USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier

I am again astonished by your work Klaus, this is really fantastic.
    Maybe a very humble suggestion on a detail: the wake is really long, there are some wake effect that might fit better.

Many thanks again for another tremendous aircraft carrier. The best ships in FSX that is for sure.

Different ship versions for the timeline with different deck layouts

F-9F Phanter, A-1 Skyraider, Grumman Guardian and S-51 Helicopter

North-American FJ-3 Fury and Piasecki HUP-2 Retriever helicopter

North American T-28 Trojan and SH-2 Seasprite helicopter

North American T-2 Buckeye and SH-2 Seasprite helicopter

Next to do is the night lightning.

Greetings
    Klaus

In the night ... first test (wip)

greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    In the night ... first test (wip)

greetings
    Klaus
    Yes - I love it! I really enjoyed seeing the other shots with the 1950s layouts, as well as the T-28 layout. Will enjoy this project in a big way.

Have you given consideration to the CV-14 USS Ticonderoga? Would complement the other Apollo Essex recovery ships, to say nothing of it's important role beforehand during Vietnam.

But in the meantime, thanks for the great progress shots.

Kind regards,

dl

And inside sim.....

greetings
    Klaus
    Last edited by klnowak; June 10th, 2020 at 14:09.

Been Out Of the Loop

Hey Klaus,

This looks fantastic, I am looking forward to the release. Thanks so much for tackling it. See, I told you in the PM all the guys who would appreciate it beside just me. Keep up the great work.

Flight Deck Lighting

I thought I remembered notes on other WWII Genl Booklets of Plans for other Aircraft Carriers when I was attaching flight deck pendants in MDCx to the straight deck Essex carriers. In the USS Antietam Genl Booklet I have, the flight deck center lights are specifically labeled as "yellow" the flight deck edge lights color is not specified so I am going to assume that is because they are white. There is also a row of lights just before the end of the angle called "forward runway lights". If these follow airfield pattern, I think they would be red but in the BurAero directive of 1945 they were red on the ends and white for the rest. I defer to the real carrier aviators like Mike71 if I am correct or not for this time period because after 2 hours of internet searches and every CNATRA pub I have on file including the CV Natops. I could not find out. There are also deck edge lights on the general booklet of plans deck plan for Antietam as well that border the entire flight deck. I don't believe that they were on during landing ops. You can find out volumes about the IFLOS system from its inception until now but not the lighting of the flight deck itself. Great John Wayne movie about that. Henry Fonda too in "His, Mine and Ours" with some really good carrier footage.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Hey Klaus,

This looks fantastic, I am looking forward to the release. Thanks so much for tackling it. See, I told you in the PM all the guys who would appreciate it beside just me. Keep up the great work.

Really looking forward to this as well. However, we still need a new Forrestal class set to bring the full complement of US CV's/CVA's/CVS's. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Really looking forward to this as well. However, we still need a new Forrestal class set to bring the full complement of US CV's/CVA's/CVS's. Just my $.02.
    Have a look at the SimWoks Studio Facebook side. They do work on the Forrestal just now.

greetings
    Klaus

I thought I remembered notes on other WWII Genl Booklets of Plans for other Aircraft Carriers when I was attaching flight deck pendants in MDCx to the straight deck Essex carriers. In the USS Antietam Genl Booklet I have, the flight deck center lights are specifically labeled as "yellow" the flight deck edge lights color is not specified------------------------
    I believe in those days, the edge lights and "runway end lights" were white. The ramp has always been red.

In 1980 (or around), the Navy did a big study of Carrier lighting, mostly because of the KENNEDY/BELKAP collision, caused partly by confusion caused by Carrier night lighting. This needed to be done in order to officially state the Navy's position regarding standard Carrier lighting as part of the "International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea" (COLREGS). Carriers had been justifiably criticized for non-standard, frequently changing lighting arrangements for many years - both by maritime trade around the world and within the surface Navy itself.

Today, deck edges are blue as best I recall, they have the "NIMITZ Crash pole" forward of the island with a masthead running light (white) and SOX / white flood lights to illuminate the bow in case of fire. This study also prioritized SOX lighting for all Carriers as a must-have priority. SOX lighting was on a couple of ships at the time, but the priority greatly improved the situation - at the expense of some other matters, of course; it always happens that way in the budget world.

My last tours included Carrier program management both in NAVSEA and the on the OPNAV staff in the Pentagon. I still have headaches from juggling budgets, changing minds in DoD and Congress, and a list of other PITA's too long to mention. The best part, believe it or not, was working with the Office of Naval Reactors. They were consistent, realistic, swung a big hammer of influence in the Navy and Congress, and would fully support you if you were on their team.

Nuclear Reactors

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    I believe in those days, the edge lights and "runway end lights" were white. The ramp has always been red.

In 1980 (or around), the Navy did a big study of Carrier lighting, mostly because of the KENNEDY/BELKAP collision, caused partly by confusion caused by Carrier night lighting. This needed to be done in order to officially state the Navy's position regarding standard Carrier lighting as part of the "International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea" (COLREGS). Carriers had been justifiably criticized for non-standard, frequently changing lighting arrangements for many years - both by maritime trade around the world and within the surface Navy itself.

