Weather!

Thread: Weather!

Icon2 Weather!

Incredible!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away,
    A company called Microsoft wanted weather data for their simulator
    So they went and formed an alliance with a reputable, respected company to provide the data
    To be delivered directly to the simulator via the internet.

So how's your Jeppesen weather working today?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Nice!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    So they went and formed an alliance with a reputable, respected company to provide the data

Yep, the contract with Jeppesen expired and with MicroSoft, at the time, having no further interest in flight sims, failed to renew the contract. That left FSX users with the built-in real world weather without a built-in real world weather option. It will take some years to see if MS repeats the same thing.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

This to MeteoBlue is a weather simulator for future commercial uses, not just graphs or satellite images. Much more than a flight simulator.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    This to MeteoBlue is a weather simulator for future commercial uses, not just graphs or satellite images. Much more than a flight simulator.
    It is definitely a win-win for both MS/ASOBO and Meteoblue. As the spokesman said, this is the first time they have actually "seen" their world-wide weather in a 3d visual format and not just charts, graphs and such.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post

It was Jeppesen who walked away (slithered out of their MS commitments when they came to an end) when they started creating more than just paper charts.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    It was Jeppesen who walked away (slithered out of their MS commitments when they came to an end) when they started creating more than just paper charts.
    I was under the impression that MS simply did not want to renew the contract, thank you for setting the record straight.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I was under the impression that MS simply did not want to renew the contract, thank you for setting the record straight.
    A few things happened at the same time; the MS contract was up for renewal, Jeppesen wanted to take back control of their data distribution to consolidate their future plans to become much more than chart distribution (which they most certainly have these days) and MS seized on the fact that they had stopped supporting FSX.
    Not sure what order it all exactly happened in but the upshot was we lost our Realtime Weather.

What happened in the sim after it stopped, if you did click Realtime Weather - usually you got the message; "Unable to download realtime weather" but occasionally what you got was entirely random conditions. Could be anything; CAVOK with wind calm or full hurricane with 120mph winds.

It was like that weather option became the; "Surprise me" button.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    What happened in the sim after it stopped, if you did click Realtime Weather - usually you got the message; "Unable to download realtime weather" but occasionally what you got was entirely random conditions. Could be anything; CAVOK with wind calm or full hurricane with 120mph winds.

It was like that weather option became the; "Surprise me" button.
    Yes, it certainly has become the "Surprise me" button. LOL!

Members who have read this thread: 0