USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    GE, check your C-1 air.cfg to be sure you are not missing this entry: ---
    Not particularly relevant, but as my ageing memory vaguely recalls, the C-1 / S-2 / E-1 series actually squatted with the dual nose wheels slightly off the deck when a cat was put into tension before the shot. Anyone seen any film of this on the web?

Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    How often do you start a B-52 from the Nimitz class Carrier ?

Did not see any picture or got any information that the F-8 was part of operations on the USS-Antietam.

greetings
    Klaus

P.S.: But in one thing you are right... will have a look to the catapult length.... think they are to long on this model.
    That maybe so however, the Antietam was the last of the Essex carriers, I was assigned to an F-8 squadon that sailed on two Essex class carriers; I've seen A-3 sky warriors (Whales) land and launch from the decks as well.

Not as large as a B52 but much bigger then a F-8 Crusader. Touche'

BTW, recommend you brush up on history, ever hear of the Doolittle raid. A much smaller carrier (Yorktown) was used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

Viel Erfolg heute!
    Last edited by gray eagle; July 30th, 2020 at 04:26.

GE, check your C-1 air.cfg to be sure you are not missing this entry:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = x , y , z
    launch_bar_lug = x, y, z
    That came to mind. It doesn't have that entry.
    Don't know what variables to use for x,y,z

I can "Borrow" entry from another plane that sports a tailhook - trial/error
    unless you have those coordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I was just bringing to light that with the C-1 (first and only ac I launched) there was no bridle nor launch sequence like I am accustomed to with other carriers out there.
    One other thing, GE. The catapult bridal visual is part of the aircraft model, not the carrier, and it is triggered when (I think) the entries that expat listed above are activated. So if the bridal is not modeled into the aircraft you will never see one for that aircraft. The aircraft will, however, still launch once it is set up properly for carrier ops.

Cheers,

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    ... the C-1 / S-2 / E-1 series actually squatted with the dual nose wheels slightly off the deck when a cat was put into tension before the shot. Anyone seen any film of this on the web?
    Yes there are videos and lots of photos on the net of these Grummans under tension with the nose gear off the deck prior to launch.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

GE, give this a (cat) shot . .

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
    launch_bar_lug = 11.583333,0.00,-7.50
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

That came to mind. It doesn't have that entry.
    Don't know what variables to use for x,y,z

I can "Borrow" entry from another plane that sports a tailhook - trial/error
    unless you have those coordinates.

Try these:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot=14.5, 0, -5.5
    launch_bar_lug=16.0, 0, -7.5

Cees

My specs above are from the Shupe E-1B (similar geometry to the C-1) but you might try Cees's suggestion first.

This is from the Shupe C-1 FSX portover air.cfg:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot=1.30, 0.00, -0.80
    launch_bar_lug=1.30, 0.00, -3.80
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

My specs above are from the Shupe E-1B (similar geometry to the C-1) but you might try Cees's suggestion first.

This is from the Shupe C-1 FSX portover air.cfg:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot=1.30, 0.00, -0.80
    launch_bar_lug=1.30, 0.00, -3.80
    I used your specs here and it works. Thanks

Notice the right stab touching the 5" gun barrel. This plane is not big like a B-52 either.

Some of the Antietam models have crew standing on the port cat track which leaves me only other option to use stbd cat and snuggle next to the 5" gun mount.

Is there a way where some of these people can either be relocated or removed, In real life, the the air boss would have a fit with those guys especially with dude on cat track (circled in red)
    Other dudes maybe would of approached the plane after it stopped on cat track (troubleshooters or launch crew?)

Your Memory Serves You

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Not particularly relevant, but as my ageing memory vaguely recalls, the C-1 / S-2 / E-1 series actually squatted with the dual nose wheels slightly off the deck when a cat was put into tension before the shot. Anyone seen any film of this on the web?
    I remember our C1A COD being launched that way off the bow cat when the stern was occupied and it couldn't do a deck run which was more common in 1968-70, and here is a slideshow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqNc80bO-A

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I remember our C1A COD being launched that way off the bow cat when the stern was occupied and it couldn't do a deck run which was more common in 1968-70, and here is a slideshow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqNc80bO-A
    Great slides Richard.

I like the S2F-1 Tracker - "Stoof with the little roof"

I remember when on a West Pac on the Hancock, there was an "air show" for the crew that

consisted of the A-4/F8's and they would do a fly by to our port side then the air boss would announce

a high speed fly-by which consisted of a C1-A and E-1 "Willy Fudd". The Fudd and C1-A, risking internal hemorrhaging to the engines,

were building up speed, as they made their pass along side of us, the Fudd climbed above the C-1A into the sky (like a missing man formation)

with it's engines belching white smoke and pop...pop... popping...What a rush.
    Last edited by gray eagle; July 30th, 2020 at 12:24.