Today, deck edges are blue as best I recall, they have the "NIMITZ Crash pole" forward of the island with a masthead running light (white) and SOX / white flood lights to illuminate the bow in case of fire. This study also prioritized SOX lighting for all Carriers as a must-have priority. SOX lighting was on a couple of ships at the time, but the priority greatly improved the situation - at the expense of some other matters, of course; it always happens that way in the budget world.

My last tours included Carrier program management both in NAVSEA and the on the OPNAV staff in the Pentagon. I still have headaches from juggling budgets, changing minds in DoD and Congress, and a list of other PITA's too long to mention. The best part, believe it or not, was working with the Office of Naval Reactors. They were consistent, realistic, swung a big hammer of influence in the Navy and Congress, and would fully support you if you were on their team.
    A good friend years ago was Brig Gen USAF retired who had fantastic stories. His LAST command was as Commanding General of Wright Patterson AFB. Prior to that he was at the Pentagon for all the rest from after WWII on. In the 1950's he was attached to Adm Hyman Rickover's staff. He used to joke about a time that Adm Rickover took him to lunch in the USN/USMC Flag Dining Room. He was a Captain at that time (USAF Capt). When he was entering the dining room with Adm Rickover, the Chief Of The Mess stopped him and asked him where he thought he was going pointing to the sign that said ADMIRALS AND CAPTAINS ONLY!. Adm Rickover turned to the Chief and said "he IS a Captain pointing to Stan's "railroad tracks". The chief let him in but on the way out Stan said that the chief had changed the signboard to read: ADMIRALS AND NAVY CAPTAINS ONLY!. lol!!! Stan started out as a ferry pilot of C46's and C47's in the USAAF. During Desert Storm he was recalled as a consultant. He had a lot of good stories to tell.

---good friend years ago was Brig Gen USAF retired -----attached to Adm Hyman Rickover's staff. .
    The reason NRO is so influential is that Rickover ensured that the position was both Navy and civilian. Director NRO also holds a seat on the civilian Nuclear Regulatory Commission, by act of Congress. Having two hats, the Director can influence any nuclear matters on the civilian side. Rickover could be a total A-hole, but he was no dummy and politically savvy.

Rickover could be a total A-hole, but he was no dummy and politically savvy.
    He may have been a total A-Hole, but he made the US Nuclear submarines some of the safest around.
    His Sub Safe program, double NDI and x-rays of all welds, etc were a huge leap forward. Even a small little weld someplace, like 1/4" weld on a totally insignifigant little pipe in the galley, for example, gets the double x-raying and such.
    Without Rickover, our nuclear subs might not have been the crew-safe, super killing machines they are.

Much like Gen. Dolittle, who fought tooth and nail to make the Air Force a separate, well funded service, Rickover knew what needed to be done, and made sure it got done. His way.

May have been a jerk, but that's what it takes to get anything done in the morass of Washington Politics, even in the Pentagon.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

A short four days holliday at the sea comes to a end.... back to work. Some new shots with some improvement on the models.

The USS Antietam in 1952 with all her guns on board....

And the USS Antietam in early 60th.... with new island and without her guns.

and the late 50th...to early 60th.... with C-2 Trader on deck.

I think i will come to an end in the near future... so it will not take too much time till upload. Just do the compiling to FSX. Will come in two versions for FSX and P3D

greetings
    Klaus

Richard (tgycgijoes) did a nice repaint for Tim Conrad's Skyraider (with permuission to release it with the models) and so i did a special version with this plane on deck. Thank you very much for this fine art of work Richard.
    Hope you will enjoy this model too.

and the C-2 Trader again.

greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Richard (tgycgijoes) did a nice repaint for Tim Conrad's Skyraider (with permuission to release it with the models) and so i did a special version with this plane on deck. Thank you very much for this fine art of work Richard.

greetings
    Klaus
    Hello Klaus,

That's looking absolutely delightful. I'm thrilled the mid- / late- 50s USN carrier aviation is getting some long-deserved attention. I never knew A-1s were used in this kind of training role, so it'll be wonderful to have another reason to dig that lovely Tim Conrad bird out. Still looks and flies great after so many years. Between this and the lovely Cougars and Banshees, there's lots of ways to enjoy this great period.

Best regards,

dl

greetings
    Klaus
    When I saw this spad in orange/white trainer colors as a VT (Trainer) it piqued my curiosity for pics and info of the real deal.

Found out this was part of the skyraider FAM training done at VT-30.

http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2015/09...ransition.html
    Last edited by gray eagle; June 16th, 2020 at 10:03.

All Because

All 'cause I spotted some SPADs on the stern. It is really interesting to me to learn more and more as I (we) examine the history and the background behind the aircraft and the ships we recreate. Thank you for that post on the training.

Blog Entries
    This is looking great - really looking forward to this package.

Thanks for the link, GE!

dl

Got it ready and upload will come soon. Some last shots.

greetings
    Klaus

Oh wow! Been checking regularly hoping for this very good news!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

This looks awesome,can’t wait land a jet on her,thanks for the hard work.

Blog Entries
    Yes, agreed. I was just thinking about this thread yesterday and was thrilled to see the updated screen shots.

Thanks so much in advance, Klaus!

DL

Klaus, the carrier and deck load-out look great. Am I correct that tgycgijoes' Spad repaint will be included in the CV package?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Klaus, the carrier and deck load-out look great. Am I correct that tgycgijoes' Spad repaint will be included in the CV package?
    I believe that’s what he mentioned earlier in the thread.

Hope all is well, Klaus.

Cheers,

DL

Members who have read this thread: 1