XF-103 is up at Flightsim!!!

Thread: XF-103 is up at Flightsim!!!

XF-103 is up at Flightsim!!!

Just a heads up the XF-103 is up at Flightsim.com

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Brian

Cool! Was just wondering about this one the other day!

Hopefully, he'll finish his XFV-12A next. I'll pick up the XF-103 as soon as I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hopefully, he'll finish his XFV-12A next.
    The Navy repainters would have a heyday with that.

Any VC shots?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Here you go...

The OMS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VC2.jpg   VC1.jpg  

Took it for a little flight out of Edwards today.

Pro: Gorgeous VC, well-done model, the periscope system is really well done, very good animations, flies very well

Con: Switch programming is a little buggy (they don't always do what they're labeled to), ramjet system is confusing

Overall a win. Already considering what ADC squadrons need F-103As.

I love this plane, especially the VC. The main issue I found is the weapons switches aren't really tied to the specific weapon. Take the whole row of the weapons switches and divide into four equal segment areas, from left to right and that is how you open them, 1 through 4. Don't actually click on the switches. Having said that the actual switches move for the appropriate weapons. Such as, when you click the right most area, 4, for the FFARs, the proper switches move in the VC and open. Not a big deal when you figure it out. The switch areas could be a little larger as you have to click a very specific spot with regard to some of the other switches.

My other gripes are a massive phugoid above about Mach 2.5 and the metal textures need to be lightened up. Granted, I fly it in P3D, so that may be part of it. I also changed the sounds to my Alpha F-105D (The newest release of it, not the free one). The sound fits it, IMHO.

I'm just being picky with the above issues, as I never thought I would fly this in FS and I love the view from the VC, it's very immersive, especially when the safety capsule closes.

Also, at least in P3D, I had to change the ATC ID and tail number to be strictly numbers without any other character to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hopefully, he'll finish his XFV-12A next.
    But do you do a realistic flight model there, or an imaginary one where they somehow made the vertical thrust work?

(The XFV-12A never made it past hover testing because it didn't create enough thrust for VTOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmsgt View Post
    Here you go...

The OMS
    Thank You but the are from package I suppose, not of user?
    Not many time for me to install it now but this model looks promising.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Beast

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Blog Entries
    I'm thrilled to see projects like this. I had a quick look myself last night, and it is a real gem, just his XF-91. Apart from my personal interest in 50s/60s era experimental aircraft, I'm thrilled there's still folks who are willing to make these off-the-beaten path creations, freeware, no less.

Rallymodeller, some repaints of this would be delightful. Would you consider either a mid 50s NACA or late 50s NASA flashed prototype? Something like the Douglas D-588-2, Bell X-2, or even the later XB-70 - would be a perfect guise for testing at Edwards ...

Thanks to Uenoshing for a great set of experimental aircraft. He's been working on these literally for years - they're worth a look.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    But do you do a realistic flight model there, or an imaginary one where they somehow made the vertical thrust work?

(The XFV-12A never made it past hover testing because it didn't create enough thrust for VTOL.)
    I would make it as if it didn't suffer the duct losses and it worked. I was always disappointed that they never at least flew it in CTOL mode.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    That crew capsule reminds me of a Peel 50 bubble car of the 1960s.

Peel was probably a Republic owned company.
    Gives me some idea for my next Falcon rocket...

Blog Entries
    Does it have the same or similar adverse yaw characteristics as the X-3 and F-104???

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    I'm thrilled to see projects like this. I had a quick look myself last night, and it is a real gem, just his XF-91. Apart from my personal interest in 50s/60s era experimental aircraft, I'm thrilled there's still folks who are willing to make these off-the-beaten path creations, freeware, no less.

Rallymodeller, some repaints of this would be delightful. Would you consider either a mid 50s NACA or late 50s NASA flashed prototype? Something like the Douglas D-588-2, Bell X-2, or even the later XB-70 - would be a perfect guise for testing at Edwards ...

Thanks to Uenoshing for a great set of experimental aircraft. He's been working on these literally for years - they're worth a look.

dl
    What if she were accepted by the Air Force? What squadrons would she have flown for? Where? Export versions?

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Does it have the same or similar adverse yaw characteristics as the X-3 and F-104???
    Those aircraft didn't have adverse yaw problems, their wingspans were too short. They had roll-yaw coupling issues if one tried to roll them too much, which lead to the fuselage's inertia overcoming the low aerodynamic damping of the flight surfaces. Having said that, I only rolled it once, not multiple times, but it did seam to diverge a little during that one roll, so it might be modeled.

Coupling Dynamics in Aircraft: A Historical Perspective. That's a NASA PDF on this phenomena, if anyone wants a deeper dive into the subject.
    Last edited by Sundog; June 3rd, 2020 at 17:19.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    That crew capsule reminds me of a Peel 50 bubble car of the 1960s.
    It does, doesn't it? Jeremy Clarkson or The Hamster?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post

dl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-103.jpg  
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post

Nice

The year I was born

There's a 1.1 version up now at Flightsim.com and Simviation with some fixes to the shape and other tweaks.

This thing needs PBR....and needs to be exported to FS2020 when the time comes....LOL I'm such a sucker for X-planes and prototype what-ifs....
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Is there a Paintkit available?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3_2.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0