USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier

USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier

Richard (tgycgijoes) asked me to take a look at the USS Antietam CV-36 and asked if I could create it. It is the last carrier that
    is still missing from the Essex class carriers. After some time working on this model I started to do this carrier.
    Since I set a clear time limit for it, it will certainly not be the perfect model, but it should be "usable".

After WW II the USS Antietam CV-36 was rebuilt in 1951 as the first U.S. Navy angled-deck carrier. From 1957, she received further changes during
    the dockyard period and from then on, she was in duty as a training-carrier in the US Navy. So I will try to create the carrier in
    different construction stages, each of which represents the status of the changes.

It starts with the 1952 USS Antietam CV-36. The pictures below show what I have done so far. The textures are still completely
    wrong and there must also be various changes to the hull. But they give an impression of how it develops.

USS Antietam CV-36 in 1954

USS Antietam CV-36 in 1961

And the model from USS Antietam CV-36 in 1952 till now.

Looks great Klaus!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Once again a really good looking carrier...

Again a fine work...

Many greetings
    RS

Thank you Klaus. Looking forward to Antietam.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Es ist toll!! Great job, as usual

That looks really good!

Cees

Your work is terrific -

In this 1961 photo, the airplanes would be single engine T2J-1s and T-28Cs. The T2J-1 was re-designated the T-2A in 1962.

It looks like the T-28Cs are showing the transition period from the original all yellow scheme to the new orange and white scheme that was instituted around that time.

RAZBAM makes a model of the single engine T-2A in their excellent T-2 payware package. Maybe a chance to use it in a realistic setting. Make sure you add plenty of smoke at any power setting above idle!

She never was upgraded from this 1961 photo to any degree - no hurricane bow, the gun mounts stayed in place, etc. As the training carrier, much like LEX (CV-16 / AVT-16) she was stripped of any true offensive combat capability to save cost of maintenance as well as to keep her from being counted in the Navy's carrier force ("how many aircraft carriers do you have?" - etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Your work is terrific -

In this 1961 photo, the airplanes would be single engine T2J-1s and T-28Cs. The T2J-1 was re-designated the T-2A in 1962.

It looks like the T-28Cs are showing the transition period from the original all yellow scheme to the new orange and white scheme that was instituted around that time.

RAZBAM makes a model of the single engine T-2A in their excellent T-2 payware package. Maybe a chance to use it in a realistic setting. Make sure you add plenty of smoke at any power setting above idle!

She never was upgraded from this 1961 photo to any degree - no hurricane bow, the gun mounts stayed in place, etc. As the training carrier, much like LEX (CV-16 / AVT-16) she was stripped of any true offensive combat capability to save cost of maintenance as well as to keep her from being counted in the Navy's carrier force ("how many aircraft carriers do you have?" - etc)

If you zoom in on the high quality version of this photo, those are Skyraiders, they're taildraggers. I was surprised myself.

Photo is from here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ed_States_Navy

Thanks to all for the informations

Some new pics what she is looking till now. These are the two different versions side by side

Many things to change on both models. So it will take time

greetings
    Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    If you zoom in on the high quality version of this photo, those are Skyraiders, they're taildraggers. I was surprised myself.

Photo is from here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ed_States_Navy
    You are right! Skyraiders were used in the advanced phase of prop flight training at some points, out of NAS Corpus Christi. Much like the F-11 in advanced jet training, they faded away over time, and the few A-1 squadron fleet seats remaining were filled out of the jet pipeline, using the A-1 RAG for transition. I went through advanced jet with a few of these guys, and they usually went back to a jet seat, usually in A-4 or A-7 squadrons. John McCain got his wings at Corpus and initially went to an A-1 squadron on his first deployment, ran through some high power lines in Spain on a low level route - came back alive but the plane was pretty beat up --

Blog Entries
    Outstanding. There's been a large gap in the straight-to-angled deck transition for USN ships of the mid to late 50s period in FSX/P3D.

