I think MS may have made this one up. I have included an exclude just to get rid of the stock airbase reference.

Banaba Island had to be re-positioned to match the mesh. This moved the GSL into a different gob area, & since Martin Wright didn't provide an easy way of making the original gsl gob completely empty, I had to create a fake gsl for this gob area containing a single object. As this area is entirely ocean, Stuart 277's lifeboat came to the rescue (LOL). Using his GMax files for his upturned 27' Lifeboat as a starting point, I removed the survivors in the water & re-positioned it slightly to look like a long-abandoned, overturned lifeboat. I saved this as a scenery .bgl so it won't impact on your Ships total. Apart from a bit of work I did creating the .bgl, this is all Stuart 277's work.

Installing this scenery pack: The G2K scenery included in this package requires copying contents of your scenedb/world/texture folder to your main CFS2 texture folder. (see SECTION A: TEXTURE PREPARATION)

SECTION A: TEXTURE PREPARATION

1. Highlight all files in your SCENDEB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder.

2. Copy and paste them to your main CFS2/TEXTURE folder.

3. If asked to overwrite click “no.”

4. Hi-lite all files in the Nauru_Ocean_UT/TEXTURE folder.

5. Copy and paste them to your main CFS2/TEXTURE folder.

6. If asked to overwrite click “no.”

7. Highlight all files in the Nauru_Ocean_UT/SCENDEB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder.

8. Copy and paste them to your your CFS2/SCENDEB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder.

9. If asked to overwrite click “no.”

SECTION B: ADDING NEW SCENERY & GSL

12. Drop the folder "Nauru_Ocean_UT"into your main CFS2 folder, or wherever you pull your add-on scenery from.

13. Next, drop the content of the .gsl folder along with GSLMan.exe into your CFS2/GSL folder. If asked to over write click “Yes.”

14. Make a back-up copy of your current cfs2.gsl file. Its OK to leave it in the GSL folder- just rename it.

15. Open GSLMan.exe from inside your CFS2/GSL folder.

16. From the "Available Custom Gobs" list hi-light nauru_ocean_UT.gsl Click the "ADD" button.

17. Wait until GSLMan.exe says it's thru then…

18. Close GSLMan.

SECTION C: ACTIVATING & ARRANGING THE NEW SCENERY IN CFS 2

19. Activate the "Nauru_Ocean_UT" scenery. This can be quite high in the listing, way above any mesh, watermasks or exclude layers, BUT CERTAINLY ABOVE any Excludes layers. I put my G2K sceneries below the "Airport Facilities Data" layer.

The scenery is installed.

NOTE: To make the runways available in MB enter the runway entries listed in the Marshalls_UT/airbase_entries.txt file into your airbases.dat file which can be found in your CFS2/INFO folder. Be sure to back up your current airbases.dat file first.

Credits

Thanks to:
    Jean Bomber for his inspiration, advice & support. He talked me through getting to grips with G2K & more…

Maskrider for all his airbase packages & the blended airbase tutorial. This set the standard for airbase sceneries for the game.

Rhumbaflappy for the new more accurate world mesh – it was a desire to make best use of this development that is the driver for many of my scenery projects. He also developed the vtp1 fixer programme to fix display errors in vtp bgls compiled from Ground2K. I also used one of his 2019 VTP mask excludes to get rid of the default coastlines across this area as my usual method of using Exclude8 to generate bgls kept causing CTD when loaded.

GavinC for his reworking of the stock airbases, making individual base reworking/ revision much easier.

Shessi for his water textures, that were the inspiration for my reworking of Jimkos Pacific Blues, & indirectly lead me to develop this latest set of water textures.

Lindsay Watt for all of his scenery objects & innovations.

Wolfi for his scenery objects.

Xavier for all his scenery objects & airbase sceneries, opening up a larger world for us all to fly in
    Martin Wright for all the various software tools that are so useful!

Russell Dirks for his EZ landclass programme, making large scale land/ water class adjustments possible.

Christian Fumey for his excl8 & Ground2K programmes, making the creation of completely new scenery possible for CFS2.

Stuart 277 for all his many ship models, in this case specifically his 27' Lifeboat which was the source for the "abandoned_lifeboat" object used to overwrite the empty ocean gob where the stock gsl scenery was for Ocean Island.

UncleTgt,

JUN 2020

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Nauru & Ocean Islands UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Great looking scenery. Thanks UT! A lovely piece of work

Same with this one. When do you find time to sleep?

Thanks a million sir!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

That's a very innovative solution.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt,

Many thanks for this, I will be happy to install this once I return home next week. Great work!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0