USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Antietam CV-36 - US Navy first angled-deck carrier

Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    After a long time of waiting for you....upload is done for FSX and P3D.

Just have fun with this model

greetings
    Klaus
    Thank you, Klaus!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

USS Antietam AI cfg file

I'm am now using a good cfg file for use in AI carriers however, I noticed that there is a model:

USS_Antietam1957_fury that doesn't show in AI carriers.

Here is what I have so fare (that works)

I made a cfg (Antietam.cfg) and it resided in the AI Carriers sub folder (conf.d)

[formation.0]
    title=USS_Antietam 1951
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1951, 0,0

[formation.1]
    title=USS_Antietam 1957
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957, 0,0

[formation.2]
    title=USS_Antietam 1957_T2
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_T2, 0,0

[formation.3]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_T28
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_T28, 0,0

[formation.4]
    title=USS_Antietam_1951_empty
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1951_empty, 0,0

[formation.5]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_empty
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_empty, 0,0

[formation.6]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_C2Trader
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_C2Trader, 0, 0

[formation.7]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_Skyrider
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_Skyrider, 0, 0

There is another model not yet configured for this cfg file that I am struggling to include.

USS_Antietam1957_fury

What I don't understand is why the CV-36_ entries after each unit= ?

P3D V4.5

What I would like to of seen on the flight deck is a mix of the different aircraft that are featured among
    the other different carrier models.

i.e, a mix of aircraft that features the Fury, the S2F, and the T-28 or AiH and maybe a C-1

as it is now, it's all of one kind of aircraft or none on the flight deck.

But, I do appreciate and like what is there now

Thank you

Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'm am now using a good cfg file for use in AI carriers however, I noticed that there is a model:

USS_Antietam1957_fury that doesn't show in AI carriers.

Here is what I have so fare (that works)

I made a cfg (Antietam.cfg) and it resided in the AI Carriers sub folder (conf.d)

[formation.0]
    title=USS_Antietam 1951
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1951, 0,0

[formation.1]
    title=USS_Antietam 1957
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957, 0,0

[formation.2]
    title=USS_Antietam 1957_T2
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_T2, 0,0

[formation.3]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_T28
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_T28, 0,0

[formation.4]
    title=USS_Antietam_1951_empty
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1951_empty, 0,0

[formation.5]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_empty
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_empty, 0,0

[formation.6]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_C2Trader
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957_C2Trader, 0, 0

[formation.7]
    title=USS_Antietam_1957_Skyrider

There is another model not yet configured for this cfg file that I am struggling to include.

USS_Antietam1957_fury

What I don't understand is why the CV-36_ entries after each unit= ?
    the unit.x line is the same as the title= line for the fltsim.x configuration of the boat you want to use from the sim.cfg file for that boat.

Gray Eagle,
    The Antietam with the FJ Furies on deck is "[formation.1]" in the .cfg file you compiled, the ship name just doesn't mention the FJ's. Here's the entry I made... I included "FJ's aboard" in the title so I'd know it when it appeared on the AICarriers menu:

[formation.XX]
    title=USS Antietam 1957 FJ's aboard
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957, 0, 0

As you can see, the FJ's showed up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antietam_FJ's.jpg  

Thanks for the info. That worked.
    I wish the ai.cfg for this boat was included in the zip file.

Did you notice two separate USS_Antietam1951_panther.md files in the zip?
    Looks like in MDX that both mdl's have panthers onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Gray Eagle,
    The Antietam with the FJ Furies on deck is "[formation.1]" in the .cfg file you compiled, the ship name just doesn't mention the FJ's. Here's the entry I made... I included "FJ's aboard" in the title so I'd know it when it appeared on the AICarriers menu:

[formation.XX]
    title=USS Antietam 1957 FJ's aboard
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1957, 0, 0

As you can see, the FJ's showed up.

What I would like to of seen on the flight deck is a mix of the different aircraft that are featured among
    the other different carrier models.

i.e, a mix of aircraft that features the Fury, the S2F, and the T-28 or AiH and maybe a C-1

as it is now, it's all of one kind of aircraft or none on the flight deck.

But, I do appreciate and like what is there now

Thank you

Klaus
    Everyone has the right to their own desires, but these fine iterations were intended to be for the ship in a dedicated training role. As such, the ship was used to meet CQ requirements for the training Command VT squadrons as well as some Replacement Carrier Air Groups ("RAGs" - initial or recurrent type training squadrons).

As such it was typical to only run an ops period for only one or two types of aircraft at a time. This eliminated the need to be constantly re-rigging the cat Van Zelm bridle system for several different types of plane, which was no small matter. Also it was typical for some pilots to have been "walk aboards" before the ship left port, and "hot seating" aircraft as other pilots qualified.

With respect to Skyraider and TS-2A VT squadrons, they would have the deck to themselves (deck launching - they got their first cat shots in a RAG after they got their wings) for a period, keeping the jets out of the way except for any "duds".

