A warbird (almost) in the neighborhood.

Thread: A warbird (almost) in the neighborhood.

A warbird (almost) in the neighborhood.

I was very excited today to discover that a P-51 D in excellent flying condition is based at an airport about six miles from my home, in Indiana. This plane passed over my house yesterday, at a decent pace, at what I would guess as 4000 ft. After doing some Google searching, it appears that the owner also has a restored and flyable F-86. There is also a bi-plane that I see frequently over my area. That could belong to the same individual who, fortunately for him, runs an aircraft servicing business in Indianapolis.I am wondering if someone here could do a repaint of this Mustang? I have the Mustang Tales P-51D from Warbirdsim. I will search for some paint scheme references. There is a video of the plane in the Indianapolis 500 honor flight.

That would be the P-51D 44-74878 N6306T, which belonged to the late Tom Wood and still operated on behalf of his family (along with his F-86 and F8F Bearcat). Personally, I think it has the ugliest paint scheme worn by a Mustang today, but that is just my own feeling. It's definitely a late 70's/80's era take on a WWII scheme.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    That would be the P-51D 44-74878 N6306T, which belonged to the late Tom Wood and still operated on behalf of his family (along with his F-86 and F8F Bearcat). Personally, I think it has the ugliest paint scheme worn by a Mustang today, but that is just my own feeling. It's definitely a late 70's/80's era take on a WWII scheme.
    I assume you're talking about the color green it's painted with?
    I love the markings it's meant to represent.

I agree with Bomber that the scheme is not up to the standards of the best restorers today. On the Tom Woods Aviation FB page they claim that the P-51 is nearly in original condition, but that scheme is certainly not up to what Aero in Danville, IL turns out for their customers. I think I have almost all of John's repaints for the P-51D's active in my FSX at this time; and magnificent they are. I'm going to see if I can stick my nose into the Woods' shop some day and take a peek. They do have an occasional open house (pre-Covid). At any rate, that 'Stang cruising across the sky (you hear it long before you see it) makes me want to yell "Cadillac of the sky!" when it passes over.

Members who have read this thread: 0