Formula One icon Michael Schumacher is set to undergo stem cell surgery in a bid to regenerate his nervous system after his skiing accident in 2013.
Since the accident, Schumacher's physical condition has been shrouded in mystery, with those around him closely guarding any intimate details.
According to Italian media reports, the seven-time Formula One World Champion is set to undergo the procedure in the coming days, with the operation to be performed by French professor and cardiologist Dr Philippe Menasche.
Dr Menasche is understood to have operated on Schumacher previously, undertaking a procedure last September.
Schumacher, now 51 years old, will have damaged cells replaced with healthy cells harvested from bone marrow or blood.
Dr Menasche has previously slammed reports that he is using "experimental" treatment on the Formula One icon.
"I do not perform miracles. My team and I are not doing an experiment — an abominable term that is not in line with a serious medical view," Dr Menasche told Italian newspaper La Republica last year.
While details of Schumacher's health have been scant since his crash in the popular resort of Meribel in the French Alps, former Ferrari manager Jean Todt revealed last year that the German was making "good progress" and could watch F1 races on TV.
However, despite Todt's positive news on Schumacher, his doctor revealed that the F1 great still had some distance to go with his treatment.
"There is a one-to-three year plan for the regeneration period," Jean-Francois Payen told German publication In Touch last year.
"I still visit him occasionally and talk to the family about any progress I see."
Payen was the first to report Schumacher came out of his coma five years ago and paid tribute to his wife's strength.
"She sees things very clearly and will do anything to make her husband's condition better."

'Dr Menasche', surgeon to the extremely wealthy????