Will there be night lighting? I mean just the landing area lights, not necessarily the flood lights, which I believe came on much later periods anyway. But the ability to land at night would be really nice.

But it's looking really good, Klaus - thanks so much.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    ------------

Will there be night lighting? I mean just the landing area lights, not necessarily the flood lights, which I believe came on much later periods anyway. But the ability to land at night would be really nice.

But it's looking really good, Klaus - thanks so much.

dl
    As I recall, my initial experience on these ships had a mixture of red and white deck flood lighting at night. In the lat 70's the Navy developed Sodium-Vapor lighting, or "SOX" lights which I believe are still in use today. This lighting did not affect night vision as would normal white or yellowish lighting. It was a great improvement.

Will have a look on that deck night lighting... will see what i can do.

Just a short test layout with T-2 training configuration.

greetings
    Klaus

Looks great, Klaus! Love those Essex-class decks!

AD6/7s NAS Corpus VT-30 early 60's

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-1s VT-30.jpg   A-1s VT-30.jpg  

Are those exhaust streaks or is it painted black since it would be all exhaust streak?

Interesting some just have the wing tips painted day glow.

How were modex numbers assigned?

They painted a Black curved panel on the sides, it was curved to the rear. naturally it got covered with oil. various planes differed in paint schemes - I think because they had a constant turnover of planes transferred from the fleet that were 'wearing out" so to speak, and rather than making mods at the depot or install upgrade kits by intermediate maintenance crews, they saved money by using them for advanced training. These planes were not "full up rounds" like their counterparts still in fleet service.

A lot of the painting of orange was likely done by the squadron. Probably the different schemes reflect various points where TRACOM dictated a scheme for various reasons, or maybe they painted transfers in increments as they were available to the paint crews.

MODEX's were assigned by TRACOM, at least the first number, per squadron - after that the 2nd and 3rd were usually incremental as they came in or replaced. Official records for maintenance and operations were by BuNo, however. MODEX was obviously just an easier way for quick reference by maintenance, ops and air traffic control.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VT-30 AD side view.jpg  

They painted a Black curved panel on the sides, it was curved to the rear. naturally it got covered with oil. various planes differed in paint schemes - I think because they had a constant turnover of planes transferred from the fleet that were 'wearing out" so to speak, and rather than making mods at the depot or install upgrade kits by intermediate maintenance crews, they saved money by using them for advanced training. These planes were not "full up rounds" like their counterparts still in fleet service.

A lot of the painting of orange was likely done by the squadron. Probably the different schemes reflect various points where TRACOM dictated a scheme for various reasons, or maybe they painted transfers in increments as they were available to the paint crews.

MODEX's were assigned by TRACOM, at least the first number, per squadron - after that the 2nd and 3rd were usually incremental as they came in or replaced. Official records for maintenance and operations were by BuNo, however. MODEX was obviously just an easier way for quick reference by maintenance, ops and air traffic control.
    I was wondering if ATC used the Modex or the some subset of the BuNo

Thanks

I was used to this on AD's with regard to the exhaust streaks

First test in sim.... works fine so far. Both models side by side. (wip)

Beautiful!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    Shape and fit looks great Klaus!

I'm assuming you'll address the super shiny surface in your 4th screenshot? Looking forward to this model.

Kind regards,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I was wondering if ATC used the Modex or the some subset of the BuNo

Thanks

I was used to this on AD's with regard to the exhaust streaks
    That was typical in most cases. It may have been a short lived NAVAIR depot overhaul directive that was short-lived. However you will see the painted side panel on "left-handed spads" (A-1E, A-1Q etc) at times as well.

In my experience (60s to 90s), the Navy always filed with the tail code and modex - ie, VA-75 A-6 # 510 in CAG-3 on SARA would be called "Navy Alpha Charlie five one zero, descend and maintain FL220 --". P-3s, transports etc all had this type of scheme as well. Same with the Marines.

For Navy traffic control on a carrier, they just used the nose number - "five 10 ball", etc

Members who have read this thread: 1