Slight correction, If I may?

E-1 Willy Fudd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	77989

E-2 Hawkeye

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	content_dam_mae_online_articles_2019_04_e_2d_11_april_2019.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	77990
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Speaking of the E-2,

"Millington Tower, XXXXX Speaking, can I help you sir?"
    "Yes, this is YYYYYYY speaking. I was watching the planes taking off from your airport just now..."
    "Yes ma'am?"
    "You may not believe this, but there's a flying saucer stealing one of your planes! I saw it! Big circular thing, flying away with a plane!"
    "Yes, ma'am. We'll look into this right away. Thank you. Good-bye..."
    *click*

Actual tower recording from NAS Millington, Tn., when I was there the first time, back in 78-79. I understand it took the tower personnel several minutes to stop laughing after they disconnected. That recording made it's way around the base pretty quickly.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Notice the right stab touching the 5" gun barrel. This plane is not big like a B-52 either.
    Some of the Antietam models have crew standing on the port cat track which leaves me only other option to use stbd cat and snuggle next to the 5" gun mount.
    The reason why the stab is touching the 5" is the cats are to long. They need to be shorter, they should not go past the forward elevator.
    The stbd side was closer to the bow and port was offset back from the stbd cat. When 2 a/c were set to launch they would be staggered
    from one another not side by side. Also the port cat needs to be straight not angled like it is. If you look at the colored pic included in the
    zip you can see how it should look. Also notice that they have a small blast shield behind the a/c.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Slight correction, If I may?

E-1 Willy Fudd

E-2 Hawkeye

Noted and corrected - I meant E-1....

Thanks Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    The reason why the stab is touching the 5" is the cats are to long. They need to be shorter, they should not go past the forward elevator.
    The stbd side was closer to the bow and port was offset back from the stbd cat. When 2 a/c were set to launch they would be staggered
    from one another not side by side. Also the port cat needs to be straight not angled like it is. If you look at the colored pic included in the
    zip you can see how it should look. Also notice that they have a small blast shield behind the a/c.

Joe
    Ah.... that 'splains it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post

Joe
    Yep, you can see that in the real world images Klaus provided in the opening post of this thread.

The reason for these issues is the flight deck has been "cut" from my old USS Lexington model and then "grafted" onto the hull of Colin's model. (I can tell from the layout, polygon and texture anomalies which I never got round to fixing which has resulted in Klaus' variant having textures which are not really required but are still embedded in the deck)

As a result of this merge of two different models (and hull shapes) nothing is going to 100% align and the deck layout (an SCB-127) isn't going to match. A better option would've been to leave the original deck by Michael and just add the angled deck extension. That way the catapults and deck layout would've aligned and more closely matched Antietam's austere fit.

That's just how I would've tackled it as well as adding the correct "pop up" blast deflectors - but hay...at the end of the day you guys have got the ship you were looking for!

Cheers
    Gary

Some of you are proficient with Model Converter X (I'm not). There are catapult start points in the .mdl file which maybe could be moved forward but it seems like a lot of monkey-motion for a minor detail.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Some of you are proficient with Model Converter X (I'm not). There are catapult start points in the .mdl file which maybe could be moved forward but it seems like a lot of monkey-motion for a minor detail.
    It's actually a very simple operation. I did it to the "Roosevelt" I modeled, it takes just a few minutes of adjusting the coordinates of the start and end points.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    It's actually a very simple operation. I did it to the "Roosevelt" I modeled, it takes just a few minutes of adjusting the coordinates of the start and end points.
    Will do that in a few days.... just no big problem.... but it means also to compile all the models for FSX and P3D another time. The textures also had to be changed.

Just now i`m playing around with CIMOGT`s USS Forrestal

You will find more information on this model in P3D section.

@ tgycgijoes

Richard ... your BB-34 USS NewYork is ready too. Must find a way to send it back to your hands. Hope that is ok for you.

greetings
    Klaus

Will do that in a few days.... just no big problem.... but it means also to compile all the models for FSX and P3D another time. The textures also had to be changed.

Just now i`m playing around with CIMOGT`s USS Forrestal

You will find more information on this model in P3D section.

@ tgycgijoes

Richard ... your BB-34 USS NewYork is ready too. Must find a way to send it back to your hands. Hope that is ok for you.

greetings
    Klaus
    Hello.

I do hope that when you are making changes to the carrier (Antietam) that you can relocate some of the deck people that are either standing on the catapult tracks or close to them.

That way, the catapult can be used.

Thanks

First one of the updated version. Much shorter catapult and crewman out of the way.

greetings
    Klaus

First one of the updated version. Much shorter catapult and crewman out of the way.

greetings
    Klaus
    Wow, Excellent! Looking good.

Members who have read this thread: 2