A Flock OF Warbirds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Flock OF Warbirds

A Flock OF Warbirds

I was previously aware of one P-51 and one DC-3 stored in a particular hangar at McClellan Air Park (former AFB) in Sacramento, CA. As I drove past this hangar last Sunday I immediately noticed the Mustang and Corsair parked outside. As I scanned past the Corsair I was STUNNED to see a Mosquito!

The owner graciously allowed me and my brother in to take pictures!

Mosquito is a MkVI recently acquired from a 'private collector' in Texas. I didn't know there were any Mossies in the USA!

It was mentioned that a P-40 and a Spitfire (models unknown) are soon on the way as well!

Wow, nice shots, thanks!

SOH-CM-2020
    Drooool!

The Mosquito had just arrived from Texas and other than some minor exhaust blemishes it was very clean. All aircraft appear to be extremely well taken care of as every one of them was immaculate/pristine right down to the Mossies' bomb bay and the Corsair's wing folds (no fuel/oil spots anywhere). I tried to be as brief as possible as they were putting them all in the hangar so, no interior shots. Civilian aircraft were also being marshaled behind me (Mosquito's front) so I couldn't step back very far.

Blog Entries
    Wow you lucky chap Barry! Thanks for sharing!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Wow, I bet you were like a kid at Christmas having that opportunity, I know I would be.

Some really good photos there and especially the Mosquito.

If it is ok with you would I be ok using these as part of my reference material through the Mosquito project?

Kind regards,

Dave

There is another Mosquito in the US, at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach. I visited it back in 2017. She's pictured here in front of a WW2 control tower that they brought over from the UK brick by brick!

Cool

So nice to see so many of them around, just be nice to see one flying in the UK.

Thank you for the shares guys.

Dave

Could be wrong, but the Mossie could be the one that was recently restored at Ardmore in New Zealand?

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-...z474-has-flown

Ttfn

Pete

I assume no chance of interiors?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I assume no chance of interiors?

I agree. If there is any chance of interior photos and maybe a couple of cheeky measurements please let me know.

Kind regards,

Dave

The owner is Charles Somers, who has owned the P-51D "Daddy's Girl" (N20MS) since 2004, restored by Midwest Aero (the one pictured with the cowlings removed). Last year he acquired the FG-1D Corsair Buno. 92436 (N72NW) that was restored by Airpower Unlimited and was previously owned/operated by the Olympic Flight Museum. He also owns the Spitfire Mk.XVI TB252 undergoing restoration to fly at Avspecs in New Zealand, very near completion at this time.

The Mosquito PZ474 (N474PZ), restored by Avspecs, P-51D "Live Bait" (N551JV), restored by Midwest Aero, and P-40C (N295RL), restored by Avspecs, were all recently acquired by Charles Somers from the collection of Rod Lewis/Lewis Air Legends, based in Texas. On its way to California, the Mosquito made stops at Tucson, Arizona (June 5th) and at Chino, California (June 6th), before flying up to Sacramento.

There are currently 4 Mosquitoes flyable in the world, all based in North America. Mosquito KA114 (N114KA), restored by Avspecs, is based/operated in Virginia, owned by Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum. Mosquito TV959 (N959TV), restored by Avspecs, is based/operated in Washington state, owned by the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum (which recently closed, so may end up for sale at some point soon). Mosquito PZ474 (N474PZ), the subject of this thread, restored by Avspecs, had been owned by Rod Lewis in Texas but has now been sold to Charles Somers in California. Mosquito VR796 (CF-HML), restored by Victoria Air Maintenance, is based in Vancouver, British Columbia, owned by Bob Jens (last flown in 2014/2015).
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

wow, thanks for sharing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Gorgeous pics, especially the outdoor shots - thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks guys. I still have a few butterflies in my stomach sitting here and looking at the pictures. It all seems like a dream.

@Dave(Dangerous)Boynton: Absolutely! PM me with what you need and I'll try to oblige.

@Bomber_12th: Thank you for the info! I am shocked that there aren't any Mossies flying in the UK. After watching 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron all of these years I was convinced that a handful had survived and remained in the UK if not Europe. Only four left and in North America, WOW.

The chance encounter was somewhat rushed as they were putting everything away. Here is the remainder of what I have. I intend to go back (I try to go by McClellan and Mather every week) and see about taking more pictures. On such occasions, I don't usually approach unless the hangar door is open. Hopefully, the owner (Mr. Somers) will allow me back in. If so, I will do my best to get some shots of the cockpit.

There was one Mosquito flying in the UK, but sadly it crashed at an airshow quite a few years ago now (1996) killing both aircrew. It crashed very close to where I work!
    Here's a link to the details https://assets.publishing.service.go...pdf_501355.pdf
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

I saw the mosquito doing the same display at RAF Duxford some time before the crash.

I also saw the Blenheim do a private display at RAF Wyton for the RAF Pathfinder reunion weekend which I attended with my Father. That Blenheim was to crash a few months later as well.

Fascinating reading, John; they really leave no stone unturned investigating a crash.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Yea Tom, it's all there isn't it.
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Sad loss of a great plane and pilots because it's wasn't maintained properly.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 2