A C-1 might show up here and there with more pilots from the RAG squadrons. TS-2A's had plenty of room for fly aboard students in the back of those planes flown by instructors (usually LSOs).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Everyone has the right to their own desires, but these fine iterations were intended to be for the ship in a dedicated training role. As such, the ship was used to meet CQ requirements for the training Command VT squadrons as well as some Replacement Carrier Air Groups ("RAGs" - initial or recurrent type training squadrons).

As such it was typical to only run an ops period for only one or two types of aircraft at a time. This eliminated the need to be constantly re-rigging the cat Van Zelm bridle system for several different types of plane, which was no small matter. Also it was typical for some pilots to have been "walk aboards" before the ship left port, and "hot seating" aircraft as other pilots qualified.

With respect to Skyraider and TS-2A VT squadrons, they would have the deck to themselves (deck launching - they got their first cat shots in a RAG after they got their wings) for a period, keeping the jets out of the way except for any "duds".

A C-1 might show up here and there with more pilots from the RAG squadrons. TS-2A's had plenty of room for fly aboard students in the back of those planes flown by instructors (usually LSOs).
    With regards to a diverse collection of aircraft on the Antietam, it did serve in the Korea war as a CVA then CVS before its transition to a training aircraft carrier that consisted then of one type of aircraft. Your point taken in its role as a training carrier.

I had made mention of populating the flight deck with a "mix" of aircraft that might of been assigned in its role in the Korean War as a CVA and or CVS and perhaps I was not lucid in that regards.
    I know the author perhaps had training carrier in mind. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Ok, which of the models will show the panther and the skyraider in AI carriers, i.e. what would be the formation recipe in AI carriers?

Thanks

Ok, which of the models will show the panther and the skyraider in AI carriers, i.e. what would be the formation recipe in AI carriers?
    Thanks
    Gray Eagle, here ya go...

[formation.XX]
    title=USS Antietam 1951 F9F's
    unit.0=CV-36_USS_Antietam_1951, 0, 0

[formation.XX]
    title=USS Antietam 1957 Spads

[formation.XX]

[formation.XX]
    But, to be clear, this does not show both the panther and skyraider at the same time....one or the other.

With regards to a diverse collection of aircraft on the Antietam, it did serve in the Korea war as a CVA then CVS before its transition to a training aircraft carrier that consisted then of one type of aircraft. Your point taken in its role as a training carrier.

I had made mention of populating the flight deck with a "mix" of aircraft that might of been assigned in its role in the Korean War as a CVA and or CVS and perhaps I was not lucid in that regards.
    I know the author perhaps had training carrier in mind. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Both pictures were taken on the carrier without the angeled deck. The USS Antietam was part of Korean War.... that`s right.... but not in the outfit with angled deck.

But if you want to start another combination of planes... both carrier versions come with a model withoput planes. So you will be able to do your own combination of decklayouts without problems.

greetings
    Klaus

[formation.XX]

[formation.XX]
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    But, to be clear, this does not show both the panther and skyraider at the same time....one or the other.
    This one does.

Catapults

Are the catapults functional? Can't cat launch C1 from ship.

Are the catapults functional? Can't cat launch C1 from ship.
    CODs would normally deck launch!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    CODs would normally deck launch!
    I've done that with all the prop planes. The jet types would need a cat shot me thinks.

Looks like the cat shot keys don't work with this ship.

I've done that with all the prop planes. The jet types would need a cat shot me thinks.

Looks like the cat shot keys don't work with this ship.
    Oh yes they do!

Cees

Rcbco

If for some reason you can't get them to work you can always install Rob Barendregt's RCBCO-30 and you have a catapult gauge and arrestor cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Oh yes they do!

Cees
    Maybe they do Cees, maybe they do...... I was trying to cat launch one of Uncle Milton's C-1's on this ship and keys did not
    respond with any bridle's.......

I think one of the flight deck crew was just eaten by this F-8 - This was on empty deck config.

Tried the stbd cat and things are a little tight with the 5" gun mount. Know what I mean Vern?

I"ve launched aircraft from both cats with no problem, including the models with aircraft parked on the cat. The cats still work even with planes parked on them.

I"ve launched aircraft from both cats with no problem, including the models with aircraft parked on the cat. The cats still work even with planes parked on them.
    I was just bringing to light that with the C-1 (first and only ac I launched) there was no bridle nor launch sequence like I am accustomed to with other carriers out there.

Also, With the "empty" deck scenario there were a few of the crew that were either on or too close to the port cat ( see my 1st screen shot). On the stbd cat,(2nd screenshot)

the right horizontal stab on the F-8 bumps into the 5" gun mount. Just an observation........

I can launch the F-8 with no cat issues i.e., no absence of bridle and it will fling this aircraft off the bow.....

GE, check your C-1 air.cfg to be sure you are not missing this entry:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = x , y , z
    launch_bar_lug = x, y, z
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

....the right horizontal stab on the F-8 bumps into the 5" gun mount. Just an observation........ .....
    How often do you start a B-52 from the Nimitz class Carrier ?

Did not see any picture or got any information that the F-8 was part of operations on the USS-Antietam.

greetings
    Klaus

P.S.: But in one thing you are right... will have a look to the catapult length.... think they are to long on this model.

Members who have read this thread: 2