Non CFS3 export problem

Thread: Non CFS3 export problem

Question Non CFS3 export problem

I have had a problem with gmax exporting to non-cfs3 model types since getting a new computer some time ago. Exporting to CFS3 is fine but when I try to export to MDL or MD3(quake) the mesh gets corrupted. I can scale up the object and get smaller errors but they are still there and it adds some extra steps I'd like to avoid.

In the screenie the green torus is the original gmax model while the blue one has been exported by MakeMDL , opened in modelconverterx, exported from MCX as 3ds and re-imported to gmax. Looks bad in MCX too.

Hope someone can help.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails torus.jpg  

How big (or small) is the wonky part, Steve? MakeMDL may start welding vertices closer together than 4mm IIRC. Also, is the part fully collapsed to e-poly, or is it a line with thickness applied at creation in Gmax?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

That's similar to what I was going to say!

You can see that the polys have be divided, which in Gmax, I'm not sure if that is an auto process which you stop happening, by altering export settings.

I bet Steve, is that you had it set up how you wanted on the old pc, and just haven't adjusted that on the new-ish installation.

A tea/coffee...a biscuit, sit in front of Gmax..and it will be a light-bulb moment.

Cheers

Shessi

How big (or small) is the wonky part, Steve? MakeMDL may start welding vertices closer together than 4mm IIRC. Also, is the part fully collapsed to e-poly, or is it a line with thickness applied at creation in Gmax?
    mm
    It was just a torus test object about a 0.3 meters in diameter. Vertices are more than 4mm apart, actually about 8mm apart. Collapsing to e-poly did not seem to help .

A tea/coffee...a biscuit, sit in front of Gmax..and it will be a light-bulb moment.
    still looking for that light-bulb moment

thanks guys

Icon5

Steve,
    Does this 'corruption' happen at the point of export as an .MD3 .MDL file from Gmax?

If it does then???, must be a Gmax export setting? If it appears ok as you import into MCX, you could try an older version of MCX. I use v12 and 13 for FS/CFS stuff, and they do work slightly differently.

Can I ask why do you need to go to MD3/MDL files, and then in/out of MCX?

Cheers

Shessi

Does this 'corruption' happen at the point of export as an .MD3 .MDL file from Gmax?

If it does then???, must be a Gmax export setting? If it appears ok as you import into MCX, you could try an older version of MCX. I use v12 and 13 for FS/CFS stuff, and they do work slightly differently.

Can I ask why do you need to go to MD3/MDL files, and then in/out of MCX?
    Shessi,
    Yes , the corruption happens at the point of export. Since it happens to both MD3 and MDL models, I assume its not MCX. Model is corrupt when viewing in different programs .Do you know a way to change Gmax export settings?

I sometimes like to use Blender so I can either go gmax->MD3->Blender or gmax->MDL->MCX(3ds)->Blender. Just started experimenting with Blender's mapping tools.

Steve

Sorry Steve,
    No, I only dabble with Gmax for a few basic things. I would have thought Ted would be a person to talk to, or Milton Shupe as he is a master Gmaxer for settings or issues.

As you say Blender seems to be the new free/cheap go-to build prog (and very good, again I use it for odd bits only)...trouble is it's another prog and processes to learn...dohhh!

Cheers

S

The only thing I can think about atm is in Gmax's preferences:–

The Distance from origin sets Resulting Accuracy — I've never knowingly adjusted this, but do occasionally stomp around in the settings to see what happens. Perhaps check it on your setup?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The only thing I can think about atm is in Gmax's preferences:–
    thanks Tom, it was worth a look but my numbers are the same as yours.

As you say Blender seems to be the new free/cheap go-to build prog (and very good, again I use it for odd bits only)...trouble is it's another prog and processes to learn...dohhh!
    yeah , I struggle with it too. So far I've only used it for some mapping and LOD work.

Steve

To the Gmax user, Blender is weird. The Blender user finds Gmax bizarre. C’est la vie.
    Tom

Icon26

You find Blender weird (and vice versa)...I use FSDS...you're all weird! ha ha...

Cheers

Shessi

p.s. I hope you get it sorted Steve, as your 'pits (not arm!) are beautiful...

Members who have read this thread: 0