Sometimes you do things you already regret before ......

Thread: Sometimes you do things you already regret before ......

Icon22 Sometimes you do things you already regret before ......

they are finished.............

I have always liked the unusual models by Mitsuya Hamaguchi. They look great, wonderful animations and they are just fun.

Years ago the BBC used to broadcast old movies on Saturday afternoon. These were often war movies made not too long after the war. One of the movies I can still remember very well was "Ice cold in Alex". Which had an Austin K2 ambulance called Katy in the leading role. Well actually two Austin K2s as they used an original one for the street and road shots, and they had a modified one on a 4x4 chassis for the desert shots.

So it was more or less logical that I would repaint the wonderful Austin K2 by Hama as the ambulance from the movie.

After a few hours I started to realise that the model and textures were so detailed, that it would take me very long to repaint. After 2 days I already started to regret that I had started and after a week I finally had just finished the first texture which covered most of the external model. But there is no way back so after 9 days I nearly have the basic external paintwork finished. Except the weathering, which will take an additional 2 or 3 days.

After that I need to paint the interior for at least a week.........

Actually, it looked quite nice when it was its original green as well. Why couldn't I just drive the green version? The movie was in black and white. So Katy could even have been RAF gray!

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice work Huub.

Regarding the old British war movies on TV, I remember watching all those as a kid and distinctly remember 'Ice cold in Alex'. It's lead actor, John Mills, starred in many other war movies and many regular movies too. His daughters, Juliet Mills and Hayley Mills, also became much loved British actresses and his son, Jonathan Mills, became a director.
    Larry

Very nice Huub, a cracking model/textures and film . When you've finished Katy perhaps you could consider HMS Compass Rose from the film "The Cruel Sea".

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    they are finished.............

I have always liked the unusual models by Mitsuya Hamaguchi. They look great, wonderful animations and they are just fun.

Years ago the BBC used to broadcast old movies on Saturday afternoon. These we often war movies made not too long after the war. One of the movies I can still remember very well was "Ice cold in Alex". Which had an Austin K2 ambulance called Katy in the leading role. Well actually two Austin K2s as they used an original one for the street and road shots, and they had a modified one on a 4x4 chassis for the desert shots.

So it was more or less logical that I would repaint the wonderful Austin K2 by Hama as the ambulance from the movie.

After a few hours I started to realise that the model and textures were so detailed, that it would take me very long to repaint. After 2 days I already started to regret that I had started and after a week I finally had just finished the first texture which covered most of the xsternal model. But there is no way back so after 9 days I nearly have the basic external paintwork finished. Except the weathering, which will take an additional 2 or 3 days.

After that I need to paint the interior for at least a week.........

Actually, it looked quite nice when it was its original green as well. Why couldn't I just drive the green version? The movie was in black and white. So Katy could even have been RAF gray!

Cheers,
    Huub

We all make mistakes sometimes, Huub . But that makes us human! And at least it "keeps you off the street". And it prevents you from doing mischief hahaha.

Great work!!!!

hertzie

Great work Huub! I've done the same too....we are all human!
    Mark

Ice cold in alex

Huub,
    I was deeply impressed by that 'Black and White' Goldie back in the day, which I watched with my Father. Am surprised no one has mentioned my first screen love - Sylvia Sims. I thought she was just so nice!

As an 'Army Brat' in the '50's and 60's, I often used to ride in my Father's Jeep when he came home for lunch at some remote garrison or other. Also had many rides in Austin and Bedford trucks, and once a trip over Sennelager ranges in a GMC half-track. All of these vehicles had real leather or canvas covered seats and all had the distinctive smell of engine and gun oil, coupled to the musty smell of the canvas canopy waterproofing MAGIC.

My father was in the Royal Engineers and when we talked about the Austin ambulance in the film, he told me of the long jetties of military transport, connected by planks that the engineers constructed out into the sea at Dunkirk, so that troops could be picked up even at quite high tide times.

Hope you locate an original Austin in Holland for the sound effects.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

Rgds Mal

Cool The repaint is finished

And even the interior has received a fresh coat of paint

Just for the unlikely case somebody is interested, I will upload this repaint (soonish).

And the real Austin K(athy) 2, with "the other nurse" (Diane Clare)

Cheers,
    Huub

Members +
    YES Pleeeze!!

Just a thought.. Do you take requests?
    I would love the Austin done in a Steampunk texture.. (Thats a Victorian/gears/vintage look)
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

... Just for the unlikely case somebody is interested, I will upload this repaint (soonish). ...
    Huub, you keep saying things like this, and we keep saying that we ARE interested. Please upload it, please, pretty please,
    thanks in advance,
    Ro

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Huub, you keep saying things like this, and we keep saying that we ARE interested. Please upload it, please, pretty please,
    thanks in advance,
    Ro

Its available in the library, but I really wonder how many of us do drive cars in a flight simulator and who will bother to install a repaint......

Cheers,
    Huub

Its available in the library, but I really wonder how many of us do drive cars in a flight simulator and who will bother to install a repaint......

Cheers,
    Huub
    Me... I still drive around Gutersloh in Hama's 'Stolly'
    (Alvis Stalwart) amphibious truck or take his SRN.6 Winchester class hovercraft for an outing in Hong-Kong

Ttfn

Pete

Huub,

This is a beautiful repaint. Excellent work and thanks for sharing!

I know this is the FS9 forum, but I have moved on to FSX and have never been able to use Hama's FS9 vehicles there since the glass all shows up as black. Have never found FSX updates either. I've tried all the tricks I know to correct, but no joy. Do you (or anyone else here) know if it's possible to make this change without access to the model? I've never done anything with MCX, but would give it a shot if that could be a solution.

Regards,

Michael
    Plano, TX

Michael,

There is a FSX/P3D conversion for the K2 available at Flightsim. Search for the file name "austin_k2ambulance.zip". He also made a nice RAF livery for the K2. (austin_k2_raf.zip).

Below an image from this K2 Ambulance with my repaint on it in FSX.

I also realised that I made my repaint on a model from which I removed the "gloss". When anybody likes to have this modified model file, he/she can write me an PM with his/her e-mail and I will send it.

Cheers,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2023
    Now forgive me for my Yankness. Didn't the Queen drive an ambulance in the war?

Sean

Yes she did............... (well at least the British Queen did).

Or was she a mechanic?

https://mashable.com/2015/04/22/quee...y/?europe=true

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for the pointer to the FSX version, Huub. I had been using the search term "Hama", and that wasn't picking this one up!

Much appreciated.

Michael

Members who have read this thread: 0